Eradicator Build Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starfire73

OpenRocket Wannabe
Reaction score
I have a different approach I want to take in my Eradicator build. Reading Edward Chess' review on Rocket Reviews and comments from @shawn_rocket and @bobbyg23, I wanted to get an experienced Eradicator builder's take on this.

• I was thinking of gluing the 8 vanes in place (step 14) and then painting the entire lower half of the rocket white BEFORE gluing it in to the upper body tube (which I'll also paint white prior to attaching). That way I can fit the upper ring into place after the rocket is painted white, BUT without having to split the forward gray ring. All I have to do then is finish gluing the lower assembly into the upper body tube. Worst case is I may have to give a quick spray of white into the lower assembly/upper body joint (near the vanes) to catch any of the inner part of the upper body tube which got missed. Heck even a touch up with a brush is all that might be needed. Easily done with a spray though since it will be nowhere near the gray rings AND the spray will be in the opposite direction. Your thoughts? Anything cautions or things I'm not considering?

Also, if you're an interested Eradicator fan FWIW.

• I plan on gluing the rear centering ring in after I've filleted the forward centering ring and the fins. I always do it that way.

• I am toying with the idea of making a payload compartment/access panel in the side of the upper body tube, in between the two upper body tube centering rings. That way I can put my JL Altimeter 2 in there; it won't be exposed to motor ejection heat and gases and I'll only have to vent a very small portion since that should be a small isolated chamber between those two rings. I don't want to create a payload bay just for a small altimeter.

Last edited:
Not an option I thought of during building, but seems like it'd work just fine, as long as the upper CRs are kept free of paint. Probably easier to paint too. I like the idea of a small hatch for a recording altimeter.

IIRC, I built mine similar to Ed's. Split & installed forward split ring after all other finishing. It worked well, and it's flown quite a few times with no issues. Usually on G77R, H165R, or H210R. I installed a small e-bay in the nose cone for apogee deployment, with an RRC2. First few flights, I used a cable cutter to open the main, but now just use a JL chute release. I need to get that model out flying again.

The Eradicator is the best looking kit I have ever seen.
I had a perfectly built and finished Eradicator that I built in early 2021. It ended up in a tree this past weekend.
I split the upper ring tail and it worked out fine.
I used an Aero Pack retainer. Just rail buttons, no launch lugs.
I used an extra 29mm to 3.0" CR on top of the vane CR for extra support.
Everything else was stock.

I ordered a replacement today.
Any suggestions and comments welcome.

Sorry to hear about your Eradicator, I agree it's an awesome looking kit, and flies real nice to. I just put mine up on a G138T recently. I want to try an H135W next time - that'll probably be the biggest motor I'll put in it.

A couple flight videos for ya!
First Flight on a F39T
On a G138T

I did end up splitting the front ring to get it on. The ring tail wouldn't go over the centering ring/vane assembly, so I ended up just splitting it like normal.

I'm an Aeropak guy to; however, Rocketry Works has 29mm 3D printed retainers that work GREAT, look great, and are waaaaaay cheaper. So I do all my 38mm and 54 mm motor retention with Aeropack, and anything 29mm and less I get from Rocketry Works.

I also cut an access hatch for my Jolly Logic Altimeter 2, and put in some vent holes. This hatch is centered between the two centering rings so it's isolated and protected from motor ejection gases and heat.

Since you're an Eradicator fan, you should check out my blog or my OpenRocket files thread on this forum sometime. The Eradicator is one of my favorite renders.

https://starfireor.blogspot.com/

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/starfires-openrocket-files.178284/post-2399935

Good luck with your new one!

Attachments

• 20230706_012658420_iOS.jpg
    20230706_012658420_iOS.jpg
    650.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230706_012716807_iOS.jpg
    20230706_012716807_iOS.jpg
    512.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your Eradicator, I agree it's an awesome looking kit, and flies real nice to. I just put mine up on a G138T recently. I want to try an H135W next time - that'll probably be the biggest motor I'll put in it.

A couple flight videos for ya!
First Flight on a F39T
On a G138T

I did end up splitting the front ring to get it on. The ring tail wouldn't go over the centering ring/vane assembly, so I ended up just splitting it like normal.

I'm an Aeropak guy to; however, Rocketry Works has 29mm 3D printed retainers that work GREAT, look great, and are waaaaaay cheaper. So I do all my 38mm and 54 mm motor retention with Aeropack, and anything 29mm and less I get from Rocketry Works.

I also cut an access hatch for my Jolly Logic Altimeter 2, and put in some vent holes. This hatch is centered between the two centering rings so it's isolated and protected from motor ejection gases and heat.

Since you're an Eradicator fan, you should check out my blog or my OpenRocket files thread on this forum sometime. The Eradicator is one of my favorite renders.

https://starfireor.blogspot.com/

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/starfires-openrocket-files.178284/post-2399935

Good luck with your new one!
I will check out your blog. You did a beautiful job on that access hatch.
Looking back, I wish I took some notes and photos, or at least marked up the instructions when I built my Eradicator in 2021.

Back