DARS September HP Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlfaBrewer

Reaction score
DARS (Dallas Area Rocket Society) will be holding a High Power launch Saturday 9/27 at our high power field in Gunter, TX. The current weather forecast has sunny skies with a high of 90°, and winds from the east staying under 10mph. As always, please check the website www.dars.org before heading out. All changes will be posted on the front page.

Launch Details:
Date: Saturday, 9-27-2014
Time: 9 am setup, 10am – 5 pm Launch hours
Location: Gunter High Power Field – Follow this link for directions https://www.dars.org/NAV-special.html
Altitude Limit: 1 mile AGL (5,280 ft above ground level)
Pads Available: Model Rocket, Mid Power, and High Power (Please let us know in advance if you plan on launching a complex rocket or any K or larger motors)
Certification: NAR or Tripoli - All high power flyers must show a current NAR or TRA membership card to prove certification level - no exceptions.
Flight Prep: All high power rockets and flight plans will be reviewed by the RSO before pad assignment to ensure compliance. If you are planning a flight that will be close to our waiver, be prepared to answer many questions or provide a simulation.
Registration/Range Fees: FREE Under 18 modroc/sport.
$5 Adult modroc/sport
$20 High-Power (not DARS member)
$10 High-Power DARS member
Bathroom Facilities: A portable toilet facility will be on-site.
Food/Beverages: Nearest food/gas/facilities are 4 miles northeast, back into Gunter. (It is best to bring your own)
Flight Cards: to speed up range operations please bring your flight cards already filled out to the field. https://www.dars.org/library.html
Let me thank you in advance for your support.

I don't have an account at YORF, so I'll say that we will miss you Ted. Fortunately some folks stepped up for the towing. There is a very low wind forecast for tomorrow...I'm shooting for 4300'.

I've responded over at YORF as well.

There's really only 7-8 people (out of the 200+ members) who do EVERYTHING for the club. If you don't like how things are being handled, you are more than welcome to volunteer to take over the task. As with any volunteer run operation, we all have commitments to other things which are often in direct conflict with rocket activities.

I sent a request out at the start of the month for people willing to haul the equipment. I got a total of ZERO responses. The second request also got no response. It wasn't until the launch was threatened with cancellation that we got a couple of people to respond. If I had several volunteers and just screwed around and didn't get the logistics handled, I think the complaints would be valid.

We've managed to have HP launches 5 of the last 6 months (June was scrubbed due to winds). Since it appears this is too much for the club to support, logistically, I'm going to recommend we move to bi-monthly or quarterly HP launches. The other option would be to have the HP launches become a "bring your own equipment" affair.

Another option is this: We can get the necessary gear to the field without a truck. This would require 3-4 people willing to haul equipment in their car/minvan/other. All of the equipment is designed to fit in the truck of a small car, so this is quite possible. The problem here is, I again got ZERO responses to this request.

Hauling the trailer is an all day job. To get the trailer to the field by 9, you've got to pick it up by 8. Then you don't get it dropped back off until about 6. Add in how long it takes to get from your house to Jack's, and you've signed up for a solid 12 hour day. Not many people are willing to give up an entire Saturday for a job that people only gripe about when it doesn't happen.

As for renting a truck, the costs would be prohibitive. You pay the normal daily rate plus mileage, extra insurance, etc. I think expecting the club to pay that if none of the members with a truck (of which there are plenty) will step up is a huge stretch. However, if you'd like to foot that bill, I'll gladly accept.

Frankly, this discussion really irks me. People griped that we didn't have a HP field. Now that we do (THANK YOU, TED), we can't get support from club members to make the HP launches happen without drama. But for people to just complain without trying to be a part of a solution is utter crap.

Chuck,

I'll publicly say thanks for a great launch. You'll hear no complaints from me. I, and I'm sure the silent majority, are very appreciative of the effort put in by yourself and the core group that makes a launch like that happen.

It was a great day except for a few mishaps, could have done without the land shark, but otherwise a great launch.

Chris

I could have done without the ballistic recovery, myself. At least my fincan survived. That's all that survived, though. The motor will have to be cut down to a 38/240. I wanted another one of those, anyways.

It was a great launch and thanks to Chuck for his effort.

