DARS HP Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going and I don't have a lot to do, just a quick ground test. I am NAR and TRA L2 just let me know if I can help.

I'm still going. NAR L2. I don't know how busy I will be yet since I have a few items I would like to accomplish.

I'm going and I'm NAR L2. I don't know how much I'll be launching, but I can certainly witness at least one L2 if need be.

THANKS!!!!

Finished my L2 build yesterday ~ went with silver chrome fins ~ should make it easier to spot:

Ok, I need a bit of help. I had a brain fade on my collection of Aerotech cases. I do not have a non hobby line 29mm 120 case for the G25s I just got from Pyrobob. Argh.

And I have a nice new rocket glider that I NEED to launch.

Anyone going to Hearne have a 29-120 case I could borrow? I have closures.

I have one.
Ok, I need a bit of help. I had a brain fade on my collection of Aerotech cases. I do not have a non hobby line 29mm 120 case for the G25s I just got from Pyrobob. Argh.

And I have a nice new rocket glider that I NEED to launch.

Anyone going to Hearne have a 29-120 case I could borrow? I have closures.

I think the DARS stash may include a 120. Is anybody bringing that stash with them?

Finished loading up 3 for this weekend.

3" Fav'rit 2B on a J500G
2.6" PAC-3 on an H115DM
2.6" Cherokee-I on a J570W

The Cherokee-I is trying to earn a name change. It sims to 6400 ft and Mach 1.06.

I am so ready for this launch.

image.jpg

Dang, that 1080 case really didn't leave a lot of room for recovery items... Just go streamer and you'll be fine :).

Well, our plans for this week and weekend ran into some turbulence the last few days with my wife getting sick :(. Hellacious pandemonium ensued considering my 2 year old prefers mommy over me and despite my best efforts, my youngest couldn't be persuaded otherwise :facepalm:. Then, I start feeling bad. Then our college friend and her girls in from out of town who were depending on us had to go with plan B. It's been very disappointing.

This time yesterday things weren't looking good at all. However, it appears I've been spared and to my surprise everybody seems to be okay and mostly back to normal. Unless a black hole opens up it looks like I'll be in Hearne with my dad tomorrow! I'm thinking we'll arrive around 9:30 ish.

I spoke to Tom the other day and we plan to setup next to him in his red mini-van so if there are other DARS members that want to setup close by just look for Tom's red van. Sounds like he'll be there plenty early to scout out a good spot.

I plan at least 2 flights and perhaps 4. I need to drill 6 holes in my scratch 4", remount the altimeter, test my charge continuity, and settle on a DD recovery layout using my stash. Oh yes, I need to pick a motor. I've never had so many options before :). It's been quite a while since I've flown so I'll be rusty but it should be fun.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Dang, that 1080 case really didn't leave a lot of room for recovery items... Just go streamer and you'll be fine :).

There is a SkyFlash streamer and most of the shock cord along the motor case. A 12" drogue sitting on the top of the case, and a 36" main wrapped in a nomex/cable cutter burrito on top. Also, an RRC3 in the eBay, and an EggFinder and LiPo in the NC. Absolutely no room left in that thing. I even used my plugged and threaded forward closure because it is 1/3" shorter than a normal plugged closure. I needed a 16 sec delay, so just altimeter controlled deploy on this one.

Glad you are going to make it. Sorry the family got turned up side down and shook though. I'll try to squeeze in to DARS row too.

Last edited:
What time are folks planning on getting to Hearne? What is the flight window?

I am aiming for between 8:30-9 arrival. Launch window is listed on their website as 9-5. There is a $10 range fee.

I am aiming for between 8:30-9 arrival. Launch window is listed on their website as 9-5. There is a $10 range fee.

Anyone have a JollyLogic 2 I can fly with tomorrow? Mine is not charging for some reason. Shouldn't have waited until tonight to charge I guess.

I'll prolly get there around 11 - Way up north here in Plano. I'll see ya there Cl(VII) -- I really want to see you fly the Cherokee ++Mach! If I miss it - good luck!!

It was good to see so many of the fine folks of DARS at Hearne today!

I hope y'all had a great time and please come back!

Greg

Greg

A great time was indeed had, thanks for being so welcoming. The K1000 was worth the drive alone...the launch part, not the grass fire part.

Sorry I missed the Hearne launch, sounds like it was a lot of fun. I did make the DARS meeting today and believe it or not we have a HPR launch tentatively scheduled for August 29-30 with a 10k waiver in Corsicana. Keep your fingers crossed, I REALLY need to fly!

