Different varieties of CA?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do get a kick out of reading how people don't trust CA. I quite funny because I come from an R/C aircraft background where CA is used quite extensively on everything from the smallest micro R/C all the way to 200+ mph jet aircraft.

I built and flew R/C planes until the Helicopter bug bit me and I never looked back...

One of the luxuries with R/C airplanes is a successful flight doesn’t impact the ground at 15-25 FPS like a rocket does. Planes also land on structures designed to take the impact of landing.

My experience/education for adhesives isn’t the most extensive by a long shot, but I’ve been taught (and my own experience) is that CA is almost always the strongest, but it is also one of the least tough adhesives. CA is the ceramic of the adhesive world — repeated sharp impacts have a way of shattering joints made with CA while PVA and Epoxy flex and hold.

Still, I love Mercury Adhesives CA. The bottles are amazing - never clogs, CA doesn’t stick to the nozzle, and the cap screws off easily, even after CA has cured between the cap and nozzle.

Back