Dr. Zooch Vostok build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that I think about it, I still have 4 untouched Zooch kits stacked in the basement someplace... Now I'm going to have to break one out.

LOL...Kruland, you do make a point....its a fun build and I like how they look when they are done... but the witches hats take time and patience!

Oh, lookie there. I'm down to two Zooch kits in my stash. Saturn IB, and Ares I-X. The Ares looks easy enough, I think I'll start it right now.

Step 1: Iron the directions...

what 4 do you have?

Oh, lookie there. I'm down to two Zooch kits in my stash. Saturn IB, and Ares I-X. The Ares looks easy enough, I think I'll start it right now.

Step 1: Iron the directions...

First thing I do when I get a Zooch kit-- pull the instructions and wrap sheets out of the kit and put them flat on the table under something heavy for a week... then I store them in a file folder "inter-office memo" packet I have with all the zooch kit instructions and wrap sheets in...

Makes it MUCH easier when it comes time to build the kit. Wes said he was going to start printing off the wraps to align with the natural "grain" of the paper/cardstock (Yes, paper DOES have grain-- ask on the paper modeler's forum if you don't believe me! There are SOME cardstocks that DON'T have grain, or rather the way the paper is laid up when it's manufactured, the grain runs in opposite directions 90 degrees apart, just like plywood). This would allow the wraps to curl more naturally and with less probability of "crimping" or "kinking" when rolled, making a smoother part that's easier to make. Also, he said he was going to start rolling the wraps up to put into the kit paying attention to how the parts on the cardstock sheets will be rolled when building the parts cut from the sheet, to prevent pulling the wrap sheets out of the kit only to find they've been stored forever rolled up NINETY DEGREES to the direction that you'll have to roll the parts when making the part for the rocket after cutting it from the sheet... Thing is, about a bazillion kits have gone out in the past years that were done the "old" way... so you probably well have one of these...

One other thing I've found that helps immensely-- as soon as you get the sheets out of the kit, roll them BACKWARDS in the same plane... IOW, when you pull them out, they're usually rolled "printed side in"... unroll them and then roll them back up the same way but flipped over so it's PRINTED SIDE OUT, which will make the paper "relax" and lay much flatter... usually I reverse-roll them twice, since the side that rolls up to the outside will usually try to stay as it was rolled in the box beforehand... rolling that side to the inside a second time will force it to curve the other way and "relax" the cardstock... Just don't roll it so tight that you put a kink in the paper... roll it about the same amount as it was inside the box when you opened the kit...

Then lay them flat for a good long while-- they'll come out perfectly flat with no tendency to "roll up" on you...

Hope this helps! OL JR :)

thought I would post some pictures of my Vostok and my Soyuz....the Soyuz is almost done...I am waiting for some decal paper to come in for some small decals to put on the strap on boosters but other than that, it was another fun Zooch kit!

These are neat kits! I can't wait to fly them. I am going to start his Luna next and with a little luck, the Zooch Sputnik should come in the mail tomorrow.
000_0645a.jpg000_0646a.jpg000_0643a.jpg

thought I would post some pictures of my Vostok and my Soyuz....the Soyuz is almost done...I am waiting for some decal paper to come in for some small decals to put on the strap on boosters but other than that, it was another fun Zooch kit!

These are neat kits! I can't wait to fly them. I am going to start his Luna next and with a little luck, the Zooch Sputnik should come in the mail tomorrow.
View attachment 124933View attachment 124934View attachment 124935

Looks terrific...

No frosting on the Soyuz?? LOL:) Later! OL JR :)

Hi Luke,
I went with the Soyuz as she would look getting wheeled to the pad....I am researching the Luna and Sputnik now...not much with the Sputnik....she looks like an army truck or something...overall OD or the Russian equivalent. Some pics of the Sputnik make it look like its overall white.
I am trying to do different schemes for my Zooch R-7 family. I do like the frost pattern though. But I thought with the Soyuz with the white upper fairing and the orange bands around the body of the rocket and by the fins, and the flags and logos that they now use, its actually a pretty colorful scheme on its own I think.