Let's lift some spirits; this was probably the first video of the epic and classic Aerotech I65. It hasn't been in production for ~20 years and was a joy that it occurred at a DARS launch. Fitting that it was in a patch of vibrant blue sky; a sign of things to come I'm certain. There have been many old school, and I really mean Old School, guys coming back which is a giant plus. The ingredients are all there, it just has to have time to mix. No pun intended.......

[video=youtube_share;IAxqRKT4TEc]https://youtu.be/IAxqRKT4TEc[/video]

Last edited:
I want to thank Chuck also, the club volunteers do a great job. I have been busy this year and I am about to start my L3 build but I am planning on flying less and serving more next year. To bad the ceiling lowered and I had to hold off on the L1150 and launch the K1275.
Thanks again to those who volunteer ,
Robert

trying to post video url with no luck...... stay tuned.......

Okay, let's try this. Chris B's Cherokee (right??) on an Aerotech I366 Redline to ~4200'. Really nice:

[video=youtube;poUk0vbXQFI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poUk0vbXQFI&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Sweet, I didn't know there was video!

Yes, AT I366-14 redline. It out performed sim by about 8%.

The RRC3 showed 4645 ft at a max speed of 481mph. 14 was also a perfect backup charge, the alt fired 13.5 after burnout.

Full service, Robert. Sell me the motor, and video the launch too.

I am totally posting that in my Cherokee thread.

Last edited:
Sweet, I didn't know there was video!

Yes, AT I366-14 redline. It out performed sim by about 8%.

The RRC3 showed 4645 ft at a max speed of 481mph. 14 was also a perfect backup charge, the alt fired 13.5 after burnout.

Full service, Robert. Sell me the motor, and video the launch too.

I am totally posting that in my Cherokee thread.

Thanks Chris. 481 mph, it definitely moved. Now, time for the Warp 9!!!!!!!! Did I mention I have an H550 Super Thunder???? Perhaps another warm up to the Warp 9...........

Thanks Chris. 481 mph, it definitely moved. Now, time for the Warp 9!!!!!!!! Did I mention I have an H550 Super Thunder???? Perhaps another warm up to the Warp 9...........

I don't think I can dodge the H669 then H999 goodness any longer. My electronics bay looked and worked fine, and that was the only concern with the Warp-9 high acceleration.

Looks like I missed a great launch! Has there been any word on when the launch will be in October?

Looks like I missed a great launch! Has there been any word on when the launch will be in October?

We missed you too Robert. Another fun day in the cow pasture ! I'm sure this will be discussed at the meeting on Saturday. Stay tuned. We will have our model rocket launch in Frisco on the 18th, weather permitting. Any word from the Oklahoma crew ?

We missed you too Robert. Another fun day in the cow pasture ! I'm sure this will be discussed at the meeting on Saturday. Stay tuned. We will have our model rocket launch in Frisco on the 18th, weather permitting. Any word from the Oklahoma crew ?

They're having a club meeting on the 9th of this month. I'm hoping they might have some info on a new launch location. Last I heard they
said they were looking through properties that might be suitable.

They're having a club meeting on the 9th of this month. I'm hoping they might have some info on a new launch location. Last I heard they
said they were looking through properties that might be suitable.

Hopefully they find a good one. The more fields the better.

Looks like the next HP DARS launch in Gunther is on Oct 25.

I was out of town for the Sept launch (by about 10,000 miles!), but unless I have to unexpectedly work that Saturday, I will be there, hopefully with a new RC rocket glider project to test fly.

Hoping for good weather!

The RC rocket glider sounds sweet. What kind of motor do you plan to use? I don't recall ever seeing an AT 32mm motor that was built just for this application so that would be really cool to see. I happened to stumble across this, what a burn time!

[video=youtube;Vt63prSxa68]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt63prSxa68[/video]

The RC rocket glider sounds sweet. What kind of motor do you plan to use? I don't recall ever seeing an AT 32mm motor that was built just for this application so that would be really cool to see. I happened to stumble across this, what a burn time!

[video=youtube;Vt63prSxa68]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt63prSxa68[/video]

I am working on a scaled up version of my free flight Mig-21 BG.

Based on 3" tubing, length is about 36", for 29mm F and Gs

Back