D Region Tomahawk

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Nokes

Reaction score
Hello ALL,
I hope to get a little advice

Several years back, at least 18 years, I built a scale D region Tomahawk from a kit. The thing is, I would like another of the kit but i cannot remember the kits maker.
It is about 1 Inch Diameter and roughly a little more than 2 ft long. What's unique about it is it is designed using different size motor mounts that friction fit it to each other. It accepts from the small B and C motors and then can be removed to use a D Motor. Then this adaptor can be remover for using a motor that's basically the diameter of the rocket. So there are three sizes it can take all told.
Would anybody know the maker of the kit and if it is still in production. It is streamer recovered.

Thank you

There are many D Tomahawk kits.

1inch is about 25mm so probably had a min dia 24mm motor mount.. That would also put the length around 24inchs.
Many kits for 24mm motors also come with a 18 to 24mm adapter or can be purchased separately.

Estes produced a D-Region Tomahawk based on a BT-60 (1.637" OD)(#1944), and another (#2037) that used a 1.8" OD body tube.

I wish they would bring back the 1.8 diameter D-Region with the plastic fins. I've been looking for one and they are as hard to find as an Ascender kit.

I really am surprised Estes hasn't released some sort of Sandhawk or Tomahawk in the pro series.

-Bob

I wish they would bring back the 1.8 diameter D-Region with the plastic fins. I've been looking for one and they are as hard to find as an Ascender kit.

I really am surprised Estes hasn't released some sort of Sandhawk or Tomahawk in the pro series.

-Bob
The 1.8" D Region Tomahawk used a unique HBT-1800 tube.
Very difficult Impossible to find now.

-Bob

You can piece together the essential elements of an Ascender with the NC and body tubes still available from Estes and the 2inch boosters that are available from most Estes retailers. The latter includes 29mm MMT and screw retainer. Add your preferred quality recovery gear.

You may find some kits popping up on EBay occasionally (at outrageous prices), but I was talking about the tube.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/trouble-locating-parts.150978/#post-1860511
So what would be a fair price for a kit (D-Region Tomahawk 1.8") in an unopened bag? I came into one last fall from a gentleman leaving the hobby and don't have any plans for it myself. Not sure if I donate it to the next raffle event or sell it with the idea that someone that buys it would probably put in the time/effort to do it justice.

Last edited:
This one? :p

Don't know if it's real, current or valid, but it's listed as in stock for $43.

As kuririn noted, there is high probability that Science Lab Supplies is a scam site. They have a large number of decade+ out-of-production kits listed in stock. Their address maps to a small tin shack in nowheresville, Texas.

Recommend steering clear.

ASP-Rocketry has a real nice mid-power D Region Tomahawk, 1.89” diameter available.

Estes does have the BT-65 body tube (1.8 diameter) but I don't want to scratch one out. Are the booster fins the same shape as the Ascender. I've been told they are not.

I don't want to pay over 50 bucks for one and I have seen them close to that but I see them too late. Oh, and one fella on facebook wouldn't take a postal money order as payment. Right now I'm broke. Three weeks ago the hot water heater split open at the seam and we had to buy a new fridge Thursday. Scared to think of what's next...

-Bob

Are the booster fins the same shape as the Ascender. I've been told they are not.

The instructions for the Ascender show the fins with the more swept edge set up as the trailing edge.
The instructions for the Booster 2 inch show the fins with the more swept edge set up as the leading edge.
Other than that, they appear to be the same parts. It would be really weird if they tooled different molds to make parts that look almost identical but not quite. I don't believe there's anything that would prevent one from installing the Booster fins "backward" to match the Ascender.

https://estesrockets.com/wp-content/uploads/Instructions/009752.pdf
https://estesrockets.com/wp-content/uploads/Instructions/009706_ASCENDER.pdf

-Bob
Seems unlikely they'd re-release the D-Region anytime soon, Estes was blowing them out direct from their website back in 2013, apparently it didn't sell as well as they had hoped: EstesOrder2013.png

FYI, the Estes D-Region Tomahawk fins are good to supersonic. We had a club contest several years ago, and one can fit a J in the Estes kit, went 10kft [J410] and 12kft [J570].

-Bob
Estes did release the Pro Series Terrier/Sandhawk (2083) back in the 90s.

However, the injection molded parts (at least for me) left a lot to be desired. If they re-release the kit, I'd hope they'd redo the body tube related plastic parts (the nosecone/payload section, and the fin can) in a blow molded format.

If you search long enough, and hard enough, oop kits can show up in a local hobby store at a non-inflated price. Rare, but it does happen. Admittedly I've been lucky in that regard (I seem to keep using up my allotted luck supply in this way, which is probably why I never score on a big lottery jackpot). An Estes Partizon (which I promptly snagged) showed up at a local shop in 2020...

Last edited:
Back