D12 in slow motion on youtube

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, that's cool. But what do you mean by supersonic jet core?

Wow, that's cool. But what do you mean by supersonic jet core?

By supersonic jet core, I mean the center plume core where the gases reach supersonic speed; typically this supersonic jet core in 18mm BP rocket motors is on the order of 3.-.4 " in diameter ; look towards the end of the burn right before the exhaust plume flames out; you will see a small diameter 2-3" length exhaust plume....

An exhaust plume is sorta like an elongated teardrop shaped onion: its has layers to it; the inner layers have the higher temperatures and speeds; I've seen some c6 plume photos where the supersonic core was clocked at 636 m/s !

The exhaust plume becomes subsonic on the outer layers about 2-4" from the exhaust exit plane as it mixes with the surrounding air.

hth

terry dean

ps I'm sure the more educated members here can give a better scientific answer.

Hey everybody, take a look at this slo-mo video of an estes D12:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxuDT1yewYQ

you can clearly see the supersonic jet core

prety cool huh?

terry dean

I was hoping this would be with one of the new Casio (?) cameras with the 1000 or so FPS speed. Instead this was just a normal 30FPS video, but with each frame dissolved into the next, slowly. Still, it is nicely done.

Back