DARS Launches - Dallas Area Rocket Society

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am getting tired of building and am ready to launch something!

Fingers crossed for some rain.

Luckily my other hobby, RC aircraft, is basically unaffected by the burn ban.

After an afternoon build session with the boys we have 3 new LPR, a 38 MD, and a catapult ready.

We are prepared for the end of burn bans, and possibly an attack by tiny Visigoths.

image.jpg

The MD accepts up to a 38-1080, but none of our waivers will. :cool: Our waivers are probably protecting me from myself, but the one in Asa won't.

Last edited:
After an afternoon build session with the boys we have 3 new LPR, a 38 MD, and a catapult ready.

We are prepared for the end of burn bans, and possibly an attack by tiny Visigoths.

View attachment 271300

The MD accepts up to a 38-1080, but none of our waivers will. :cool: Our waivers are probably protecting me from myself, but the one in Asa won't.

Sweet looking MD. I dig the fin design and that it's forward of the bottom of the airframe.

Sweet looking MD. I dig the fin design and that it's forward of the bottom of the airframe.

Thanks. The thing is so very over stable that moving the fins forward is no worry. Should protect them on landing also. We'll see how well Chinese Carbon Fiber plate fins hold up. My guess is somewhere around 5-6 grains. This is the first rocket for my launch tower, I'm very much looking forward to it.

Thanks. The thing is so very over stable that moving the fins forward is no worry. Should protect them on landing also. We'll see how well Chinese Carbon Fiber plate fins hold up. My guess is somewhere around 5-6 grains. This is the first rocket for my launch tower, I'm very much looking forward to it.

Now, all we need is a launch!!! Any word from yesterdays meeting? Nothing scheduled on the DARS calendar although that could change at any moment. :cool:

Why didn't anyone warn me that that remodeling was hard work???? :p

Everything has gone well so far but total distractions abound. Actually had to take my son to the emergency room yesterday :(. He's fine thankfully. I figure I'm about at 40% completion. The shower niches and tile pattern require some difficult cuts coming up; otherwise I'd say 60%.

Everything has gone well so far but total distractions abound. Actually had to take my son to the emergency room yesterday :(. He's fine thankfully. I figure I'm about at 40% completion. The shower niches and tile pattern require some difficult cuts coming up; otherwise I'd say 60%.

I'm glad your son is OK.

I just got an update.

No HP launch scheduled due to the current burn bans. All waivers are being renewed with the FAA in anticipation of us actually managing to squeeze a launch in somewhere/sometime.

I haven't seen any news on Asa yet this year, and I have conflicts with each of the upcoming regional scheduled HP launches. This is starting to get absurd.

I am previously engaged for the last weekend in Sept, but nothing yet for the last weekend in October if we get to have a HP launch then.

If we get to launch in Frisco on 9/19, I should be there by noon or 1pm.

If all goes well at Balls I am going to fly the 8 inch Pike locally first chance I get so I can have William with me and invite some family and friends. Corsicana would be great but if not maybe we could all go to Asa. Marlin is planning a big October Sky launch as soon after getting back from Balls. If you are anywhere on the south side of DFW then Asa is a easy drive and Marlin and Maggie are nice people.

If all goes well at Balls I am going to fly the 8 inch Pike locally first chance I get so I can have William with me and invite some family and friends. Corsicana would be great but if not maybe we could all go to Asa. Marlin is planning a big October Sky launch as soon after getting back from Balls. If you are anywhere on the south side of DFW then Asa is a easy drive and Marlin and Maggie are nice people.

Good luck on the playa. If Marlin's launch isn't on October 3rd (timing a 5K in Benbrook that morning), I'll try to make it down. It is such a good field, and Marlin was indeed very nice to me and the boys when we were there a few years ago.

Since there seems to be no high power flying in our immediate future in North Texas I am heading up to Tulsa at the end of the month for "High Frontier 12". It's a pretty long 5 hour drive but at least it's a 2 day launch and they have on site camping. Should be able to get a few virgin rockets in the air and smell that AP again:clap: it's been far too long.

If anyone is interested in going here is the link.

https://www.tulsarocketry.org/high-frontier-12/

Yeah, Marlin is super cool. He signed for my Level 2 flight a few years back. Great site and great people.

I bet Robert V will hook us up. I have a Kosdon by Aerotech motor I'd love to fly. Would be my first snap ring motor. I actually bought the hardware out of the trunk of Frank's rental car at LDRS in Amarillo many years ago. Sadly I never got a chance to buy any original Kosdon reloads so this is as close as it gets. Something's better than nothing I guess....

Last edited:
If you'd like to try some more snap ring motors, I happen to know someone who has a decent selection of them on hand...

Oklahoma is sounding more inviting. I'll throw my hat in a say there's a 5% chance I'll attend. Somethings better than nothing I guess.

I got the go ahead from my loving wife to attend High Frontiers and celebrate our anniversary some other time, so I'll be flying in Oklahoma. Now to get Bob ready for a cluster flight.

Looking pretty good to make it to the model rocket launch in Frisco by 12:30 or 1. I have to do something else near Dallas in the AM.

Well, I chickened out on going to Frisco. I was at a model airplane event out near Seagoville this morning and while we missed 95% of the rain out that way, it looked like Frisco was getting a fair amount of rain based on the radar picture, so I stayed in Seagoville and kept flying.

There is always next month!

You made the right choice, Tom. We set up a couple of model pads for the Cub Scouts and special needs kids that came out. Got their flights in and packed up. It rained on us, light but steady the entire time.

I hear you. This has certainly been a heck of a year for trying to fly.

It wasn't the rain today, so much as the lightning that helped make the decision to pack it in.

Although I make a living in the energy sector, I totally don't dig lightning. I have a story to tell about that. Maybe some other time :y:.

I am betting that October will be better and we will get a good model rocket launch in. Something will give somewhere and we will get a HP launch at some point.

Back