Looks terrific...

No frosting on the Soyuz?? LOL:) Later! OL JR :)

Hi Luke,
I went with the Soyuz as she would look getting wheeled to the pad....I am researching the Luna and Sputnik now...not much with the Sputnik....she looks like an army truck or something...overall OD or the Russian equivalent. Some pics of the Sputnik make it look like its overall white.
I am trying to do different schemes for my Zooch R-7 family. I do like the frost pattern though. But I thought with the Soyuz with the white upper fairing and the orange bands around the body of the rocket and by the fins, and the flags and logos that they now use, its actually a pretty colorful scheme on its own I think.

I see... that's cool... if you're going to have multiple variants of the same basic rocket, might as well represent the widest expanse of the appearances or types available...

This would make a good topic on its own... paint jobs, colors, patterns, and types used on the basic R-7 Soyuz rockets and its variants (Vostok, Voskhod, Luna, Sputnik... )

Where's Peter Alway when you need him?? LOL:)

Later! OL JR :)

OK....white background decal paper came in today's mail....added the small blue logos that the Russians put on the booster. Kinda small little detail, but its a small touch of color and I like the look of it.

My Soyuz is done...I'll coat it with Krystal Clear tomorrow. Can't wait to fly her! Thanks for checking it out!
000_0657a.jpg000_0655a.jpg000_0661a.jpg

Just a touch of color goes a long way to purdy up an R-7. I bet a nice D-10 will give you low earth orbital action on this one.

WHY?? The point of building a rocket like this is to SEE it fly... low-n-slo is the way to go! Shoving an 18mm composite "D" in it so it's a "blink and it's gone" flight completely outta sight just defeats the purpose IMHO...

To each his own I guess... Later! OL JR :)

WHY?? The point of building a rocket like this is to SEE it fly... low-n-slo is the way to go! Shoving an 18mm composite "D" in it so it's a "blink and it's gone" flight completely outta sight just defeats the purpose IMHO...

To each his own I guess... Later! OL JR :)

Because after a few whoosh pop C6 3 flights you will be ready to move beyond squirming hatch blowing and fly your Zoocher near the speed of balsa! Can they take it?

Because after a few whoosh pop C6 3 flights you will be ready to move beyond squirming hatch blowing and fly your Zoocher near the speed of balsa! Can they take it?

Sorry, I still don't get it...

I got over shoving the biggest motor that can possibly fit in it and letting it rip, usually never to be seen again, somewhere around 9th grade...

Course if that's how you get your jollies, more power to ya...

"Your rocket will probably end up rotting on a powerline or at the top of a tree anyway, but you can always go back to Dr. Zooch Rockets and order another one"... LOL:)

My goodness ,I`m still playing catch up on all these build threads I was following ,and finally made it to yours Rick......WOW ...another GEM for your collection (more of a diamond really !)

You do indeed have great skills and talent ,no doubt about that.I absolutely love this latest offering of yours and glad I came back to it.

Nice craftsmanship buddy !!!!

Sincerely yours;

Paul T

thanks for the kind words paul! much appreciated! it was a fun build....I was amazed how much info there is on the soyuz R-7 when compared to trying to research the Vostok...all kinds of marking on these now and each seems to have its own set of markings....makes for an interesting project I think and the end result is a pretty cool paint scheme!

I am going to try the Zooch Luna next....reading up on it at the present....but I have a Saturn 1b to repair first....

My goodness ,I`m still playing catch up on all these build threads I was following ,and finally made it to yours Rick......WOW ...another GEM for your collection (more of a diamond really !)

You do indeed have great skills and talent ,no doubt about that.I absolutely love this latest offering of yours and glad I came back to it.

Nice craftsmanship buddy !!!!

