eBay Laugh of the Day

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180448385854&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

This guy is seriously deluded. I emailed him about how over priced this is and he said he got a new "price list" that says the HoJo is worth $230!! I replyed, asking him if this was in Hong Kong dollars.

I await his responce with baited breath and no, I didn't eat any worms:rolleyes::hohoho:

Well the seller received no bids, though I am sure there are those who are trying to work out a deal off ebay with the seller.

If the seller had started the auction at $10, he would have sold the lot for around $200 - $250.

The economy is bad, people are upside down in their mortages, and the kits frankly are common - uncommon (the Arcas and HoJo are really the best in the lot).

So let this be a lesson to us all, just because one or two times on ebay a kit closes for $270 means absolutely NOTHING as to what the actual value of a kit is; it is worth what a given person is willing to pay for it at any given moment.

Like I said in a posting several days ago in this thread, if I use the current pricing spreadsheet, my collection would be worth 100's of thousands of $$$, but it isn't because the high end really doesn't reflect actual value but reflects actual greed/deceit/ignorance pricing. And the B.C. style of bidding up rockets with absolutely no intention of paying but as a way of fooling others into paying slightly less off of ebay for same rocket doesn't work like it used to. B.C., you know what I am talking about don't you. :dark: I won't ever forget my friend.

E.g., back in the 90's, I bid and won an Estes 1968 catalog for around $30 on ebay. The seller REFUSED to sell it to me because he had paid $100 a few years earlier and wasn't going to take the loss.

People, only collect what you enjoy and stay away from 'fliping' the item. I have a co-worker who has 4 houses; WOW you say ... she is upside down on 3 of the 4 mortages ... not good.

You see the rockets that I have I will take to the grave; maybe even literally. I am NOT interested in getting rich off of model rocket auctions as so many people are. My rockets represent a part of my core that isn't for sale.

I remember buying a first year Centuri 1/45 Little Joe II from Romie Lucas back in 1995. I paid $500.00 for it. Why? Because I wanted one, and posted on r.m.r. that I was willing to pay that much. I could afford it back then, I couldn't now. Back then I was unmarried and making over $100/hr as an IT contractor; times have changed... paying $500 was half a days pay so I didn't care. The kit will stay with me for good. I over paid, yes I did, but then I could have taken that same $500, spent it on cocaine or booze and where would the money be now? Well after the high/intoxication a visit to the bathroom and there goes the remnants of the $500 down the sewer pipes.

Buy to make yourself happy, and don't do it in an attempt to flip it for profits as you might get stuck with it.

Jonathan

Back