Downscales of some classics

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by Micromeister
Minimum diameter micros .281" bodies and T-3 models can go 1 to around 14grams.
T-4 & T5 models simple single tube designs will fly well in the 8 to 12 gram range.
My general rule of thumb is to shoot for a max of 10grams finished model with recovery system.
John, Thanks for the info.

I have a number of T5 size models that weigh in between 9 - 12 grams that I put 13mm engine blocks in because I thought they might be a little heavy for Micro-Maxx, but on 1/2A3-4T's they go way too fast for me to follow.

It would be easy to just put a Micro-Maxx motor mount in these and save my neck from whiplash. A side benefit is that they would be flyable in my back yard.

Estes is still making their 1/4A3 motors I believe ( haven't bought any in about a year)
I'm using made-up tape in motor mounts for some of my smaller Bt-5 models, with a slilt piece of 13mm tubing a pair of T2+-T5 fibre rings sanded down to fit the split 1-7/8" bt-5 and a 1" lenght of T2+ tubing. The extra length lets the mount hang out the back of the model about 1/8th which is taped it like a motor;) First attempts were with expended casing but that was just to heavy. If you watch your CA or Elmer's these will be under a gram:D

For those of you who really like gliders and want a small field GREAT flyer. I strongly recommend a MMX downscaled Edmonds Ecee canard RG This this flys about as well as any glider I've ever bulit! One little trick I learned after last Saturday's flgiht, baby powered the canard sliding lock down plug. this helps ensure it's pushed all the way forward preventing kicking out the motor casing like my latest flight. She still tried to glide even with only partical canard lock down and less weight in the tail:D

Anyone done any Goony downscales?
the only one i've done was one of the all time funnest Missile Toe. Cracks me up every time I fly it:D
That sounds like a good use for those Mosquito cones that I have been accumulating.

When I get the BT-5 nose cone assortment they have been coming with 3 quark cones and 2 Mosquito cones.

I have been finding a lot of uses for the Quark cones but the others have been piling up.

Alright inspired by this thread, I went looking for another downsize I could do
with materials on hand...

The same BMS assortment pack I mentioned before also included some BT-20
cones. HMMM. Probably close enough for the Fat Boy and Big Daddy. ;)

Here's the result alongside the originals. Sorry for the poor focus- the batteries
were dying...

With the success of the Fat Boy and Big Daddy, I decided to make a stop
at the local hobby shop for the Estes PNC-5 multi-pak.

Then decided I've always liked the Solar Sailer II... why not?

The center tube is printer paper rolled over a 3/8" dowel mandrel. I cut a 2"
BT-5 coupler in half and wrapped the paper tube with masking tape until
it fit the coupler. Then I glued the whole thing to the fore/aft BT-5 tubes.

The fin dowel material was replaced by weedwacker line.

Here it is next to the Estes Lucky Seven for scale.

Brianc,

Great job on the Fat Boy, Big Daddy, and Solar Sailer II.

Better watch out! Downscaling gets to be a habit and the next thing you know you'll be picking up those PNC-5 mutli-paks all the time.

Originally posted by BobH48
Better watch out! Downscaling gets to be a habit and the next thing you know
you'll be picking up those PNC-5 mutli-paks all the time.
LOL! Yeah, I'm already blaming you guys for dragging me away from
my <a href="https://rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18414">scale Maxus build!</a>

Problem is, I've got 4 more PNC-5's left.... HMMMM. The Shrox SHX-15B?!!?
Let's see BT-70 is 57mm... 13.8 divided by 57....... :)

Brianc:
All three are a super looking job! I expecially like the Solar sailer.
Bob is rights. I haven't built a standard or LMR in months. I've got several multi-D clusters that are needed to be completed before the clubs Sept night launch but I just haven't been inspired to work on them....TOOOOO many models to downscale:D

Great looking stuff, keep up the good work.

Originally posted by brianc
LOL! Yeah, I'm already blaming you guys for dragging me away from
my <a href="https://rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18414">scale Maxus build!</a>

Problem is, I've got 4 more PNC-5's left.... HMMMM. The Shrox SHX-15B?!!?
Let's see BT-70 is 57mm... 13.8 divided by 57....... :)
It gets to be an obsession. ;) I haven't posted any new ones lately because I am finishing up all the "standard size" models that I started over the winter.

