D Region Tomahawk markings.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeltaVee

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So I have a question regarding the decals that are in the estes D Region Tomahawk kits... I got curious about this as I was building my own 2037 D-Region Tomahawk, and found another thread about this subject here with a link to a June '71 article by Howard Kuhn with complete scale data on it:

https://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ModelRocketry/Model_Rocketry_v03n08_06-71.pdf
In particular this item struck me (screen grab from the article):

drt.JPG

In particular, note the highlighted text. The other photos of it (with left and right) views show no markings whatsoever. The reason I ask is that while somewhere in my very disorganized workspace, there is a small, sealed plastic bag containing the dang decals... which for the life of me I cannot locate! I may have even accidentally thrown them out... I'm about to turn my workspace totally inside out in search of them, but if what the caption on the photo in this article is true... who needs 'em!!! :)

I'm utterly flummoxed I could have done such a thing but I can't for the life of me figure out what I did with them....
I'm hoping @Ez2cDave in particular might have the definitive answer...

I guess the only good news is that even if I find them a year from now, I could still apply them!

The decal sheet on JimZ page appears to be the red/brown painted sections of the rocket. I don't think there are any markings. The "Thiokol" logo doesn't seem to be in the photos of the real round, despite the Estes instructions showing applying it near the fin area. I build a CMR D-Region kit, and there were no decals in that kit.

The decal sheet on JimZ page appears to be the red/brown painted sections of the rocket. I don't think there are any markings. The "Thiokol" logo doesn't seem to be in the photos of the real round, despite the Estes instructions showing applying it near the fin area. I build a CMR D-Region kit, and there were no decals in that kit.
Well at least now I don't feel so bad!

Hmmn, well Estes included a data plate decal and the Thikol decal. They're on my rocket now so hmmn...

-Bob

Wellllll..... so when I lost the decals for the DRT, I was working on both it and my new Great Goblin. I got access to a laser cutter and now I have plywood fins/rings for the GG... also that dang estes rubber band shock cord that it comes with (this is a pro series 2 kit?!?!?!?) is going straight to the trash. However when I dug out the launch lugs out of the GG, the bag containing them had the tri fold shock cord mount in among them... then I saw in the larger parts bag ANOTHER tri fold shock cord mount in a separate little bag... and guess what else was in that bag... It's always in the last place you look...

Of course now I have to decide if I'm going to use them or not!!

Last edited:
For what it's worth, my D-Region tomahawk drawing was pretty much based on that old Model Rocketry Magazine article and drawing. The old Estes BT-60 kit included a nameplate decal that was actually based on the title block of the drawing in Model Rocketry Magazine, and not on the actual rocket.

In the years since, I have come across some other photos of the D-Region, and since I recently discovered that I can check out a portable wifi hotspot from the library, I can miraculously show them to you.

Attachments

• Tomahawk D Region NASA W 68-22.jpeg
    Tomahawk D Region NASA W 68-22.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Tomahawk D Region NASA W 68-43.jpeg
    Tomahawk D Region NASA W 68-43.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 2
  • D-Region-Tomahawk.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 3
For what it's worth, my D-Region tomahawk drawing was pretty much based on that old Model Rocketry Magazine article and drawing. The old Estes BT-60 kit included a nameplate decal that was actually based on the title block of the drawing in Model Rocketry Magazine, and not on the actual rocket.

In the years since, I have come across some other photos of the D-Region, and since I recently discovered that I can check out a portable wifi hotspot from the library, I can miraculously show them to you.

Thank you for these shots, Peter!

Thank you Peter because that first picture clears up another problem I thought I had with mine. The referenced drawing states that the trailing edge of the fins are painted red. I didn't do that when I painted mine but that picture shows only the red fin has a red trailing edge

-Bob

Thank you Peter because that first picture clears up another problem I thought I had with mine. The referenced drawing states that the trailing edge of the fins are painted red. I didn't do that when I painted mine but that picture shows only the red fin has a red trailing edge

-Bob

Back