Sorry I missed the Hearne launch, sounds like it was a lot of fun. I did make the DARS meeting today and believe it or not we have a HPR launch tentatively scheduled for August 29-30 with a 10k waiver in Corsicana. Keep your fingers crossed, I REALLY need to fly!

Holy smokes!!!!! Before I get too far ahead of myself can someone please confirm I'm not in outright denial and that this doesn't really say "All High Power Rocketry is forever forbidden in North Texas?"

Had a GREAT time in Hearne! After working on my fire fighting skills I had a successful L2 cert flight. Thanks to Cl(VII) and robertv2 (Chris and Robert) for taking (a lot of) time out for their trip to sponsor. Really appreciated that guys! Sorry Chris, that was heartbreaking to hear a hard landing on the tarmac inflicted massive damage to your Cherokee - she was (will be) a beautiful (re)build!!!

Congrats Samb on your L2 as well.

Hope to have some pix up later today.

I want to thank the friendly folks of Tripoli Houston for the great launch and for the very warm welcome they gave us DARS refugees that were suffering from a lack of launch!

Had a great time and nearly everything I launched worked as planned....;)

If anyone got any pictures or videos of my rocket glider flights, please contact me. Would like to get copies to document some of the construction threads, as my normal photographer was not able to make the trip.

Pyrobob got a video of the X-15 for me and I thank him for that.

Was great to see Robert get to fly instead of vend and he had several awesome flights. A good way for him to spend his birthday!

Great news about the planned Corsicana launch at the end of August! My birthday is Aug 30 and my plan now is to celebrate it by getting my L2 there.

Last edited:
Holy smokes!!!!! Before I get too far ahead of myself can someone please confirm I'm not in outright denial and that this doesn't really say "All High Power Rocketry is forever forbidden in North Texas?"

I guess I was a little confused at the meeting, sorry Bob. What Jack actually said was All High Power Rocketry is forever forbidden in North Texas :wink:

On a serious note, looks like I'll finally be ordering some motors, LOTS OF MOTORS!!!

Had a GREAT time in Hearne! After working on my fire fighting skills I had a successful L2 cert flight. Thanks to Cl(VII) and robertv2 (Chris and Robert) for taking (a lot of) time out for their trip to sponsor. Really appreciated that guys! Sorry Chris, that was heartbreaking to hear a hard landing on the tarmac inflicted massive damage to your Cherokee - she was (will be) a beautiful (re)build!!!

Congrats Samb on your L2 as well.

Hope to have some pix up later today.

No problem on the cert witness. Glad to do it. Closer inspection showed there was no structural damage to the Cherokee, just some cosmetic stuff that will be pretty straight forward to fix. The EggFinder even came back on and connected after it had a rest. This means I can now reclassify my construction technique from "overbuilding" to "tarmac resistent". Glad the it was under main when it hit. That rocket could survive most drogue landings, but not on concrete.

I want to thank the friendly folks of Tripoli Houston for the great launch and for the very warm welcome they gave us DARS refugees that were suffering from a lack of launch!

Had a great time and nearly everything I launched worked as planned....;)

If anyone got any pictures or videos of my rocket glider flights, please contact me. Would like to get copies to document some of the construction threads, as my normal photographer was not able to make the trip.

Pyrobob got a video of the X-15 for me and I thank him for that.

Was great to see Robert get to fly instead of vend and he had several awesome flights. A good way for him to spend his birthday!

Great news about the planned Corsicana launch at the end of August! My birthday is Aug 30 and my plan now is to celebrate it by getting my L2 there.

The Tripoli Houston Facebook page has a whole lotta photos of a great 7-11 day in Texas. For example:

Tom in the shade.jpg

The Tripoli-Houston Yahoo group has some as well (but I didn't see your smiling face there).

Last edited:

Greg

A great time was indeed had, thanks for being so welcoming.

Had a GREAT time in Hearne! ...

I want to thank the friendly folks of Tripoli Houston for the great launch and for the very warm welcome they gave us DARS refugees that were suffering from a lack of launch! ...

I'll just pile on here and say I had a great time flyin' "down south" yesterday. Great to see the Hearne crew and fly on a pretty spectacular day in the Texas sunshine (with some timely cloud cover during my walk home with the Doorknob). Thanks Cl(VII) for the timely suggestions and also robertv2 for the L2 love. Thanks to serpico for videography and moral support during recovery.

Setting the direction (600x800).jpg

Question: What are you guys using to disconnect the wires from your altimeter terminal blocks? JST's? XYZ's?

Chris' rocket on a J-500 Mojave Green:

[video=youtube;vFvJHKVZ8jw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFvJHKVZ8jw[/video]

Tom's X15:

[video=youtube;fpt6Ck49zDk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpt6Ck49zDk[/video]

Most excellent!

Back