Dr. Zooch Vostok build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks Mushtang! I appreciate it! I followed your build thread and was like I gotta buy that kit some day....I had fun with this build...its a challenge. I enjoy trying to add detail....kinda a throw back to my plastic modelling days. I wasn't happy with my witches hats, but I like the overall rocket. Heck, I went on to buy Dr. Zooch's Soyuz and I just purchased his Luna. The Soyuz is next....I am currently scanning the net for good close up pictures....there is a LOT more info out on the Soyuz R-7 for obvious reasons...

As for my Vostok, she is defintely going to fly! I tell you, packing the chute is tight...I mean real tight....

all in all...its a fun kit and I recommend it. the R-7 has its own look to it with those big strap on boosters...its cool looking.....so with a few more R-7's to build up here, I think I might get some extra practice making witches hats! Can't wait to start the Soyuz!

thanks for your comments and pointers during the build..always appreciated! :handshake: and thanks for your great build thread. I always enjoy your threads. You do a great job with them!

I think your witches hats turned out great - especially with out using any filler or sanding sealer! On my first Zooch - the Sputnik - I had a hat that didn't turn out to my liking, but I used some wood filler and then a few coats of sanding sealer and it looked fine. Covered up a lot of sin without adding much weight. Using filler is going to be a must when you build your Noris and Cosmodrome versions.

Thanks Daddy....I never thought to use filler...I kept plugging away that them....its a fun build! heck, all of the Zooch kits are fun!

I think your witches hats turned out great - especially with out using any filler or sanding sealer! On my first Zooch - the Sputnik - I had a hat that didn't turn out to my liking, but I used some wood filler and then a few coats of sanding sealer and it looked fine. Covered up a lot of sin without adding much weight. Using filler is going to be a must when you build your Noris and Cosmodrome versions.

another Zooch R-7 core stage and 4 strap on boosters taking shape up here....call this my Soyuz supplement....

000_0567a.jpg000_0566a.jpg

more pics to come....I have some thoughts on this neat little kit....

Hope everyone is enjoying their Easter! made some progress on my Dr. Zooch Soyuz this weekend and thought I would throw some pics up. hope you like it?
000_0576.jpg000_0577.jpg000_0584a.jpg000_0586a.jpg

I made the decals from stuff I found on line...I think they add a nice little touch to the kit. I used photo etched fine mesh screening for the SAS stabilization panels. I used some .035 plastic rod on the edges of the panels for detail as well as for another layer of glue to hold them down. I used some white pin stripe tape for the separation joint where this fairing would split in half. I have cable tunnels drying in the garage for the upper stage so that is not finished yet....but overall I think it turned out pretty neat! Another fun kit from the Doc!

Last edited:
in case anyone is interested, I found these web sites for the Zooch Soyuz markings. They have a pretty good selection of most of the markings you would need if you were to choose to add them. https://www.ninfinger.org/models/vault2010/Russian%20and%20other%20Logos/index.html

another link: https://www.ninfinger.org/models/vault2008/Soyuz%20TMA/index.html

seems to me that pretty much every Soyuz R-7 has its own unique markings. My daughter helped me to consolidate these all onto one sheet.
View attachment soyuz.docx This is the sheet I created. I always make extras. There are more markings that I could have put on here, but I wasn't sure how much room I was going to have and you have to reduce some of these to a really small size to get them on so I figured I would just copy the basics and go with them.

Last edited:
in case anyone is interested, I found these web sites for the Zooch Soyuz markings. They have a pretty good selection of most of the markings you would need if you were to choose to add them. https://www.ninfinger.org/models/vault2010/Russian%20and%20other%20Logos/index.html

another link: https://www.ninfinger.org/models/vault2008/Soyuz%20TMA/index.html

seems to me that pretty much every Soyuz R-7 has its own unique markings. My daughter helped me to consolidate these all onto one sheet.
View attachment 124094 This is the sheet I created. I always make extras. There are more markings that I could have put on here, but I wasn't sure how much room I was going to have and you have to reduce some of these to a really small size to get them on so I figured I would just copy the basics and go with them.

Wow that looks GREAT!!!! TERRIFIC work!!!

Later and KUTGW!!! OL JR :)

thanks Luke! as with all of the Dr. Zooch kits, she is a fun build! I feel like I am getting better at the witches hats....I kept steaming them!! Once I finish her, I have the Zooch Luna.....then nothing left in the build stack! :shock:

I have the fins and engines to build this week some time. I have some cable tunnels to hang on the booster. I have a couple decals for the strap on boosters and the chute....this kit came with a glorious RED parachute too....after that, she is done!

I am starting to surf the web for pictures of the Luna.....looks like another neat kit!

Wow that looks GREAT!!!! TERRIFIC work!!!

