DARS HP Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I needed to take 5 seconds off my DMS I140 to take it to 9 seconds for my ancient Aquila rocket with the universal drilling tool, not 4 or 6, so I did the last second freehand. Somehow the AT delay elves and the hand drilling tweak all worked out and I got a chute very close to apogee and right at 9 seconds

The old model is going to get a bit of a refinish after the minor repairs from whacking down on the taxiway.

For my RMS tool and UDD tool, I used a piece of 26 gauge (i think) sheet metal to make a +1 second spacer. If it's not 26 ga, it's whatever is half the thickness of the +2s washer AT provides.

This is useful for those rockets that don't have altimter bays.

I've reached a point where I am way more comfortable with altimeter deploy than motor deploy. Largely because I don't have to have an accurate sim and take off just the right amount to get the delay I want. It just feels at this point like less to go wrong relying on the altimeter. I understand this is exactly opposite of many people's feelings.

I've given this much thought and generally agree. The only trouble is having rockets that readily accept an altimeter. If you designed them that way from the beginning then no big deal. But for pretty much the dozen or so rockets I have aside from the 6 fin rocket you guys saw, it's just not the case. I do plan to retrofit some of them but for others it will be motor ejection until, well, the end....

I've given this much thought and generally agree. The only trouble is having rockets that readily accept an altimeter. If you designed them that way from the beginning then no big deal. But for pretty much the dozen or so rockets I have aside from the 6 fin rocket you guys saw, it's just not the case. I do plan to retrofit some of them but for others it will be motor ejection until, well, the end....

Understand completely. A practical electronics bay is definitely easier to incorporate in the beginning than retro fit later on. Can't walk away from the classics, by all means let them fly as "nature" intended, until, as you say, "the end..."

Anyone using any sort of 'modular' quick install/uninstall setup for their altimeters like I've seen with the 3D printed stuff?

Oh, and:

[video=youtube;JSUIQgEVDM4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSUIQgEVDM4[/video]

Back