Dr. Zooch Vostok build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Odo! I had a lot of fun building them!
After I wrapped up my Luna I decided to try my hand at building a plastic model again..something I hadn't done in about 20 years...that took about 3 months to complete....I am currently working on a little F-5a which I am about half way done. My next build is going to be a Zooch Lifting body after that I will most likely build the Sputnik and complete my Zooch R-7 family. I don't keep a huge build pile up here..I have the Sputnik, the Lifting Body and I have a Zooch Saturn 1b ASTP (which I have set aside for a future build....that is my fav rocket of all time and I keep building it each time trying new things to try to make it look better....its an obsession I think....:facepalm:)

Alright :) I look forward to it.

What kind of paper did you print out the decals on?
in case anyone is interested, I found these web sites for the Zooch Soyuz markings. They have a pretty good selection of most of the markings you would need if you were to choose to add them. https://www.ninfinger.org/models/vault2010/Russian%20and%20other%20Logos/index.html

another link: https://www.ninfinger.org/models/vault2008/Soyuz%20TMA/index.html

seems to me that pretty much every Soyuz R-7 has its own unique markings. My daughter helped me to consolidate these all onto one sheet.
View attachment 124094 This is the sheet I created. I always make extras. There are more markings that I could have put on here, but I wasn't sure how much room I was going to have and you have to reduce some of these to a really small size to get them on so I figured I would just copy the basics and go with them.

Hi Owen,
I use Papilio decal paper for ink jet printers. I bought mine off of Amazon. The process is pretty straight forward. You find the image you want to use, scaled to the size you want, then you use the decal paper as if it were a regular sheet of printer paper. Once it is printed, you have to spray the decal sheet with a setting agent. this prevents the image form washing off in the water. After 30 minutes or so, you have a sheet of decals ready to go! I use both clear paper and white decal paper. On my Soyuz, I used the clear paper on the Soyuz section. I used the white backed paper on the booster section. With the dark grey color, the clear paper isn't really visible. The white paper allows a white background for the image, and, it turns out that is pretty much what they use on the real booster as well. I thought the decal were a nice little touch to the overall kit...

What kind of paper did you print out the decals on?

Thanks. I'm planning on building another Soyuz some time soon. I just haven't been able to decide whether I should build the ASTP first.
Hi Owen,
I use Papilio decal paper for ink jet printers. I bought mine off of Amazon. The process is pretty straight forward. You find the image you want to use, scaled to the size you want, then you use the decal paper as if it were a regular sheet of printer paper. Once it is printed, you have to spray the decal sheet with a setting agent. this prevents the image form washing off in the water. After 30 minutes or so, you have a sheet of decals ready to go! I use both clear paper and white decal paper. On my Soyuz, I used the clear paper on the Soyuz section. I used the white backed paper on the booster section. With the dark grey color, the clear paper isn't really visible. The white paper allows a white background for the image, and, it turns out that is pretty much what they use on the real booster as well. I thought the decal were a nice little touch to the overall kit...

Good choice!! I might just have to start one up here too. I keep a Zooch ASTP as my Armageddon rocket in case the world is going to end...I will sit down and pump out one more Saturn 1b in defiance...I am starting to look at my stored ASTP....its been almost a year since I built a Zooch 1b and I think its time for another one!

I ordered one on Saturday night.

I don't think anyone has done an ASTP build thread yet.
Good choice!! I might just have to start one up here too. I keep a Zooch ASTP as my Armageddon rocket in case the world is going to end...I will sit down and pump out one more Saturn 1b in defiance...I am starting to look at my stored ASTP....its been almost a year since I built a Zooch 1b and I think its time for another one!

the Zooch ASTP is an awesome kit and probably deserves its own build thread....I am probably going to buy a new one soon. I don't know if I should do a seperate build thread for her or just add it on to my other Zooch Saturn 1b thread as a supplement.

if you don't do a thread make sure to post pictures of her!!

Well...I don't know...

I thought about doing a build thread, but I don't think I have that much spare time. I'll definitely be posting pictures when it's completed though.
the Zooch ASTP is an awesome kit and probably deserves its own build thread....I am probably going to buy a new one soon. I don't know if I should do a seperate build thread for her or just add it on to my other Zooch Saturn 1b thread as a supplement.

if you don't do a thread make sure to post pictures of her!!

understand completely reagarding the build thread...they do take time. I do the best I can with mine and try to take as many pictures as I can....I look forward to seeing your 1b Owen!

I thought about doing a build thread, but I don't think I have that much spare time. I'll definitely be posting pictures when it's completed though.

Back