Deformed QJet casing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anybody have any ideas on how to get a deformed QJet casing out of a plastic fin can?
Short of cutting apart the fin can?
I tried to remove it shortly after recovery while it was still warm but only managed to get it halfway out.
0904231444[1].jpg

Might still have a better shot at loosening it up from the inside with the end removed. Also, with the end removed, it might be easier to crush it a bit to loosen it up.

I'm just spitballing here.
Thanks for your ideas.
Well, I went ahead and muscled it out with a pair of pliers.
Heard the fin can cracking while I was pulling it out.
Here's why it wouldn't come out:
0904231653[1].jpg
Huge bump in the casing from the motor burn.
Sheesh.
This is a motor from a bulk pack (B4-4) that was sent as a replacement for an early production bulk pack that had numerous problems.
They fixed the clay nozzle erosion problem but not the engine casing and inconsistent delay problems, it would seem.
If this was in a paper motor tube it would be stuck forever.
Laters.

Last edited:
Thanks for your ideas.
Well, I went ahead and muscled it out with a pair of pliers.
Heard the fin can cracking while I was pulling it out.
Here's why it wouldn't come out:
View attachment 602322
Huge bump in the casing from the motor burn.
Sheesh.
This is a motor from a bulk pack (B4-4) that was sent as a replacement for an early production bulk pack that had numerous problems.
They fixed the clay nozzle erosion problem but not the engine casing and inconsistent delay problems, it would seem.
If this was in a paper motor tube it would be stuck forever.
Laters.

I have had that happen too. The casings can get really soft so the opposite is true-the paper motor tube keeps the casing in shape. Gary R. has stated before he felt it was the delay that causes that, so it’s not a pressure bulge. I have been able to bend a q-jet in half after a flight.

Hmmm, fight fire with fire?

Break out the nozzle, put a soldering iron in (May want to do this outdoors with gloves and safety glasses on.)

Heat up the iron and keep tension on motor. I’m thinking as the plastic softens in will become pliable and “fold” back in.

Then again, the heat be more likely to just expand the case and make it worse.

Back