Dragon Rocketry Fat Boy XL Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cone is still very tight and I’ve never had issues even will shoulders as short as 1 inch on a 4 inch tube.

Time will tell.
I hope you don't have a cone release early. I just saw a cone come out of a rocket like yours and a fins were tore off. Check out the Bong launch on Saturday on this site and there is a video of its launch.

I hope you don't have a cone release early. I just saw a cone come out of a rocket like yours and a fins were tore off. Check out the Bong launch on Saturday on this site and there is a video of its launch.

I saw that video earlier. The differences with this rocket the nosecone is not Loose and there’s still enough shoulder there that I cannot forcibly rock the nose cone back-and-forth.

Nice paint job. But good luck with the now short nose cone shoulder. It can now slid or twist out of the tube durning motor burn.
Put two pieces of 1/2" or 3/4" masking tape across the nose cone joint to act as "shear pins" I've done this with one of my rockets and it works great without the need to drill holes in carboard for #2/56 shear pins.

Nice weather here today so the fin was dry and I had a few minutes to cut vinyl for the name. Final completed weight with fire blanket and parachute installed is 26.4oz.

This one is done with the exception of some clear coat that I will apply in a couple of weeks and a flight report. I think I more than hit my goal of being able to fly this one on the F67.

Looks like I'll be able to launch on the F44's as well.

This has been a really great kit to build. Everything fit perfectly and the kit is really robust for those that want to fly this thing with H motors and up. I feel like it will take anything you want to throw at it. Will defiantly be watching Dragon's site for more new models. I have about three or four other rockets from him that I'm thinking might need to get moved up the build list.

80.jpg82.jpg83.jpg84.jpg

:clapping:
thumbsup GIF by 1LIVE

Nice weather here today so the fin was dry and I had a few minutes to cut vinyl for the name. Final completed weight with fire blanket and parachute installed is 26.4oz.

This one is done with the exception of some clear coat that I will apply in a couple of weeks and a flight report. I think I more than hit my goal of being able to fly this one on the F67.

Looks like I'll be able to launch on the F44's as well.

This has been a really great kit to build. Everything fit perfectly and the kit is really robust for those that want to fly this thing with H motors and up. I feel like it will take anything you want to throw at it. Will defiantly be watching Dragon's site for more new models. I have about three or four other rockets from him that I'm thinking might need to get moved up the build list.

View attachment 574591View attachment 574592View attachment 574593

Looks fantastic. I just got the first coats of paint on my nose come today and my decals from sticker shock also shipped today. Hoping to launch it in 2 weeks on a G138T.

Your build is fantastic!

It also inspired me to try building a lighter version for F flights (nose will have adjustable weights so it can b e swapped over to a heavier stock build for Gs).

I've also recently been pondering ways to make one X-15 kit lighter (Performance Rocketry with plywood wings) and another stronger (Apogee w/balsa wings), so this is very timely!

Yesterday I ordered 1/16" plywood and 3/32" balsa with the plan to sandwich the plywood with the balsa (totals 1/4" matching the stock fin thickness).

Last edited:
Today I sandwiched and cut the fins. Here's pics and notes...

The balsa sheets were a tiny bit shy on width, but a wider size was much more expensive, so I sacrificed a small corner (upper left corner of pic).
20230416_095337.jpg

Same thickness! (Stock fin on left.)
20230416_095419.jpg

Side by side comparison.
20230416_110010.jpg

Weight comparo (grams for precision)...

Stock:
20230416_110157.jpg

Lightened (cut by more than half!):
20230416_110206.jpg

I then CA'd the balsa to harden it and that added 2 grams:
20230416_111257.jpg

Same in ounces:
20230416_112043.jpg

I plan to cut a new rear CR like you did, but using the same 1/16" plywood.

Last edited:
Flight report.

Had a chance to fly the Fat Boy XL this weekend at a club launch. I can thankfully put to rest any concerns about stability. Winds were a bit much at the time of launch with gusts around 10mph.

Since it was a little windy I decided to give it a little more thrust. My initial thought was to use an F44 for the first flight as it has less weight and less altitude but due to wind I stepped up to an F67-6. Rocket left the pad HARD. Flight weather cocked just ever so slightly into the wind then it was a dead straight flight. Altimeter showed 916ft (OR estimated 874ft). Chute popped right at apogee and it recovered about 400ft from the pad on a 28" LOC chute.

85.jpg

Nice Rocket and Nice Flight.

Just as a comment on light weight, a little amount of wood glue or gorilla glue on TTW fins on the "inside" and even using Silicon sealer for outside fillets goes a long way to save weight. I slot the tubes all the way down, build the fin can lightweight then drop the body tube over the fin can. Same as on my L3 cert flight.

I flew an Estes 2.5" Partizon On an I205, and had to do it twice as the first flight on Friday was awesome; but folks on Saturday did not believe me so Balsa Bill handed me another I205 and I did it again.

As I had to ship my rockets to FedEx Las Vegas hold for pickup the rocket's two body tube sections where only Friction Fitted fitted with masking tape, no glue at all.

I still have it and have flown it locally at the Jackson MI launches.

Back