Downscales of some classics

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by Bill
Micro,

I took this picture at NARAM. Is this one of yours?

https://home.earthlink.net/~deiresearch/p8010693.jpg

Bill
Great lift-off Shot! much better then the smoke trail I caught;) Hope you don't mind if I snatch this one to put with the other flight photo's of this model:D

Yeap! That would be mine:D Astronboy and I build standard and micro Der Red Max model and launcher diorama's in prep for Naram-46. We took our que for the black and white alternate paint pattern and launch scene on the back of the original Der Red Max instructions sheet. We both were very pleased with the outcomes. working from the b&w we came up with three different "worm" camo paint patterns, I did a winter camo, and summer camo, Phred did a red/black camo. all very nice. Here are both of the micro DRM before decals on their working launchpad diorama:)

Micromeister:

You have some the Kewlest looking rockets!! The Der Red Max model and launcher diorama are just another great example!:)

Originally posted by Tucker5246
Micromeister:

You have some the Kewlest looking rockets!! The Der Red Max model and launcher diorama are just another great example!:)

Gorsh! i'm a blushin
Thanks for the kudo's Tucker...much appreciated.

Another thread reminded me of one of my model that isn't turely a downScale of a kit but a downScale in that it is a Micro version of another 18mm motor Scale model. the bullpup 12b.
Estes calls their model a 12-d but is isn't even close. it's closer to the 12b configuration.
this Scale model is as close a 1;26.9149 scale as I could handle. the most obvious change is the forward fin placement. one that's a bit harder to see but took hours of hand sanding to achive is the ridged dual oval tail cone which is not a cone at all. and the main fin tip spin bend built into the real missiles alumimum plate main fins.

Originally posted by Micromeister
This one was a Plan in Sport rocketry awhile back, but makes a fine downscale the micro Tri-FO. one is styrene the other is doubled over printer paper stock. not even cardstock, both fly great on MM-II motors

That's a cool little UFO. Do you have the plan for it on the Micro-Maxx forum?

I just finished up another downscale. It's an Orbital Transport and once again it's all cardstock except for the Quark nose cone.

I've been going through a lot of those cones lately.

I'm going to try and fly it this Saturday.

Originally posted by BobH48
That's a cool little UFO. Do you have the plan for it on the Micro-Maxx forum?

I just finished up another downscale. It's an Orbital Transport and once again it's all cardstock except for the Quark nose cone.

I've been going through a lot of those cones lately.

I'm going to try and fly it this Saturday.

Very Nice Cardstock OT, hope you have as much fun with it as I've had with my minimum dia. Mirco OT.

Yeap! the one page plan for the Micro TRI-F-O is in the files section, McCoys Micro Plans folder under Odd-Rocs #270

Here's a flight page of my micro OT, Yeap for those who are read, you have to keep your eye on the glider, it's very fast, but with a nice flat glide.

You guys have all got some really nice micros.
Just wondering, is that micro OT plan available anywhere?
I'd love to build a cardstock one.

Thanks

Tim

Originally posted by slim_t
I drew them up for myself so I guess that I have the only ones. They are 300 DPI tif files. Too big to post but if ya email me, I can send you a set. There's no instructions, just the parts but an experienced cardstock modeler can figure it out. I'm gonna fly mine on a 13mm 1/2A for the first flight. Mine's a little big and heavy for MMX.

I drew them up for myself so I guess that I have the only ones. They are 300 DPI tif files. Too big to post but if ya email me, I can send you a set. There's no instructions, just the parts but an experienced cardstock modeler can figure it out. I'm gonna fly mine on a 13mm 1/2A for the first flight. Mine's a little big and heavy for MMX.
Bob,
You need to sign-up for a CMASS user Web account.
Then you can upload those most excellent, 300 dpi, flying card models!!! :cool:

Originally posted by Mike_BAR
Bob,
You need to sign-up for a CMASS user Web account.
Then you can upload those most excellent, 300 dpi, flying card models!!! :cool:
Are you coming to the CMASS launch on Saturday? Maybe you can show me what I need to do to get this web account. I'm from the old mainframe computer world so I'm not as PC literate as some of you guys.

Are you coming to the CMASS launch on Saturday? Maybe you can show me what I need to do to get this web account. I'm from the old mainframe computer world so I'm not as PC literate as some of you guys.
I can not make it to the CMASS launch :( since funds are low right now.

I will email you with information about the CMASS Website for members.

