Estes Decals...Stickers???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdud

Reaction score
I am relatively new to this forum and have been a BAR since this past winter. Anyhow, I need to vent about my new Estes SR-71 kit. What's up with these peel and stick decals? I'm not at all pleased with their aesthetics or durability.

As a kid, the SR-71 was always my favorite rocket to fly, but I wanted to get through a few other rockets before building another blackbird. Today, I finally bought a new blackbird and was hoping that waterslides and NOT peel and stick decals would be included. Of course, I was disappointed - peel and sticks are included; and since they are white, I am not able to scan them in and transfer them to waterslide.

Is there anyone out there who produces aftermarket waterslides for the blackbird?

On another note, I am extremely impressed by Semroc and Fliskits products. These small businesses must have product quality and consumer satisfaction as goals -in addition to making a living doing something they enjoy. Keep up the good work.

Wow. Different strokes for different folks. I loved the peel and stick decals that came with my SR-71. After a couple of coats of Future they look like they are painted on, and they were a heck of a lot easier to put on than the waterslide decals I usually have to deal with.

I will absolutely concur with you on Semroc. I've bought a bunch of stuff from them so far. I'm looking hard at a Fliskits Deuces Wild, so I'm set to become one of their customers as well.

Maybe I haven't given them a fair chance. Do you put on Futures with an airbrush?

No, I think you did give them a fair chance.

My general feeling towards the stickers is negative. I know a lot of model rocket enthusiasts share my sentiments and we are disappointed in the decision Estes made to include stickers on certain rockets.

Clive

Maybe I haven't given them a fair chance. Do you put on Futures with an airbrush?

its all in how you approach the vinyl decals over waterslide decals. I'm not a fan of the vinyl decals either but heres how to make them as painless as possible, unless you want to spend a few extra bucks to buy some after market decals or make your own.

A wetting agent is the key to placement of vinyl "sticker" decals. the sticker's adhesive side and model are sprayed with the wetting agent (2 drops of dishwashing detergent in about a pint of water). then one can place the sticker n the model and move it around a good bit until it's in the proper position. it is then squeegeed down and the excess water removed from the center of the sticker out to the edges to remove most of the bubbles. Let the model stand for about an hour or so, then re-squeegee the sticker again starting from the center of the decal out to the outter edges. If a few bubbles remain stick it at the very outside edge with a pin point and squeegee out the air from the opposite side.
Give the model as least over night to completely dry before applying any other coating like future or Nu-finish. Hope this helps.

If you don't mind paying a little extra, you can get a set of waterslide decals from Tango Papa Decals. I've got a set coming for my SR-71. Can't stand peel n stick decals. :puke::puke:

Like many of the other old timers, I can't stand the vinyl stickers that Estes uses. Using the above suggestions about using water with a drop of detergent, I've had OK results with them, but they just don't look the same and they tend to eventually peel up around the corners. Good water slides, if done right (I use MicroSol softening and setting solutions after they are placed) look like they are painted right on the model and are much more forgiving to put on....in general...if you are careful to have the surface wet.

I have had some trouble with some waterslides I've used recently; they do seem to be a lot thinner than in the old days, even when I make sure to clear coat them a few times first. I've messed up a few of them here and there, including a week or two ago when I was putting a number on the fin of my new Inflight clone of the Estes WASP. The decal folded over itself as it was being applied and I couldn't get it straightened out...but it's barely noticeable (I'll post some pictures in a different thread on this model).

Suggestion to kit makers...make sure that when you are including waterslide decals that you have extras of various images on the sheet. Excelsior does this and it saved the day on a Centuri Stilletto clone I built (it's shown on their website) and I really liked that on the Estes Blue Bird Zero clone I built I was able to put the model name on both sides of the body tube. It's worth a little extra to me to have that kind of thing.

And to young modelers used to stickers...learn to work with waterslides, they aren't that tough (stickers are actually tougher I think) and if you learn how to do it right they look great.

Tango Papa has great waterslide decals and quick service. I've gotten after market decals for a number of kits--all look great, but there are a couple I haven't gotten around to using yet.

I purchased a good quality large sponge. I wet the sponge and then ring out as much of the water as I can. I then put straight future right on the corner of the sponge. I start at the fins, first wiping it onto the edges, then across the fin face, then around the body tube between the fins. I then work my way up the rocket, until I am about 2 inches below the nose cone. I put the rocket on a stand, and finish by wiping from the point down to the part where I stopped coming up the rocket. Of course, on a larger rocket, I will apply more Future to the sponge during the application process.

Once dried, I do a second coat.

I challenge anyone to find a blem in the Future finish on any of my models. All it takes is a gentle touch to make sure there are no bubbles.

I've used the method Micromeister's described and it works quite well.

Four notes to add to that technique:
- Stickers, even more so than decals, work best over smooth surfaces. The smoother and more polished the better.
- Whatever is used to handle the stickers (usually my fingers) must be kept very wet at all times with the soapy water solution.
- Once wetted, the sticker's adhesive might have a milky look to it. This is especially obvious on clear areas applied over a dark-colored paint. Don't panic! It may take a day or more to dry and clear if the stickers are large.
- Burnish down the corners of the stickers before applying a coat of Future or NuFinish.

The self stick decals are aimed more for the newer rocket builders (kids) But on the more detailed kits I prefer waterslide decals. Atleast that is the way we see it and do our decals here at Starlight.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Man

I purchased a good quality large sponge. I wet the sponge and then ring out as much of the water as I can. I then put straight future right on the corner of the sponge. I start at the fins, first wiping it onto the edges, then across the fin face, then around the body tube between the fins. I then work my way up the rocket, until I am about 2 inches below the nose cone. I put the rocket on a stand, and finish by wiping from the point down to the part where I stopped coming up the rocket. Of course, on a larger rocket, I will apply more Future to the sponge during the application process.

Once dried, I do a second coat.

I challenge anyone to find a blem in the Future finish on any of my models. All it takes is a gentle touch to make sure there are no bubbles.
For a minute I thought you were creating a radica

Back