Electronic Scale Purchase

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11bravo

Reaction score
Anyone interested in making a group purchase on some scales?
Wanting something to measure epoxy so would like a resolution of 0.01g.
Been looking at American Weigh.
They have what they call Blade Scales with varying max weights.
250g $29.95
350g $34.95
500g $39.95
Then checked on ebay and found that there is a seller with lots of these (the 250g) with from 3 to 100 in a lot.
For example, on a lot of 3, the price is $37.95 +S&H ($13.00-$14.50); works out to about $17.50 each.
There is also a lot of 5 which would bring the per unit price to $15.55.
20 of them makes the price $12.48.
I'd be willing to make the purchase and let you guys PayPal me for yours and the shipping from me to you.
Any takers?
I'd have to limit it to the correct number of scales to match a lot.

Greg

2g accuracy doesn't work for epoxy.:( It is fine for cooking, though.

Alex-
I'd prefer the larger one too, but no deals on those.
I had originally thought about getting this.
Then thought that the only time one would really need the 0.1g is for epoxy or the like so why not get an inexpensive one for fine detail and something like this to weigh whole projects and get final weights.
If you do it that way, you don't really need the 500g model.
250g of mixed epoxy is a pretty good amount.
And I'm up around 50 bucks instead of 130 and can weigh up to 15.4 pounds and still handle the small wpoxy mixxing jobs.

Matt-
I don't know where you got the 2g.
Did I miss something?

Greg

I have it for cooking. It is only accurate to 2 grams (instead of .01 or .1). I tried to use it to compare the amount of epoxy in 2 batches and one was somewhere between 2 and 4 grams, the other was somewhere between 4 and 6 grams. But it is good for final weights. I think it goes up to 5lbs.

Anybody?

Anybody?

Bueller?

Bueller?

Planning to order Wednesday unless someone wants in then could be later if necessary.

Greg

11Bravo,

I have a 500g x 0.1g pocket scale almost identical to this one currently selling on ebay for $0.01 + $12.95 S&H + $2.00 Insurance.

I've had mine for about a year now and I really like it. It is a very handy size that I can carry in my pocket or my range box, with a cover to protect the sensitive parts. With a range a little over one pound it will handle everything up to the FAA model rocket weight limit. The resolution (0.01 oz) is fine enough to see the difference in a balsa fin before and after being sanded.

Hee Hee.

Thanks Bob.
You're taking care of me again.
I owe you a banana if we ever meet in person.

Greg

p.s. The other offer is still open.

I got something in the mail the other day from Stamps.com. I don't know all the details, but they are offering a FREE digital scale. Like I said, I don't know the details, but the price is pretty good. :D

Fred-
Want something with more resolution; 0.1g.
Randy-
Have to sign up for 4 weeks free, then for $15.99 (IIRC) a month, THEN get the free scale; I don't mail that much.

Bob-
SNIPED!
Thing went for 10¢ while I was in the shower.

Greg

Originally posted by 11Bravo
SNIPED!
Thing went for 10¢ while I was in the shower.
Aargh! :kill:

Well, that means your sniper paid 9 cents more than they had to for their scale. I saw dozens of them that expired with no bids for a penny. There's no reason for sniping on a product that is so readily available.

That seller has an autoposter that inserts a new listing for that same model scale every 4 hours. Go ahead and bid on another one.

BTW, my office-mate bid on the same model scale today and got sniped by a nickel.

When you are tracking this sort of item on ebay, just go ahead and put in a bid for a buck.
It's not like spending $15 is a whole lot different than spending $14. Some of you guys seem to spend that much just for paint for one rocket?
And your time spent tracking and worrying about the auction costs you something too, not to mention the additional time to now have to find another auction.
Sometimes it is worth it (and eminently satisfying) to save two cents, sometimes it is worth it to just get it over with.

a few weeks ago I was in my local Post Office and they had a digital scale hanging on the wall for sale. Paid just about $35 for it. Weight up to 10lbs in 1/10oz increments. The top is hinged so it opens up to 90 degress making a kind of V, very handy for placing body tubes on it and they won't roll off.

I wasn't acutally worried about it.
More like "NO WAY! What a putz!"
Maybe a good thing anyway, in the mean time I've just about talked myself around 180° corner and thinking on going with the one better quality scale I posted about in my second post, from American Weigh.
It'll do the 0.1g and up to 3000g or over 6.5# which will weigh at least component subassemblies on most rockets that I'll be doing for a while.
And less stuff to cram into my la-bore-a-tory; a somewhat panaromic view of which is in the attached.
The two brown tubes in the middle are the same tube, not lined up at all.

Aaaahhhhh!!!!
Descisions.
Descisions.

Greg

Greg,
It looks like you are talking about the My-Weigh 3001P. If so, be aware that the resolution is not 0.1g, it is 1g and 0.1 oz. I recommend getting a scale with finer resolution.

Actually I think he was talking about the vb-302. It was a couple of lines earlier in the same post. It has a resolution of .1g. I say if you can budget for it then do it. You'd have to build some pretty big rockets before you end up with components that weigh too much. And you can never go wrong buying a good tool.

Oh, I hadn't seen that one. Yes, it looks very nice. It costs a lot more than I would want to spend, but like you said, you can never go wrong buying a good tool.

Oh yeah, good tools.
(With a bit of a Toolman grunt)

Think that's what I'll do.
Or maybe not.

Greg

BTW-
Bob, you avitar is killing me.
Wha......
Looks a little Larry Kingish.

Originally posted by 11Bravo
BTW-
Bob, you avitar is killing me.
Wha......
Looks a little Larry Kingish.
I was thinking more like Alan Greenspan, but now that you mention it, a bit like Larry King, too.
Check this out...
631.jpg

The larger version is great.
With my hours all screwed up lately, I'm gonna be laughing all night.
Thanks.

Greg

You dont need something super accurate for just epoxy.

0.01g accuracy is really only good for EX - where 0.01g is really still overkill unless you are doing insanely small batches of things.

0.1g will do you well, and you'll be able to get into EX with it too if you so choose to. Just make sure to get a decent total capacity one, it's useful to have a high range.

Originally posted by MattEx
....snip.... it's useful to have a high range.

That's the problem, the finer the resolution, the lower the max wieght/mass.
Where are the 500# (227kg =/-) at 0.001g?! :D
Now that'd be a scale worth having; if they only cost like $100.

Greg

Back