Estes DARC -1 Build \started

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hcmbanjo

Reaction score
I've started a build of the new Estes DARC-1 on my build blog at:
modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com

This is one of the more interesting kit builds, have new knife blades (and maybe a few Band-aids) on hand
before cutting into the blow molded shroud!

Attachments

• E Darc 1.jpg
    E Darc 1.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 11
I appreciate the creativity of this kit and the callback to the old X24 but I just can't wrap my head around the design. The molded fuselage plus the spindly fin unit in back/bottom makes no sense to me. And I generally don't care about "justifying" sci-fi design features; I just go for what looks cool. This particular design crosses some sort of threshold for me.

Ah well, can't like 'em all. I'm certainly happy Estes is still cranking out interesting stuff (even if not to my personal taste).

I like how they make the lug internal and conformal to the skin on the outside. That is how I made my X-24 Bugs!
Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 7.49.34 AM.png

So, how do you pronounce it? DARK-One, or DarSee? I kind of like the soft-C and the "1" as the letter "I" maybe.

Dark-1 sounds kind of stealthy and sinister, but "Darcy" is a nice friendly rocket that will blast you out of space! I guess this is a scientific research mission not planetary defense, so I like Darcy.

"Deep Atmosphere Research Craft"

Last edited:
I like how they make the lug internal and conformal to the skin on the outside. That is how I made my X-24 Bugs!

So, how do you pronounce it? DARK-One, or DarSee? I kind of like the soft-C and the "1" as the letter "I" maybe.

Dark-1 sounds kind of stealthy and sinister, but "Darcy" is a nice friendly rocket that will blast you out of space! I guess this is a scientific research mission not planetary defense, so I like Darcy.

"Deep Atmosphere Research Craft"
Darcy, like Percy (Perseverance) and Genie (Ingenuity).

Back