Besides, my wife wants to know why I am building so many new rockets when I haven't even lost all the ones I made last year. :rolleyes: ;) :p

It gets to be an obsession.
Yup!

Here's my latest- a BT-5 Blue Ninja.

I had some holographic Christmas wrap, but couldn't find it- so I used a piece
of silver mylar as a base. Then I covered that with some Reynolds Blue Plastic wrap.
I left some of the tiny wrinkles to make up for the lack of holograms. ;)

The big Ninja is my son's and it's a bit beat up. Hopefully, my little'un will hold up...

I didn't realize until I put the Gnome into the shot for scale, just how similar the
two are...

bt5-blueninja-3.jpg

buddy Scott Branche Showed me one of his strange Odd Roc experiments which I just had to DownScale! For lack of a better name I've tagged it SpinFing Thing.
Scott's original is a twin 13mm motor model with a BT-101 coupling as the tail ring, with 1/8" balsa struts and 8 -3/32" balsa fins
My 1:1.936 DownScale starts with a 2.005" coupling as the tail ring with 2 - .281" motor tubes, I went with all .063" balsa for the struts and 8 fins all set on a 60 degree cant. Thinking I wanted to keep the weight down I didn't prime or sand anything, simply used a little woodhardener and sprayed a light sinple coat of white, then hand painted some fluorescent yellow, orange and red. Ewt: of 4.5g and LOWt: of 6.8g with 2 MM-II motors
Yesterday afternoon Mary and I went over to the little park across the street from the house to test fly.
I set the launcher up close to the street since the prevailing breeze was towead the rocket eating trees about 75' away.
OH MAN was that thingy FAST. and as you'll see below I completely missed the flight with the digital on Burst mod!
As luck would have it SpinRing Thing worked TOO WELL! blasting to 120plus feet almost too quickly to see. I picked her up spinning down right into the very top branches of the 100' Oak tree on the edge of the field. the Binoculars showed her hooked solidly on a twig:( I'm Planning on building two more this week, one a single motor variant, that should slow the speed a bit. and another Twin motor. this time I'll not worry about weight so much, pirme and sand and finish a good bit better:)
A very niffty, very high flying downscale.

after loosing the first micro twin motor SpinRing Thing, I wanted to replace it and try a single motor varient.
both flew very nicely today, and I got them both back:D

Attachments

• mm 310a2b-sm_1 & 2 motor spinring things_07-30-05.jpg
    mm 310a2b-sm_1 & 2 motor spinring things_07-30-05.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 27
I just found this thread again.. I can't believe that it's been almost a year since the last post.

Alright, I know that someone out there has made new downscales since then. Let's see some pictures.

I have a new downscale for 13mm motors. It's a U.S.S. Atlantis made entirely of cardstock except for the Quark nose cone. There are so many uses for that cone!

This is just the boilerplate model without any details added. It has flown twice, once on a 1/2A3-4T and on an A3-4T. Real nice straight flights.

I was hoping it would be light enough for Micro-maxx but it tips the scale at 13.5 grams without any details and without a MMX motor mount. I think I just might try it anyways.

Very nice, Bob. I haven't had a chance to build any more since my last post, but I've got a couple in the works, including a Star Speeder and a Zoom Broom. The wraps are printed and all I have to do is build the darned things.

Greg

Bob and Greg,

Do either of you have any wrap files that you wanted to share with the model rocket community? Or... at least me:D

I have built one of Greg's (at least I think it was Greg's) BT5 Cherokee models. I was going to fly it at the last club launch, but a fin fell of before I got to the pad. Oh well... at least it didn't come off in flight. I'll CA on the new one soon.

DeWain

Well - I haven't built it yet, but here's the wrap for the Zoom Broom.

Greg

And here is the wrap for the Star Speeder. As per my other wrap rockets, I suggest printing out on presentation paper (or business gloss) then gluing to the appropriate length of BT-5 (and BT-50 for the Star Speeder).

Greg

Originally posted by DeWain
Do either of you have any wrap files that you wanted to share with the model rocket community? Or... at least me:D
All of mine are TIF files which can't be posted here. They would be too big anyways. If you want to PM me with your email address, I can send off the files. Let me know which ones.

