Dallas Area Rocketry Society launches

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DynaSoar

Reaction score
I anticipate other LMR launches planned at both Rockwall and Frisco sites between the HPR launches listed below. Also at new sites presently being negotiated.

See https://www.dars.org for site details and additions as they come up. For all Texas launches, see https://texaslaunchcalendar.org/

DARS* Schedule:

3/12, Frisco TX, 9AM to 3PM, LMR (First flight at new site, hosted by Frisco Parks & Recreation; anticipating up to 200 youngsters flying).

3/19 & 20, McGregor, HPR, 11000' limit, except L3 8000'

3/26, Rockwall, 9AM to 3PM, LMR

4/23 & 24, McGregor, HPR, 11000' limit, except L3 8000'

5/28 & 29, McGregor, HPR, 11000' limit, except L3 8000',
Jim Turner Memorial Launch

6/18 & 19, McGregor, HPR, 11000' limit, except L3 8000'

7/16 & 17, McGregor, HPR, 11000' limit, except L3 8000'

8/27 & 28, Windom, HPR, waiver for 10000' with windows to 23000',
North Texas High Power (NTHP) 27

9/24 & 25, Windom, HPR, waiver for 10000' with windows to 23000'

10/15 & 16, Windom, HPR, waiver for 10000' with windows to 23000'

11/12 & 13, Windom, HPR, waiver for 10000' with windows to 23000'

( * DARS does NOT stand for Dallas Area Rain Schedule)

The DARS 3/12 launch at Frisco is cancelled. Instead we'll be flying at our regular Rockwall site, on 3/13. Still LMR limits. There may still be an outreach launch elsewhere for a youth group on 3/12, still waiting to hear.

Stupid corporate firewalls.... I can't get to DARS website from work.

Where is the Frisco launch field? I'm in Little Elm and would love to attend a launch nearby.

Any idea why it was cancelled?

Originally posted by Jase
Stupid corporate firewalls.... I can't get to DARS website from work.

Where is the Frisco launch field? I'm in Little Elm and would love to attend a launch nearby.

Any idea why it was cancelled?

The Frisco site is Frisco's undeveloped Northwest Community Park.

https://www.ci.frisco.tx.us/P_R/parks/parks_northwest.htm

Apparently its use wasn't finalized. It will be and would have been, but scheduling problems with the individuals involved prevented it. It's still planned for whenever they can get together and shake hands or insurance policies or something.

The youth launch, if it's still held, will be likely be in Las Colinas, in Irving.

Originally posted by DynaSoar
The Frisco site is Frisco's undeveloped Northwest Community Park.

https://www.ci.frisco.tx.us/P_R/parks/parks_northwest.htm

Apparently its use wasn't finalized. It will be and would have been, but scheduling problems with the individuals involved prevented it. It's still planned for whenever they can get together and shake hands or insurance policies or something.

The youth launch, if it's still held, will be likely be in Las Colinas, in Irving.

The LMR launch this weekend has not been cancelled, it has been moved to the Rockwall site and delayed by one day. The use of the Frisco site has not been finalized at this point and I'm informed that will most likely happen in the next two weeks. The launch was moved to Sunday so as not to conflict with the YMCA outreach launch on Saturday. We do not want to split the recourses or work force. Some of us working the outreach would still like to be able to attend the LMR launch.

The YMCA launch was never connected to the LMR launch even though they were both originally scheduled for the same day. It's still being held at the Big Orange Pumpkin Farm in Celina, TX.

Don Magness
NAR Senior Advisor
Dallas Area Rocket Society #308

I reckon one way to get the right info is to post the partial and wrong.

It was one of those confusing situations. I had to ask for clarification my own darn self.

Holy cow!! I live right next to the 423, 720 intersection. Sweet!

Originally posted by Jase
Holy cow!! I live right next to the 423, 720 intersection. Sweet!

I've heard from a couple other folks up that way. Good to know it'll be local to some.

Now if I can just find someplace south and west from midcities, we'll have the place surrounded.

Our HPR launch near McGregor appears to be a go.

Winds will be rotating from south to east to north to northwest and back around east throughout the day, but staying around 5 MPH. 20% chance of rain after noon. Sunday, not so good, but NOAA/NWS is constantly revising the forecast. This is, after all Texas.

Directions to the launch are at https://dars.org/Launches/Index.htm

Due to the needs of the local TARC teams, we will likely have Saturday, and maybe some Sunday launches at our Rockwall site (LMR) from now through April 10.

All loaded an ready to go.

I'm going for those frequent flyer miles.

The little yellow widget on the side of the payload section on the real long one is a safety whistle epoxied to a coupler which is slit down the side and slipped over the payload tube.

If it works, it'll be a "sounding" rocket.

This weekend is the deadline for TARC qualifying flights.

DARS will be set up at the Rockwall site 9AM Saturday for those last minute flyers.

We have two just-for-fun competition events scheduled for our HPR launch at McGregor on 4/23 and 24. C egg loft, using regular NAR rules, but no NAR competition points awarded. And a Cochran warp spot landing. It's scored as a spot landing contest, but with your distance from the target divided by your warp factor. Warp factor is how many power levels above the manufacturer's (must be a kit) maximum recommended motor you put in it. Frinstance, when I fly my Fat Boy (maximum recommended motor is a C) on an F21, I'm flying at warp factor 3, and my spot landing distance is divided by 3. HPR flights are allowed.

The Dallas Area Rain Society will attempt to trick NOAA/NWS into thinking we're not really planning a launch on April 23 and 24, so that they won't make it rain on us.

So, we "won't" be flying at the McGregor site near Waco, which "isn't" within hearing and feeling distance of motor tests from SpaceX, and we "won't" have a ceiling of 11000'. Also not included are some non-NAR-sanction competition events, such as the Cochran warp speed launch spot landing contest. Chad Ellis may or may not be there to sell motors, and Bob Ellis says he's "not" coming to bring me an H275-10 to use in my resurrected Mirage.

Originally posted by DynaSoar
The Dallas Area Rain Society will attempt to trick NOAA/NWS into thinking we're not really planning a launch on April 23 and 24, so that they won't make it rain on us.

So, we "won't" be flying at the McGregor site near Waco, which "isn't" within hearing and feeling distance of motor tests from SpaceX, and we "won't" have a ceiling of 11000'. Also not included are some non-NAR-sanction competition events, such as the Cochran warp speed launch spot landing contest. Chad Ellis may or may not be there to sell motors, and Bob Ellis says he's "not" coming to bring me an H275-10 to use in my resurrected Mirage.

Uh.....I hope you "don't" have a good time? :D

It worked!

Looks like we have two good days in a row this weekend.

I am prepare to tear up some atmosphere. We've got HPR flyers coming from all over.

The cool thing about McGregor is their fire daprtment comes out and does a BBQ to raise money and get out of the house. We get cheap lunch, they get funds for the department, and everybody gets fresh air.

The DARS Father's Day launch will be June 18 and 19 at the McGregor site. As always, see the first post in the thread and dars.org for details.

Latest posts

Back