Effects of government shutdown on rocket launches (TFR's)?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Totally unexpected development: A 45-day continuing resolution to temporarily fund the government at current levels has passed out of the House. It’s a relatively “clean” continuing resolution, so it got support from all but 1 Democrat. 90 Republicans voted against. McCarthy and House GOP leadership decided to pass the bill with Democratic support, which was very unexpected. Now we will see what the Senate does. I think they’ll pass it, and the shutdown will be averted for 45 days while they fight over the real appropriations bills.

I think they’ll pass it, and the shutdown will be averted for 45 days while they fight over the real appropriations bills.

I really hope this 45 day stretch is enough time for the FAA to release our ambulance before the congress people decide to play games for Thanksgiving.

I'm glad that a compromise has been reached. No worrying about BLM launches through most of the Fall launching season, not to mention the millions of people that would have been adversely affected by a shutdown.

It was good Congress was able to briefly get its act together enough to postpone the shutdown and expiration of the FAA for a month and a half. But WOW! Look at the fallout today! Holy smokes! That’s what you get for keeping the government running, I guess.

I wonder what’s going to happen between now and mid November. Will we be back to the same crisis we were in last week? Or will we move on to a fresh hell? My guess is the same FAA and BLM issues for rocketeers will be coming up again in November.

Last edited:
It was good Congress was able to briefly get its act together enough to postpone the shutdown and expiration of the FAA for a month and a half. But WOW! Look at the fallout today! Holy smokes! That’s what you get for keeping the government running, I guess.

I wonder what’s going to happen between now and mid November. Will we be back to the same crisis we were in last week? Or will we move on to a fresh hell? My guess is the same FAA and BLM issues for rocketeers will be coming up again in November.
At this point, we need a protester to just sit outside the capitol playing a calliope in a clown suit and makeup.

Be careful guys, this thread could turn more political. No reason to go there.
Congress is going on recess for a week, then will try to choose another speaker. There will likely be no legislative action until a new one is elected. Until a new speaker is elected, the House cannot vote on laws.

Congress is going on recess for a week, then will try to choose another speaker. There will likely be no legislative action until a new one is elected. Until a new speaker is elected, the House cannot vote on laws.
The Union is marked safe for another week.

Now they have less than 45 days to fix this before our next chance to shut down.

Now they have less than 45 days to fix this before our next chance to shut down.
To be fair, we never fully "opened" with this whatever-it-is that they passed to make it appear that we're funded.

It was mostly smoke and mirrors, .mil pay and jet fuel.....but N.O.T.H.I.N.G. else....not even fresh fruit at the galley.

To be fair, we never fully "opened" with this whatever-it-is that they passed to make it appear that we're funded.

It was mostly smoke and mirrors, .mil pay and jet fuel.....but N.O.T.H.I.N.G. else....not even fresh fruit at the galley.
Not sure I agree with the smoke and mirror. If it were, we could just print more money and not worry about the effects. If you that you are gonna have massive inflation.

Not sure I agree with the smoke and mirror. If it were, we could just print more money and not worry about the effects. If you that you are gonna have massive inflation.
News flash, we have massive inflation, with many leading left and right aligned economic analysts saying that if we don't reign in spending, a great depression type crash is all but assured sometime next year.

Regardless, in my current capacity I directly support Naval aviation, and we are currently existing on barely over a sequestration budget, with similar operational and administrative constraints.

News flash, we have massive inflation, with many leading left and right aligned economic analysts saying that if we don't reign in spending, a great depression type crash is all but assured sometime next year.

Exactly what I am saying. The budget and spending is not smoke and mirrors. We have to reign in spending.

I think I have heard we need to reign in Spending since I was little and heard folks talk on Meet The Press.
My Uncle Bud, a crippled but free-spirited survivor of the WWII air war over Europe, routinely watched Meet the Press - but he called it "Press the Meat".

Spending balanced by plentiful income is one thing. Spending financed by borrowing is quite another. Supposedly, we as a nation have borrowed so much that, finally, rising interest rates are becoming a problem across several important segments of the economy (such as the long term bond market) threatening both consumers and institutions. If rising prices plus debt cause demand destruction, then we have recession and a whole new menu of problems.

IMHO, some of this is potentially quite serious and merits thorough understanding and discussion. Since we are obliged not to discuss politics, we might file these discussions under the labels of economics and/or civics.