There are no instruction with them because I made them for myself and I knew my own construction techniques. I have intended to make instructions but haven't as of yet.

Bob,

Nice job on the Atlantis! That's a fine looking rocket! Does is use streamer recovery?

Jason

Originally posted by jjnodice
Bob,

Nice job on the Atlantis! That's a fine looking rocket! Does is use streamer recovery?

Jason

Jason,

Yes, it is a streamer recovery but it's so light that I could probably get away with just nose blow recovery.

I just found this thread again.. I can't believe that it's been almost a year since the last post.

Alright, I know that someone out there has made new downscales since then. Let's see some pictures.

I have a new downscale for 13mm motors. It's a U.S.S. Atlantis made entirely of cardstock except for the Quark nose cone. There are so many uses for that cone!

This is just the boilerplate model without any details added. It has flown twice, once on a 1/2A3-4T and on an A3-4T. Real nice straight flights.

I was hoping it would be light enough for Micro-maxx but it tips the scale at 13.5 grams without any details and without a MMX motor mount. I think I just might try it anyways.

Great looking Atlantis Bob:
Your probly right about trying to fly her on Micros, with an ewt of 13.5 by the time you add the motor mount and MMX motor she'd be on the hefty side:) Maybe you can find some 1/4A's to flry her on:)
Wonderful job anyway.

It's been that long since we posted to this thread? Man Time sure flys when you hav'in fun:D

I guess about the last things i've taken time to complete has bee a downscale "thumbtack" and a micro Falcon BG below.
Boosts straight as an arrow with the 2deg incidence added to the wing suggested by Mr Bundick. She's turned in a couple very nice glide times after just a tad of clay on the tail:D

As with many of my other Micro downscales a one page plan is available in the files section of either the MicroMaxRockets or Micro_Max_plans Yahoo groups.

That microfalcon is really nice, John! I gather the parts are all hand made? (If not, where did you find the T2++ tubing?)

Greg

I had the T2++ tubes made for another project a couple years ago. Totally tubular made them up for me, .316" OD, .290" ID. I'm sure it's be an easy roll your own tho;) Jim, Said he was going to stock the size but I haven't seen them in his printouts. I'm sure if you ask he may have them already?

your Zoom Broom and Speeder are pretty neat as well Greg. Actually the Speeder is on my list of Micro downscales to be done in T3. (.375") tubing at some point;)

I had the T2++ tubes made for another project a couple years ago. Totally tubular made them up for me, .316" OD, .290" ID. I'm sure it's be an easy roll your own tho;) Jim, Said he was going to stock the size but I haven't seen them in his printouts. I'm sure if you ask he may have them already?

your Zoom Broom and Speeder are pretty neat as well Greg. Actually the Speeder is on my list of Micro downscales to be done in T3. (.375") tubing at some point;)

Thanks, John - they should both be fun to build and fly - not sure if the speeder will be too heavy for a mmx tho - just have to build it and see.

I'll have to see if I can come up with a mandrel for making that tube. I noticed the contest marking on your bird - have you had any luck in contests with it? I may have to try to get our club to do a 1/8A glider event in our next regional! ;)

Greg

Originally posted by gpoehlein
Thanks, John - they should both be fun to build and fly - not sure if the speeder will be too heavy for a mmx tho - just have to build it and see.

I'll have to see if I can come up with a mandrel for making that tube. I noticed the contest marking on your bird - have you had any luck in contests with it? I may have to try to get our club to do a 1/8A glider event in our next regional! ;)

Greg

Yes, we've had a couple BG and RG contests that have produces some very impressive flights. this particular Falcon was still a bit nose heavy during her first BG contest entry. but still turned in a 20 sec. flight, Now that i've trimed it a bit better it's a very fine soaring little bird, almost lost it on a "test" flight a few weeks back... tried to thermal away.. I got lucky and she circled out before I lost sight of it. landing about a very football fields away from our starting point:) As mentioned bunnies 2degree incident on the wings made all the difference they are clearly marked on the plan.

I rolled a couple early tubes on a .290" copper tube picked up at the hobby shop, not brass..copper. soft as all get out so I had to be very careful not to bend the stuff while laying up the tubes. but a two layer spiral wrap of computer paper held up very well for about 8 or 10 contest flights;)

Back