Estes and friends! (NASA, spacex, and blue origin)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolRockets

Reaction score
Hi all, I’ve noticed that Estes has only recently stepped into the realm of private space companies. I’m wondering if they will ever step into the realm a bit further (ESA, Ariane space, astra, virgin orbit, etc.) if anyone has guesses, please comment

20 years ago, Estes sold kits of all the X Prize contenders... of which, Rutan and Space Ship 1 won. Estes made a BT60? SS1 model, and a huge E powered styrofoam model. That one was fragile.

The designs of the other X Prize entrants ranged from entirely conventional (Canadian Arrow, a long V2) to radical.

Would be difficult to clone many of them, special parts, odd size body tubes, weird nose cones.

I bet you can find them in the 2004ish era catalogs.

20 years ago, Estes sold kits of all the X Prize contenders... of which, Rutan and Space Ship 1 won. Estes made a BT60? SS1 model, and a huge E powered styrofoam model. That one was fragile.

The designs of the other X Prize entrants ranged from entirely conventional (Canadian Arrow, a long V2) to radical.

Would be difficult to clone many of them, special parts, odd size body tubes, weird nose cones.

I bet you can find them in the 2004ish era catalogs.
I have one of the X prize kits, it’s the rubicon. I’m suprized it’s not a skill level 4

Like @Antares JS already brought up, I think the primary challenges relate to legal/greed issues.
That and demand.

Not sure how many people would want a model of Astra's Rocket 3 since it had a high failure rate that led to the company abandoning it for an upgraded design. Rocket 4 may or may not ever happen with the cash flow problems they are currently having. They just had to do a reverse stock split to keep their stock listed as it had been below $1.00 for a while.

In the case of SpaceShipTwo, it's an airplane-like blended body design that would create big manufacturing headaches for something that would likely be rather niche since it would either have to be an annoying-to-make RTF or close to it, or a high-difficulty builder's kit. Either one would limit sales to a small fraction of rocketeers.

Maybe a Rocketlab Electron would work, but it's a rocket known for being small and launching small payloads. It doesn't exactly have the same kind of recognition and wow factor as the Saturn V.

Back