Estes E9-4 & E9-6 CATO (pics)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased this at the Hobby Lobby in Eagan Minnesita, which is having its grand opening NOW. I purchased it 2 hours before I used it.

I am trying to be light hearted about it, but thank God I had a 50ft lead.... any shorter and I think hearing damage for myself and my kids was a real possibility.

Last edited:
Hello,
I have been lurking for a few months but this is the 1st information that I had to add.

Yesterday, I was launching off rockets with my kids and some friends, It was a great day. We had launched my 9yo son's scratch built rocket on an Aerotech e20, which was awesome. I was ready to go home, but one of the kids wanted to see my Estes V2 fly. Now, the funny thing is I had actually read this thread a few days ago, but that morning I went to the new Hobby Lobby near me, and , well, if I am going to get 40% off, it was going to be on the most expensive motors; Estes E9-4.

Ok, ok I will launch it off (twist my arm). I actually put a D12 in it, then thought, what the hell. What are the odds of trouble. Pulled it out and stuck in the E9-4.

5..4..3..2 ..1 KA-BAM!

It may have lifted off the rod, but it happened so fast I don't know. It was like an M80 going off.

I took this picture to send to Estes, so I thought I may as well post it here. I didn't keep all of the pieces.

View attachment 300964

engine code was A 01 12 16

Kids thought it was awesome!

It's been stated before but please fill out a MESS form for this motor.

E9's and E12's cato with such regularity that it's almost a running gag. I'm sure it puts a real strain on Estes' customer service (which I have found is excellent, BTW, from MY E12 cato). They must be doing pretty well to be able to give away stuff every time one of these things blows up.

It's not like composite motors don't cato either, they just make a bigger (and more expensive) bang. Just ask anybody who's seen more than one AT L1000 DMS motor...

Sorry to hear that, they are a crap shoot and used to be one of my favorite motors. I have ALOT of E9. Good news, you can still fly those E's - but use an Art Applewhite paper plate saucer or stealth cardboard saucer! Cheap, fun and can deplete all your E's, kids love them

Someone ought to be able to make a BP E motor that won't blow up. Aerotech/Quest? CTI? Someone? Anyone? Bueller...? Estes response to this is just unacceptable, IMO.

Don't hold your breath on getting BP Es from anyone else. As I said earlier, I think there is a good chance that something has happened to the process, the materials or whatever over at Estes. I see one date code from 01, but the rest of the suspect codes are 10 or more years after their release.

No way you will see any competition in the BP motor area. FSI has been coming back for how many years now? The Regulatory and Certification requirements are immense; so STAY out of the business! Monopolies are GOOD and at least it has kept motor production in the USA. And don't think you are going to make your own BP motors either, way too dangerous to make, ship or fly anywhere! Dangerous explosives they are! Those Pyro guys are just plain crazy! And please don't mess with the Estes scared cow, BP motors is where it is at baby. Keep burning those expensive 29mm BP motors and everything will be fine. Like HAL said to Dave after the Pod Bay Door incident: "I think you should just take a stress pill, sit back, relax and think about this situation for awhile."

After the Cold War they just don't make powder like they used to. Fewer commies to kill so quality suffers. Hard to keep a good mix. And the price point pressures from the big distributors, I really feel for Estes. So like the good ole gold rush days it is "ESTES OR BUST!" Take yer CATOs like a man. Fly more 18mm and 29mm if yer scared of dem 24mm E's. Only use the term STARTER and count down slowly: 5-4-3-2-1-START! Everything is fine, nothing to see here, these are not the droids we are looking for!

IMO we'll be lucky to see Quest A - C motors again. I also seem to remember that FSI has pretty much thrown in the towel on BP. I personally don't think we'll see more than a limited release line of kits from them. Make me wrong, please.

Well, I checked my stash of E9s and E12s against 'the list'. Found one questionable E9, which is now marked 'saucer use only'.

I have flown a lot of E9's in the past and have suffered through the bad batches and CATOs in clustered rockets. Single Use CATOs are a real problem for the hobby, but given the current business environment I don't see any change in the status quo. Lack of suitable igniters and CATO prone BP motors will surely do in the silly BP clusters some folks fly, but oh well, that's life. The only Mom I have seen running from a launch, sticking the kid in the minivan and tearing out of the parking lot was due to an AEROTECH Single Use CATO! DANGER-DANGER-DANGER. If Quality Assurance in raw materials used, production, shipping and stocking practices is not up to snuff, then just get a longer cord so you are farther from the pad! When I think of my silly 3 motor cluster rocket that just suffered a 2 of 3 E9 motor CATO, I just sing the song we used to sing as kids playing Cowboys and Indians: BANG BANG you're dead, brush your teeth and go to bed! BUT THAT WAS THE EARLY 70'S MAN!

BP CATOs are cool! The big bang, the brightly burning delay blowing up through the tube, the little smokey bits flying sideways, the PING of the poopy clay nozzle of the blast deflector, the gentle dissent of the blown out chute, such fun. Can you find the motor block? How cleanly blown out is the inside of the motor's tube? Then the lovely round robin discussion of the term CATO that is sure to follow. "Dude, you can rebuild it, yeah, that will buff right out!" Hey, without that silly motor block you can now fit in one of those CTI 6 grain 24mm reloads! Like NASCAR, everyone in the crowd is secretly waiting for the big crash and burn! Eat your heart out Monster Truck Rally, I'm flying an E9 cluster!

IMO we'll be lucky to see Quest A - C motors again. I also seem to remember that FSI has pretty much thrown in the towel on BP. I personally don't think we'll see more than a limited release line of kits from them. Make me wrong, please.

I suspect we'll see a return of Quest motors, but maybe a 2.0 version......

Back