Sincerely yours;

Paul T

OK...four more...just like before....
four more boosters this time for the Zooch Luna...this will be the Luna supplement to this build thread..
000_0676a.jpg000_0677a.jpg

couple of pictures of my Luna spacecraft before paint....I used some left over Mylar corrugated plastic from my Zooch Mercury Atlas (pays to be a pack rat...) for the corrugated section, just trimmed some card stock for extra detail...made various verniers etc from balsa stock...she is getting painted now..I think it adds a little detail to the build..its tough to find good pictures of these early Russian rockets and space craft..did the best I could with what little I was able to find..
000_0671a.jpg000_0673a.jpg000_0674a.jpg

couple of pictures of my Luna spacecraft before paint....I used some left over Mylar corrugated plastic from my Zooch Mercury Atlas (pays to be a pack rat...) for the corrugated section, just trimmed some card stock for extra detail...made various verniers etc from balsa stock...she is getting painted now..I think it adds a little detail to the build..its tough to find good pictures of these early Russian rockets and space craft..did the best I could with what little I was able to find..
View attachment 130791View attachment 130792View attachment 130793

WOW! That looks great...

Is that yet another use for the Zooch Apollo capsule from the Saturn IB kits?? (I've noticed many parts are used between kits, like the Saturn SLA adapter transition on the Saturn IB kit is the upper conical Atlas tank section on the Mercury Atlas kit...)

thanks Luke! the Luna may be even worse than the Vostok when it comes to finding pictures...but all in all, I like how she is turning out.

and yes, you are correct...the Luna's nose cone is the Saturn 1b Apollo capsule...pretty neat on Dr. Zooch's part if you ask me because the nose is perfect, at least from the pictures I have seen.

WOW! That looks great...

Is that yet another use for the Zooch Apollo capsule from the Saturn IB kits?? (I've noticed many parts are used between kits, like the Saturn SLA adapter transition on the Saturn IB kit is the upper conical Atlas tank section on the Mercury Atlas kit...)

Looks really cool... Nice builds all...

Just a friendly suggestion, but you might aim for a better background for your photos in the future... maybe outside on a table-- it's amazing what full daylight can do for the picture quality, and a nice blue background... Sorry to even mention it but the couch or lawn furniture sorta "hides" them... course maybe it's my eyes...

I've had fun staging the "pad shots" that I do on the build threads-- the so-called "glamour shots"... LOL:)

They really look great... what you gonna work on next??

Thanks Luke! they were fun builds...I have his Sputnik which I think will be my next build.

sorry about the poor background...but I confess I went to the patio to get better lighting...I was trying to show some of the detail I added to the Luna spacecraft fairing etc....but you are right...they tend to blend into the background...that Russian camo is effective!!

Looks really cool... Nice builds all...

Just a friendly suggestion, but you might aim for a better background for your photos in the future... maybe outside on a table-- it's amazing what full daylight can do for the picture quality, and a nice blue background... Sorry to even mention it but the couch or lawn furniture sorta "hides" them... course maybe it's my eyes...

I've had fun staging the "pad shots" that I do on the build threads-- the so-called "glamour shots"... LOL:)

They really look great... what you gonna work on next??

Thanks Odo! I had a lot of fun building them!
After I wrapped up my Luna I decided to try my hand at building a plastic model again..something I hadn't done in about 20 years...that took about 3 months to complete....I am currently working on a little F-5a which I am about half way done. My next build is going to be a Zooch Lifting body after that I will most likely build the Sputnik and complete my Zooch R-7 family. I don't keep a huge build pile up here..I have the Sputnik, the Lifting Body and I have a Zooch Saturn 1b ASTP (which I have set aside for a future build....that is my fav rocket of all time and I keep building it each time trying new things to try to make it look better....its an obsession I think....:facepalm:)

You ever going to make the Sputnik?
Love your R7 family build :)

Latest posts

Back