Later and KUTGW!!! OL JR :)

thanks Luke! as with all of the Dr. Zooch kits, she is a fun build! I feel like I am getting better at the witches hats....I kept steaming them!! Once I finish her, I have the Zooch Luna.....then nothing left in the build stack! :shock:

I have the fins and engines to build this week some time. I have some cable tunnels to hang on the booster. I have a couple decals for the strap on boosters and the chute....this kit came with a glorious RED parachute too....after that, she is done!

I am starting to surf the web for pictures of the Luna.....looks like another neat kit!

Now, SHE is REALLY getting good at making witches' hats... and looks hott doing it!!!!

Oz-The-Great-and-Powerful-wallpapers-1920x1080.jpgoz-the-great-and-powerful-mila-kunis.jpgOz-Great-and-Powerful-Poster.jpgozthegreatandpowerful.jpg

:lol::surprised::lol:

Build is coming along great... looking forward to your progress... :)

Later! OL JR :)

OK....added some cable tunnels to the R-7 core stage this evening and also some cable tunnels to the Soyuz upper stage...
000_0596a.jpg000_0592a.jpg000_0591a.jpg

cutting the fins tonight and will start filling and sanding them as well.

side by side shots of my Zooch Apollo 7 spacecraft assembly and my Zooch Soyuz space craft assembly....call them Cold War adversaries...both are really fun kits to build and detail!!
000_0292a.jpg000_0588a.jpg

side by side shots of my Zooch Apollo 7 spacecraft assembly and my Zooch Soyuz space craft assembly....call them Cold War adversaries...both are really fun kits to build and detail!!
View attachment 124336View attachment 124337

Looks good... but...

Cold War adversaries... with the US flag beside the Russian flag on the Soyuz?? Where are the glorious Soviet Red Stars... after all, we will bury you! LOL:)

One thing I'm wondering-- I noticed the "stabilizer grid fins" on the Soyuz fairing are sticking out a pretty good ways-- have you simmed what this is going to do to the stability margin?? I know that the fins on these kits are pretty darn small, and while the general "cone shape" of the lower stages with the strap on boosters should help move the CP aft, and Wes designs them with the proper noseweight built in and all that, and a fairly generous stability margin (well, about as much as one can realistically wring out of a rocket this shape with these size fins and such-n-such a weight of motor) I'm just wondering if the grid fins on the payload fairing are going to shift the CP forward and possibly make it unstable or neutrally stable...

I agree they LOOK terrific, but from what I can tell in real life they lay a little "flatter" against the side of the Soyuz fairing... they stick out, but not by quite so much... BTW, you know what those are for, right?? Kinda cool actually, and a very ingenious design...

Anyway, just wondering... probably not a problem, BUT, you never can tell... better safe than sorry... How similar are they to whatever Wes uses as "standard equipment" on the kit?? (if the shapes and sizes and amount the stuff sticks out is the same, then the aerodynamic effects should be the same, and it's no big deal... )

Hi Luke,
the SAS panels use Wes's braces....the kit asks you to use balsa for what would be the screen...I replaced the balsa with the photo etched mesh...the only change I made to the kit is to use the mesh. but in looking at Chris Michaelson's (HCMbanjo)....mine do seem to stick out a bit more than his...

Looks good... but...

Cold War adversaries... with the US flag beside the Russian flag on the Soyuz?? Where are the glorious Soviet Red Stars... after all, we will bury you! LOL:)

One thing I'm wondering-- I noticed the "stabilizer grid fins" on the Soyuz fairing are sticking out a pretty good ways-- have you simmed what this is going to do to the stability margin?? I know that the fins on these kits are pretty darn small, and while the general "cone shape" of the lower stages with the strap on boosters should help move the CP aft, and Wes designs them with the proper noseweight built in and all that, and a fairly generous stability margin (well, about as much as one can realistically wring out of a rocket this shape with these size fins and such-n-such a weight of motor) I'm just wondering if the grid fins on the payload fairing are going to shift the CP forward and possibly make it unstable or neutrally stable...

I agree they LOOK terrific, but from what I can tell in real life they lay a little "flatter" against the side of the Soyuz fairing... they stick out, but not by quite so much... BTW, you know what those are for, right?? Kinda cool actually, and a very ingenious design...

Anyway, just wondering... probably not a problem, BUT, you never can tell... better safe than sorry... How similar are they to whatever Wes uses as "standard equipment" on the kit?? (if the shapes and sizes and amount the stuff sticks out is the same, then the aerodynamic effects should be the same, and it's no big deal... )

All you need is the plucky little Sputnik and the full blown Zoocher R-7 drag race will be on! Then there can be the Saturn drag race, a Titan drag race and a Space Shuttle drag race!

Hi Luke,
the SAS panels use Wes's braces....the kit asks you to use balsa for what would be the screen...I replaced the balsa with the photo etched mesh...the only change I made to the kit is to use the mesh. but in looking at Chris Michaelson's (HCMbanjo)....mine do seem to stick out a bit more than his...

