Estes gives you the chance to bring one rocket back. What would it be?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess this question is another way of asking "what is your favorite OOP rocket?"

For me it is the "U.S.S. Atlantis" kit produced from 1976 to 1980. I always thought it was an excellent combination of a flyable design and something that captured the "flavor" of the Star Trek universe. I even made a custom display base for mine.

At one time, I had 3 or 4 of these but now I only have the one I built. If I ever want to do another one it would have to be a clone I guess.
More Rockets does a reproduction of the U.S.S. Atlantis and several other rockets.

This thread is a couple of years old now and have already posted this, but just in case any one with some pull at Estes just might be looking: ;)

LTV Scout!!!

Very difficult to clone due to all of the odd, scale tube sizes and plastic bits. It was a great flyer too! It would be brilliant with some of the new motors that weren't available back then.

If they ever re-pop this kit I'd buy a bunch of 'em...

PLEAZZZZZZ!!!!
1287_80.jpg

Probably been mentioned but my choice would be the Trident. I built one of these in 1974ish. Tricky build with the ports to the upper section for chute ejection. As I recall, it was a successful launch. I see Apogee makes one.

Attachments

• trident.jpg
    trident.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 9
Apogee sells the Semroc repro. The gas passages are laser cut and there is a nice assembly jig in the kit....makes it MUCH easier to build. I've close to 20 flights on mine and it always turns heads when I bring it out. It looks like Apogee is out and so is eRockets.biz (who actually makes this repro now). I wonder what the issue is.....

Apogee sells the Semroc repro. The gas passages are laser cut and there is a nice assembly jig in the kit....makes it MUCH easier to build. I've close to 20 flights on mine and it always turns heads when I bring it out. It looks like Apogee is out and so is eRockets.biz (who actually makes this repro now). I wonder what the issue is.....
eRockets (and Semroc) owner Randy Broadway was on The Model Rocket Show podcast last episode - he said the primary reason so many Semroc kits aren’t currently available right now is the worldwide balsa wood shortage. According to Randy they can’t get enough quality balsa stock to make nose cones. Hopefully when more balsa (or a different wood Randy mentioned that I can’t recall) becomes available we’ll see more Semroc kits on the shelf. He also said that they aren’t going to keep slow or non-selling kits in stock but I don’t think that’s the case with the Trident especially after they developed those assembly jigs.

I am a big fan of the scale stuff so the Mercury Redstone, Sidewinder, Phoenix, AMRAAM and the ever popular V-2 are what I would like to see on hobby store shelves. All of these kits should also be able to use at least an E motor.

Just finished reading the whole thread.
A good majority of us want to see rockets from the Space Race days to the full stack Shuttle.
I would have to agree that those would probably sell the best for a certain age group, as memorabilia.
Myself included, but I would like them all in the same scale so when displayed they represent the as was to scale view.
And some for those that like a challenging build, I'm sure some would be. Especially if towers were from dowels.
For the younger age group the best selling probably would be the Fantasy Kits.
In any case, anything brought back would sell well, history has proven that.
While the "Classics" line didn't do as well as Estes had hoped, it was under a difficult time.
I think if "Classics" line was brought back today it would do much better than before. But a few more kits to the list.
During the lock down of covid, I'm sure many kits were ordered to build to take up extra free time.
It's too bad Estes wasn't better prepared with more bring backs at the beginning of the lock down.
I did like the idea of picking a catalog of a certain year and bring back all that was in it.
Who wouldn't have to buy every kit in the catalog?

Raven. Or at least the Ravens decals and paint scheme.

image-estes-raven-glamour-shotjpg-400-600-114620212926730.jpg

But with improved fins. Maybe a plastic fin unit, or ply fins of a more modern shape. The High Flyer fins would be perfect, but then it would literally be a High Flyer XL. A longer stubbier fin would be nice. Like the Mach 1 Alien Interceptor has. Or simply extend the fins to the end of the tube. Any way you cut it, that rocket needed more surface area to keep the fins glued on.

