Estes Decal Problem

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e42

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have recently re-returned to this hobby once again. I have always enjoyed flying rockets since starting in the late ‘60s. I guess that is what you get when you grow up in a NASA/JPL family. So naturally I go a buy 15 or so kits from various manufactures and sources. One of those kits was an Estes Bullpup 12D.

In the past I have always been more interested flying rather than building a good looking rocket (I used to lose a lot of them) but this time around I find myself caring about the finished product. With the Bullpup, I have completed the painting work and have achieved the smooth and not too glossy look I wanted. When I sat down to attach the decals (which I rarely did in the past), I have encountered a problem. Following the limited instructions and reading this forum, I cut a decal from the sheet and submerge it in lukewarm water with a couple of drops of liquid dishwashing soap. The decal never curls and the backing does not easily come off. I have to scratch off the paper backing with my finger nail while it is submerged. As a result, the decals do not adhere to the surface. Am I doing something wrong? Is it possible that I received a defective decal sheet? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

--- Ron

If you are using the vinyl (ie., the peel and stick type) decals, you need to remove the decal from the paper before dipping it into the water. This gives you some working time to position the decal before it sets completely. Only the water slide decals are placed in water to remove the paper backing.

I built the Estes Bullpup last year and had it come out looking pretty good by shooting it with Testors Dull Coat for the clear coat. It took the shine out of the decals nicely and makes for a realistic scale appearance. Check the paint compatibility first, of course.

e42:
I think you've confused two very different types of decals.
some of the newer estes kits come with self sticking Adhesive backed vinyl "decals". These are more "Stickers" than decals in the traditional sense.
Waterslide decals are the one's that are soaked in cold to lukewarm water for about 10 seconds. then allowed to rest for about a minute on a paper dowel before sliding them off the backing and onto the painted model.

"Stickers" DO NOT get dipped in water, a wetting agent is sprayed on the model surface and the BACK (adhesive side) of the vinyl after one removes the paper sheet from the vinyl.
It's us usually easier to trim the vinyl sticker to the approximate size you want, carefully lift one corner and peel the backing paper with the vinyl stacker FACE side down on a table or other flat surface exposing the adhesive side. This is than sprayed with the wetting agent to allow the Sticker to be places and gentle moved around on the model until it is pressed into place, and the water squeegee'ed out working from the center of the Sticker out to the edges. this can be done with a folded paper towel,
let the Stickers set for about an hour, then re-squeege them again to ensure they are in full contact with the painted surface.

Water slide decals have a water based adhesive that allow the decal to be slid around on the model with JUST water, NO dishwasing detergent is required. These Decals are literally clear paint with printed or silkscreened graphics over the water based adhesive. These are soaked, let rest, then slid onto the painted body, that should be prewet with WATER ONLY. to allow them to be repositioned until lightly patted dry with a DRY paper towel.

This is the first time I've run into this error, You'll have to look carefully at the instructions that came with your kit Normally they will SAY "Water slide decals" or "Vinyl Sticker Decals".

Sorry for the confusion, As I think about it, I'm sure others have had the same question;)
Hope this helps a little.

Thanks for the information. I believe that the decals that came with the kit are water slide decals only because of the instructions.

Bullpup Instructions

Of course these decals do seem rather thick when comparing them to some decals I recently received from Excelsior Rocketry. Is there a way to be sure what type of decals that came with my Bullpup :confused: ? Thanks again.

--- Ron

If it's a newer kit they are the "stickers" NOT the waterslide.

The older Bullpup kits had waterslides but the newer ones do not!

I think Estes just neglected to change the instruction.

If they are ruined, no problem.

Just call Estes customer service 1-800-525-7561 X 216

Christine will take care of you.

what should I use as the wetting agent? I can't get the bubbles out and I only get 1 chance to place them!!! I would love more advise on this matter!!! I thought they were just plain old stickers!!!

They are stickers. So much for reading directions. I only ruined 2 so no big lost. There should be no issues with apply clear over the top of them, right? Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by thaddeus
what should I use as the wetting agent? I can't get the bubbles out and I only get 1 chance to place them!!! I would love more advise on this matter!!! I thought they were just plain old stickers!!!

They are "plain old stickers". You'll find that they are much easier to work with if, after you peel them off of the backing paper, you dip them in a bowl of lukewarm water with a drop or two of dish detergent in it. Wetting the area on the rocket is OK too. Position them then squeegee out the water and let dry.

The water is the "wetting agent'.

Originally posted by thaddeus

One picture is worth 1000 words, Here are a couple applicatiors that work well also:D

Incidentally guy's: Wetting agents work on ANY adhesive Backed vinyl material. Contat paper, Sheet vinyls, Stickers, vinyl lables, adhesive backed Monokote, etc.

as mentioned above, it's best to lay the "sticker" face down on a table, remove the backing sheet, spary the wetting agent on both the sticker and the model or area of the model it's to be appled to. handle the sticker as little as you can, I use tweezers on a corner if at all possible. position the sticker, make your minor adjustments then apply pressure in the center and work out to the edges. Leave it alone for about an hour, then re-squeegee all the stickers from the center out. this removes that last little bit of water and ensures good adhesion between the paint and the sticker.

If you get a bubble use a straight pin or needle to poke a small hole in one corner of the bubble, the squeegee out the air from the opposite side toward the pin prick.
Hope this helps.

Back