Ah, okay... nevermind then... LOL:)

I was just worried that they'd give sort of a "cone stabilizer" effect that would tend to shift the CP forward... but if they're the same size and shape as those in the Zooch kit, then they should have ZERO affect on the CP aside from that already accounted for in the design... in fact, the mesh of yours should allow some air to bleed through, reducing the CP effects in some way...

Carry on and looking good! OL JR :)

All you need is the plucky little Sputnik and the full blown Zoocher R-7 drag race will be on! Then there can be the Saturn drag race, a Titan drag race and a Space Shuttle drag race!

Drag race the Soyuz and Saturn IB... recreate the ASTP mission in miniature, and their both in the same "ant-scale"... how cool is that??

I'd LOVE to see Wes come out with a mini-Proton in the same ant-scale... so we could loft those mini-Salyuts or start building mini-Mirs out of beer cans or something... LOL:)

you know what Daddy? you are right...I need the Zooch R-7 Sputnik! I just ordered one from Dr. Zooch!

The Zooch Soyuz and Saturn 1b are really fun kits to build! when I wrap up my Soyuz I'll post some side by side pics with a Zooch 1b...

Drag race the Soyuz and Saturn IB... recreate the ASTP mission in miniature, and their both in the same "ant-scale"... how cool is that??

I'd LOVE to see Wes come out with a mini-Proton in the same ant-scale... so we could loft those mini-Salyuts or start building mini-Mirs out of beer cans or something... LOL:)

I looked over HCMbanjo's thread and I think he did a better job of trimming the SAS structure the I did. Its a very small "brace" and I think he trimmed it smoother.

I think mine should be OK for flight. I am actually more worried about them impacting the booster at ejection and getting wrecked, but heck, this baby was built to fly!

Ah, okay... nevermind then... LOL:)

I was just worried that they'd give sort of a "cone stabilizer" effect that would tend to shift the CP forward... but if they're the same size and shape as those in the Zooch kit, then they should have ZERO affect on the CP aside from that already accounted for in the design... in fact, the mesh of yours should allow some air to bleed through, reducing the CP effects in some way...

Carry on and looking good! OL JR :)

I looked over HCMbanjo's thread and I think he did a better job of trimming the SAS structure the I did. Its a very small "brace" and I think he trimmed it smoother.

I think mine should be OK for flight. I am actually more worried about them impacting the booster at ejection and getting wrecked, but heck, this baby was built to fly!

"SAS structure"... Is that the grid fins??

Those are on there in the event of an abort-- the seperation bolts fire at the base of the fairing where the capsule is held on the aggregate module (IIRC) and the LES motor fires above the fairing, and the grid fins roll downward into position sticking out 90 degrees from the base of the fairing to provide passive stability... Very ingenious...

N-1 used similar (but much larger) grid fins...

In fact, grid fins are making a comeback... aside from the MOAB bomb and such-- they're putting them on missiles now...

yes...that is the grid fins....the instructions call these fins SAS stabilization panels...the structure I am referring to is the hinge that you carve out of balsa...I am waiting for some decal paper to come in the mail....probably early next week. I made decals for the strap on boosters. It is some sort of logo in a blue and white rectangle. I will try to hang the chute this weekend...

it looks like we might actually get some nice weather tomorrow so I hope to be able to get out and fly some rockets tomorrow!

"SAS structure"... Is that the grid fins??

Those are on there in the event of an abort-- the seperation bolts fire at the base of the fairing where the capsule is held on the aggregate module (IIRC) and the LES motor fires above the fairing, and the grid fins roll downward into position sticking out 90 degrees from the base of the fairing to provide passive stability... Very ingenious...

N-1 used similar (but much larger) grid fins...

In fact, grid fins are making a comeback... aside from the MOAB bomb and such-- they're putting them on missiles now...

some pictures of my Soyuz....almost complete!
000_0597a.jpg000_0601a.jpg000_0604a.jpg000_0605a.jpg

I have a Zooch Luna next on the build table and last night I ordered the Zooch Sputnik to complete his R-7 family....had a shipping notification this morning! talk about customer service! thank you Wes!!

I have a Zooch Luna next on the build table and last night I ordered the Zooch Sputnik to complete his R-7 family....had a shipping notification this morning! talk about customer service! thank you Wes!!

You are a brave soul! As much as I enjoyed building mine and the other 4 Zooch kits I've done, I don't think I'll do another R7 for another year.

LOL...Kruland, you do make a point....its a fun build and I like how they look when they are done... but the witches hats take time and patience!

You are a brave soul! As much as I enjoyed building mine and the other 4 Zooch kits I've done, I don't think I'll do another R7 for another year.

Latest posts

Back