Too big to post but if ya email me, I can send you a set. There's no instructions, just the parts but an experienced cardstock modeler can figure it out. I'm gonna fly mine on a 13mm 1/2A for the first flight. Mine's a little big and heavy for MMX.

Thanks. I sent you my email addy in the PM. No need for instructions, so that's fine, and I'm glad to hear it'll hold a 13mm.
Should be fun. Thanks again.

Tim

Thanks

Tim

Tim:
Yes the Micro OT (.281") minimum diameter body one page plan is in pdf format in the files section of the MicroMaxRockets yahoo group. I think we're up to 70 one page plans now;)

The Nasa Pegasus should go pretty well with a 3 X Micro Maxx cluster.

We'll see how well it flys at the next CMASS on June 25th.

I tried the Nasa Pegasus on a 3 X Micro Maxx cluster today. I was successful with all motors lit. At least three people tried to get a launch shot but it was just too quick off the pad.

micropegasus_3.jpg

I tried the Nasa Pegasus on a 3 X Micro Maxx cluster today. I was successful with all motors lit. At least three people tried to get a launch shot but it was just too quick off the pad.

3 mmx motors in a small models that weighs in the grams... ...yea, it was quick :)

Great flight too!

I think MicroMax clusters have really come into their own recently. very kewl

I've been reading some of this downscaling thread today. Lots of neat projects. I've downscaled (and upscaled) the Astron Cobra. Attached is a photo with an original size Astron Corba on the left, upscale in the middle (uses 3 24mm motors), and the downscale on the right (flies on 3 13mm motors).

grog:
Great looking bunch of Cobra's! A 3-C6 cobra was one of my first "seratch" models way back in the stone age. Lost it to the rocket eating tree gods on it's first flight so I don't even have a photo:(

AS down scales go one recently build and flown as a real treat. the Club did a bunny challange in March, we all did various scales of Peter Always Zvezdotchka-ACM (Anti-Carrot Missile) for a Fun theme launch. I chose to downscale mine to BT-5 with a MMX motor mount. Flys great and you can pet it as well;)

Originally posted by Micromeister
Tim:
Yes the Micro OT (.281") minimum diameter body one page plan is in pdf format in the files section of the MicroMaxRockets yahoo group. I think we're up to 70 one page plans now;)

70 plans! :eek:
Looks like it's time for me to join the group.
As if I didn't have enough to do already. ;)
I think I'll build the one Bob sent me first though, 13mm dia.
Thanks Micro.

Tim

70 plans! :eek:
Looks like it's time for me to join the group.
As if I didn't have enough to do already. ;)
I think I'll build the one Bob sent me first though, 13mm dia.
Thanks Micro.

Tim

Tim:
I'm about to add 2 more to the Downscales folder, likely tomorrow. Both Star Blazers (Old K-31 and newer #0831) Both in 10.5mm (T-4) body diameter. They are both in White at the moment in my paint chamber. Haven't decided what paint scheme to do on Star Blazer-2;)

Finished both Micro Star Blazer Downscales waiting for the Decals to dry on Star Blazer-II (0831) But I can post a slightly fuzzy pic of Star Blazer-1.
Both models are T-4 (.448") dia models so I could use Pratt Hobbies PN-105 (10.5mm) styrene nosecones. both have 100lb kevlar shock lines shielded with a .5" long piece of body tube with a thin slice removed to form a snug fit slide down to butt up to the top of the motor mount over the kevlar shockline. and a 3/4" x 18" red military grade teflon streamer. MM star blazer-I tips the lift off scales at 8.1g should be a very nice flyer.

Not sure how many TRF's are familar with Ken Browns "Mary Poppins" umbrella ODD Roc but its a Scream! I've been working on a Micro Mary Poppins cutout Odd-Roc but still haven't finished it, where her parasol will be her recovery system.
In testing those little tissue drink parasols have been used for testing. They work quite well on their own. they are a lot of fun at demo's.

Originally posted by rokitflite
Micromeister,
Does the little Flying Jenny perform well?