Black Brant 3:
WP_003443.jpg

Estes is well aware of the Alpha 3's popularity. But if we fix improve the Alpha 1, you pretty much get the Bb3. Smaller fins. Longer tube for easier chute packing, less rolling up, more barf. Pointy nose cone. Cool realistic nozzle.

These are still in stock nearly everywhere. Maybe when stock is depleted they'll bring it back. I stocked up on a few just incase.

Last edited:
eRockets (and Semroc) owner Randy Broadway was on The Model Rocket Show podcast last episode - he said the primary reason so many Semroc kits aren’t currently available right now is the worldwide balsa wood shortage. According to Randy they can’t get enough quality balsa stock to make nose cones. Hopefully when more balsa (or a different wood Randy mentioned that I can’t recall) becomes available we’ll see more Semroc kits on the shelf. He also said that they aren’t going to keep slow or non-selling kits in stock but I don’t think that’s the case with the Trident especially after they developed those assembly jigs.
And I can see how that would especially affect the Trident, since there are nine nose cones involved. eRockets' nose cones after they bought Semroc from Sheryl have generally not been as high quality and usually of even softer wood than those Carl and Bruce made, though they've been generally usable. But yeah, low density balsa has been hard to get in hobby supply channels.

Estes Executioner, maybe with Bass wood fins and 29/38 mm motor option.
Sounds like an Aerotech Initiator, LOC Graduator, Dynastar Amarok or Sky Torpedo, Discount Rocketry Arrow, Madcow Discovery or North Coast Bounty Hunter could fit that list of requirements nicely…or grab a Super Big Bertha and a B/PNC-80K nose cone from Balsa Machining and gin up a clone 😎

Last edited:
And I can see how that would especially affect the Trident, since there are nine nose cones involved. eRockets' nose cones after they bought Semroc from Sheryl have generally not been as high quality and usually of even softer wood than those Carl and Bruce made, though they've been generally usable. But yeah, low density balsa has been hard to get in hobby supply channels.
I’ve noticed a definite variation in the quality of Semroc cones from eRockets - most have been very, very good with some just sort of ok. None have been badly done or of poor quality but definitely some are better than others.

We’re going to make a trip to Dayton eventually for a launch with the WSR club, a visit to eRockets and the AF Museum just not sure when that’s going to happen…

Sounds like an Aerotech Initiator, LOC Graduator, Dynastar Amarok or Sky Torpedo, Discount Rocketry Arrow, Madcow Discovery or North Coast Bounty Hunter could fit that list of requirements nicely…or grab a Super Big Bertha and a B/PNC-80K nose cone from Balsa Machining and gin up a clone 😎
Brilliant! I was just looking at the build specs, saved me the trouble.

Raven. Or at least the Ravens decals and paint scheme.

image-estes-raven-glamour-shotjpg-400-600-114620212926730.jpg

But with improved fins. Maybe a plastic fin unit, or ply fins of a more modern shape. The High Flyer fins would be perfect, but then it would literally be a High Flyer XL. A longer stubbier fin would be nice. Like the Mach 1 Alien Interceptor has. Or simply extend the fins to the end of the tube. Any way you cut it, that rocket needed more surface area to keep the fins glued on.

Black Brant 3:
WP_003443.jpg

Estes is well aware of the Alpha 3's popularity. But if we fix improve the Alpha 1, you pretty much get the Bb3. Smaller fins. Longer tube for easier chute packing, less rolling up, more barf. Pointy nose cone. Cool realistic nozzle.

These are still in stock nearly everywhere. Maybe when stock is depleted they'll bring it back. I stocked up on a few just incase.

I agree on the Raven. Never could wrap my head around why the Raven and the Dark Star went away so quickly. I have a pair of each hanging on the wall waiting to be built someday.

I can cut my own vinyl so reproducing the decals for the raven is pretty easy. If anyone need set, let me know.

Likely because the fins fall off of them too easy.

I might have to scratch build a Raven. With fins extended and squared to the end of the tube.

Latest posts

Back