Last edited:
I think we are potentially going to have a period of political chaos the likes of which we have rarely, if ever, seen. It’s probably going to take the whole 45 days just to get a Speaker elected, and until then, no legislation can move in the House, including the spending bills, or even another emergency continuing resolution like the one passed last Saturday that set off this whole Speaker fiasco. The likelihood of another shutdown is high, in my opinion.

Or maybe that’s just hysteria, and a new Speaker will be elected next Wednesday, and the House will efficiently pass a dozen spending bills that the Senate can also pass, and the President can sign, and we’ll all be laughing about the silly drama at Thanksgiving.

Exactly what I am saying. The budget and spending is not smoke and mirrors. We have to reign in spending.

I think I have heard we need to reign in Spending since I was little and heard folks talk on Meet The Press.

That talk started after the Treaty of Paris.

It probably started in the First Congress...

I’ve been hearing it for 43 years, starting with the 1980 election, which was about the first time I remember having any political awareness. Reagan hammered Carter about the deficit and debt and how it was going to destroy the country, and then when he was elected, he ran up the biggest deficits and highest debt we’d ever seen during peacetime. And that pattern has held true ever since—the ones who complain most about deficits and debt are the ones who end up running up the highest deficits and debt.

It is “common sense” that you can’t keep piling up more debt continuously without some kind of problem. But there seems to be a lot more complexity to economics than most people understand, and some of it defies common sense, because the predictions of doom never come true. In those 43 years, the economy has had ups and downs—growth, recession, high interest rates, low interest rates, high unemployment, low unemployment, etc. None of the problems ever seem to trace back to long-term debt or budget deficits.

Most of our economic trouble spots are attributed to other kinds of shocks or pressures. Often it’s investment bubbles. Sometimes it’s something else like a global pandemic. It’s never been long-term debt or deficits.

So I tend to think the dire predictions that if we don’t reign in spending RIGHT NOW, then we will have hyperinflation and a global depression BY NEXT YEAR a bit overblown. We’ve heard it a million times over and over for decades, and it never comes true, and it’s hard to believe we are finally teetering right on the edge. In fact, it seems to me like all the economic trends right now are pretty positive—inflation has come down, wage growth is exceeding inflation, unemployment is low, the economy keeps creating astounding numbers of jobs (new jobs report today). It looks to me like we are headed for a so-called “soft landing” and are going to avoid a recession. People are still hurting from the pandemic-related inflation, and that’s a problem, but I think wages are going to catch up, and it’s going to be ok.

Anyway, in terms of the risk to our economy for the next year or so, I don’t think whatever budget Congress finally produces is going to have a huge affect. The greater risk to the economy is political dysfunction. A shutdown will be more damaging than a few percentage points shift in the budget or a increase or decrease in next year’s deficit. Fighting over the budget is a greater risk than the budget itself.

What's missing from Congress now is niceness and respect. Somewhere along the line in the past few decades, it's become de rigeur to view the other party as "The Enemy" and to view any view that they have as wrong and evil, and that no compromise with them should be accepted or even attempted. Although he had a lot of views that I don't agree with, I have great respect for Ronald Reagan; he was able to work with people that didn't agree with him and that he didn't agree with. We could use more in DC like him.

And on the actual topic at hand, I hope they get together and work out the budget so we don't have any BLM issues with launches in the foreseeable future. I got a lot of AP waiting to be burned...

I think we are potentially going to have a period of political chaos the likes of which we have rarely, if ever, seen. It’s probably going to take the whole 45 days just to get a Speaker elected, and until then, no legislation can move in the House, including the spending bills, or even another emergency continuing resolution like the one passed last Saturday that set off this whole Speaker fiasco. The likelihood of another shutdown is high, in my opinion.

Or maybe that’s just hysteria, and a new Speaker will be elected next Wednesday, and the House will efficiently pass a dozen spending bills that the Senate can also pass, and the President can sign, and we’ll all be laughing about the silly drama at Thanksgiving.
We laughed the last time the government shut down.

I seem to have a different view about the government than most folks. Government employees are civil servants and they work for me. The Mojave BLM rangers know just how little I care about them and their "policies". I've won lawsuits against them. I have been dealing with their BS for decades about using MY property and I will never comply with their arbitrary rules and policies. I've caught them off roading in sensitive areas and then trying to blame others. It's why they earned the moniker...Bureau of Liers and Maniacs. Same goes for the USFS.

Back