Scott:
Jenny Boosts beautifully, I still need to adjust the glide trim, she's just a tad bit nose heavy. Heres a little better pic of the Jenny and as best I could catch of one flight.
Maybe I'll get a chance to do some adjusting tomorrow at the sport launch? I hope fly to the Jenny and my Micro Ecee-1/8A RG, both new Star blazers and a teeny-Tiny 1-5/8" long body Crayon with downscale mosquito fins,

NO pic yet of the tiny crayon yet just finished brushing on the fluorescent red and yellow late last night. I'll try to get a photo up this afternoon? its' Soooo darn cute. This one started life as a birthday package warp tie-on, What I didn't realize when I picked them up, they are solid plastic. Luckily the OD is .3" so they were drilled out and filed to just pass the plastic motor casings of MM-1 motors. Cut off the tip and added a piece of spent casing as the nosecone shoulder, a 24" long piece of 50lb kevlar and a 1/4" x 10" yellow teflon streamer. Fins are .020" white styrene painted fluorescent Yellow....if we can SEE it, I might get it back:D:D I think the empty wt. was right at 2g with the addition of 4 #9 lead shot to get the CG forward a bit. I believe this is the smallest micro I've built to date. overall just a tad over 2.25" long. If this works I may try a 1.93 downscale mosquito...maybe call it a "NOseeEM" just for fun:D

Hope to see you out there tomorrow, Your welcome to stay out of the sun under our easy-up if you like.

Here's the photo 2grams empty weight w/ 1/4" x 10" yellow teflon streamer, 4 #9 lead shot and 24" of 50lb kevlar, and some brush on fluroescent red and yellow paint. should be just over 3.2g at lift-off with a MM-1 motor. standing 2-5/16" overall will it every be seen again??

Looking good Micro. Those little umbrella deals are cool too.
Oh, and the crayon. Isn't it funny: we shoot big rockets with big motors, they go out of sight, and we worry we'll never see them again. We shoot little bitty rockets on little motors, and the same thing happens. :D

Tim

Well, it wasn't just any old rainy weekend... it was Hurricane Dennis rainy!

The last assortment pack of NC's I picked up from BMS included several BT-5's
(BNC-5E, -5S, -5V and -5W). I always wondered what I'd use'em for.

The 'E' worked well with the Alpha, the 'V' matched the Bertha, 'W' for the Red MAx
and the 'S' for the Cherokee-D. The length of the 'S' wasn't quite long enough
to match the scale of the Cherokee, so I compensated by building with the shorter
of the two tube lengths.

Here's the family along side an Estes X-Prize Lucky Seven for scale.

Many thanks to gpoehlein for resurrecting this thread and the wraps! And
thanks to everyone else that posted- can't wait to fly these and try a few others.

Great Lookin bunch of downscales:) Hope everything went well with your and yours down in the Dennis Drenched sunshine state;)

My downscale Cherokee-8thA is based on .448" (T4 tubing) gets about 120' on MM-II motors and returns on a 5" X-form mylar chute. I think the X-Form suprises people when used on downscale and micro models. Sure helps keep em out of the Trees:)

Micro,

What would you consider the upper weight limit for Micro Maxx?

I typically make BT-5 size models and then decide whether to make them 13mm or Micro Maxx at the last minute.

I think that real draggy designs would need to be lighter.

Micro,

What would you consider the upper weight limit for Micro Maxx?

I typically make BT-5 size models and then decide whether to make them 13mm or Micro Maxx at the last minute.

I think that real draggy designs would need to be lighter.

I totally agree Bob: the larger Dia. clunkers need to be as light as we can get them. My personal observations and experiiments go something like this.

Minimum diameter micros .281" bodies and T-3 models can go 1 to around 14grams.
T-4 & T5 models simple single tube designs will fly well in the 8 to 12 gram range.
My general rule of thumb is to shoot for a max of 10grams finished model with recovery system.
Really clunky disigns that are more for show then great flight, Explorer Aquarius is a prime example tips the scales empty at 17.1g. 18.2 at lift-off, best flight so far as been maybe 15 feet. but it does have time to deploy the chute and float down undamaged. I have a few PMC's that are smaler in dia. while slightly heavier. 1/72 bell X-1 with an Ewt: of 18.65g, LOWT at 19.75grams to date hasn't made altitude beyond about 10 feet but still has a chute out and open to save her from damage. she still has both wing probs. That is the heaviest model form which I've had a successful flight.
I have several different construction .448" Skydarts that just will not get under 20.3 grams once painted. LOWt of 21.4g they will simply not make it much past the end of a 9" launch rod:(

So Max Ewt with recovery system should stay under 15grams, with best performance by models at or below 10grams.

I've successfully converted some 1/4A glider designs, while others of the same OA weight just will not get out of thier own way, when launched from a rod. a micro piston make a world of difference on them;)
If you deform the rear end of a BT-5 you can get two MMX .281" tube in for some very nice cluster flights:D
Hope this helps.

Back