Duece goes wild and Gyroc attacks!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hauptmann

Reaction score
Well, an eventful morning of launching today. Winds were light and the skies were clear, so it was time to launch my two newest creations for the first time.

First, the Duece's Wild. First flight was on B6-4's, the onlookers were amazed as it leaped off the pad on an arrow straight boost followed by those oh-so distinctive smoke trails ("Dad, look at the smoke, look at the smoke!"). Second flight on a pair of C6-5's was equally impressive, but even higher.

I was going to retire it for the day, but the my son's friend and his dad wouldn't hear of it! Final launch on another pair of C6-5's was marred by what appeared like unequal thrust. Both motors lit, but as soon as it reached the top of the rod it veered left and began a slow arc. My heart stopped breifly as ejection was well past apogee, but it was recovered with no damage. Whew!! :)

Next, my Gyroc clone. Sent it up on an A8-3, great boost with a bit of spiraling. Then came the crazy part: It spat the motor casing out, which came tumbling down and actually HIT THE LAUNCH PAD with laser-guided precision! :p That attracted more attention than the spiraling recovery, which worked great.

My son sent it up next off his pad. This time, the casing spits out and tumbles down, landing only about 2 feet away from my son! Sheesh! I must have got a pack of those "Smart Bomb" A8-3's! :D Maybe Estes should sell their technology to the military! :p

When all was said and done, we left the field with my son's friend totally jazzed, saying "Dad, can we get one of those Duece-thing rockets??"

Sounds like a good launch! lol laser guided motor cases :D
-Karl

I love flying my Gyroc. I built a clone from Thrustline, the best part of a year ago. Its best on Quest motors, I find, as they're extra smoke adds more excitement to the 'squiral-ey' asscent.

On a larger field, it rocks on a B! :cool:

LOL Your "laser precision" comment reminded me of today's CMASS launch in Tewksbury Mass...

One of the dads had this paper rocket he had built and he never got the friction fit right and it kept kicking the motor out. Someone commented that someone was gonna get nailed by the falling casing when, son of a gun, he got nailed by the casing from his own rocket! LOL

Sounds like you had a heck of a good time!

Originally posted by jflis
Someone commented that someone was gonna get nailed by the falling casing when, son of a gun, he got nailed by the casing from his own rocket!

LOL!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

Back