Decal fix

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was applying decals to a Fliskits MX V2 and ran into a problem a few weeks ago. There are decals for black lettering on the white fins and white lettering on the black fins. The black lettering went on fine but when I applied the "white" lettering the decal disappeared on the black background. It was printed on clear decal paper so the "white" lettering was actually the backing paper showing through the clear portion of the decal.
0504201914[1].jpg

Finally decided to try a fix today. It involves making a double decal. Measured four 7mm x 7mm squares of white decal paper and applied them to the black fins.
0504201913[1].jpg

Then applied the remaining decals over the four white squares
0504201919[1].jpg
0504201953[1].jpg

Problem solved.
And it only took 3 or 4 weeks. 🙄
Cheers.

Well done. What I want to know is how you managed to remove and preserve the white-on-clear decals after you'd already applied them to the fins. I guess you'd see the problem right away when the first one was laid down and just slide it off. Can one simply put them back on the backer paper and re-wet them later?

Can one simply put them back on the backer paper and re-wet them later?
I put mine back on the backing paper but there's not enough adhesive for the "used" decal to stick the next time.
So I went ahead and overcoated with a brush on clear decal solution after application to lock it down.
I suppose any clear overcoat will do.

It was printed on clear decal paper so the "white" lettering was actually the backing paper showing through the clear portion of the decal.

Heh, so that sounds like that could never possibly work! On the black lettering decal, was the white background clear, or white? Is it possible that the white lettering goes on the white fin?

Either way, nice fix.

Back