3D Printing Do you inventory your filament?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huxter

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I ended up w 2 spools of white pla because I forgot I had one already (both matte). No biggie, white is a common color for me to print with.

My "inventory" is the see-thru ability of my containers! :)

How do you keep track of the filament you have on hand? Like what color and type of material PLA/PETG...

I'm currently around the 50 ish spools range. Only polished off 2 spools so far. :)

Thanks in advance!

Not the answer you're looking for, but I just re-bag the roll and put it back in the box it came in.

I actually only inventory my specialty filaments and the extra rolls from bulk orders, I JIT order rolls for my standard filament. Since I'm color agnostic (I either paint or don't care), I tend to have fun with the colors I order.

I get a sharpie and identify the boxes consistently and in the same spot so I can see what's in them without putting glasses on and figuring the code. PN10=Nylon.......or whatever it is. :) I also test the filament to make sure it is what it says and MEASURE the actual diameter. ABS+ does not dissolve in acetone.... Burns like ABS, prints like ABS.....but doesn't smooth.....
Also if you weigh the empty spools as you use various spool types, then from the half filled spools, if you know the weight of an empty spool you can figure out how much is left.

Last edited:
I never have more than 3-4 rolls on hand at any given time so no inventory really beyond...."yep, I have some" or "looks like its time to order more"
I was like that until it became impossible to get natural ABS without selling your firstborn. I cant wait 9 months to print.... 😁

Back