Currell Graphics N-1 Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oleg and Alexei express their gratitude

I'm not sure if those guys are really sincere...they're both just so....two dimensional!

Good job on the N-1.

My Little Brother has been working on his but had to take it with him back to Texas.

Haven't heard from him in a few.

Well he accepted a medal, without the medal- so here's the HIGH FLYING CARDS CARDED ROCKETRY EXCELLENCE MEDAL! :D
Nice Job Jason! (he got a bigger version than I cold post here)lol :)
Eric:)

Originally posted by sandman

I'm not sure if those guys are really sincere...they're both just so....two dimensional!

Sandman, they are not two dimensional -- they're just "focused" !!!! :) ;)

Originally posted by Eric/VAl
Well he accepted a medal, without the medal- so here's the HIGH FLYING CARDS CARDED ROCKETRY EXCELLENCE MEDAL! :D
Nice Job Jason! (he got a bigger version than I cold post here)lol :)

Eric, Thanks for the medal! I'll be sure Oleg and Alexei get their own versions of it.

I know that Ralph Currell, the Great Powerful Chief Designer, has seen this thread so if he's still lurking I just want to say publicly that I'm a big fan of his plans. My first card model rocket conversion was his Spaceship One. He's got lot of great plans at his website SO CHECK THEM OUT!

Jason

Originally posted by jjnodice
I know that Ralph Currell, the Great Powerful Chief Designer, has seen this thread so if he's still lurking I just want to say publicly that I'm a big fan of his plans.

Don't just thank him here.

Go to his site and leave a message in the guestbook.

I left him a message when I converted the RTV-9 to a flying model.

I got a nice email back and I sent him a few pictures of the model.

Originally posted by BobH48
Don't just thank him here.

Go to his site and leave a message in the guestbook.

I left him a message when I converted the RTV-9 to a flying model.

I got a nice email back and I sent him a few pictures of the model.

Hi Bob...I had emailed Ralph already and pointed him to this thread. He sent a really nice email back and said he was impressed with the rocket community's skills in taking his designs and making them fly. That's how I knew he was lurking.

Bob's point is a very good one, if you build from plans it's always a nice thing to let the designer know the plans are valued and appreciated...It might just even encourage more plans!!! ;)

Jason

As someone who puts card model rockets out there for free, and I am working on another site, I cannot begin to tell you the satisfaction received form an email form someone- ANYONE! To build a static model with instructions, can take weeks. The REGULUS-2 took me 2 months. The SCUD missile- 2 weeks to make a beta, another month of R/D, and then anothr 1.5 months for final design/instructions. All comments, good or bad, helps me to know what does/does not work. The only e-mails I get about my designs, are form other designers. That is great in of itself, many of them, the name familiar to you card builders here, and I have become good E-pals, and work together sometimes, or just B.S.:) Sadly, I have yet to hear back form anyone who has built a HIGH FLYING CARDS rocket kit, just to build it, and I have heard form no-one, except one beta tester about how they fly! :( SERIOULSY! The most I've heard, is from one well known model rocket person, and all he said was that he had bult and flown a few of my designs. When I worte back toask which, and how they did.... ZIP! Just static. It is hard to know what to fix, change, improve, or make other things similar to what does work.:( When you write a designer, any designer, the main and biggest satisfation we get, is from your own satisfaction with us!
So Please write if you have ANYTHING to say, to any of us. You help yourselves when you help us! :)

HEY JJ
nice one,
it all worked ok then ?
i just glanced over to my N1 sat next to my tv and a wave of sadness came over me,that will sit there forever never to grace the skies (unless i actualy get into launching stuff rather than just putting em together)
ive got a couple of ss1's here as well,the test config and 2 of the x prize versions,1 in launch config and 1 in feather mode,
i also scaled the test version up quite a bit into a seriously big "top of tv"version,
havn't got it anymore,but they are nice models to make,
JASON..(JJ-UK)

Originally posted by skan 32
HEY JJ
nice one,
it all worked ok then ?
i just glanced over to my N1 sat next to my tv and a wave of sadness came over me,that will sit there forever never to grace the skies (unless i actualy get into launching stuff rather than just putting em together)
ive got a couple of ss1's here as well,the test config and 2 of the x prize versions,1 in launch config and 1 in feather mode,
i also scaled the test version up quite a bit into a seriously big "top of tv"version,
havn't got it anymore,but they are nice models to make,
JASON..(JJ-UK)

Hey JJ-UK,

Yup, Pyro Pro said it well -- it flew and it didn't break!

Don't be so hard on your N-1! Your pics looked great and I am sure it makes a fine "top of tv" decoration! :cool: :D It's made a great coffee table decoration at my house from time to time... :p

I'm trying to figure out where to put mine long term. It's too big to go where I keep a few rockets. It may just have to hang out in the closet with my Estes Saturn V.

When you posted to this thread I was really glad to hear you had built an N-1. You posted your pics at a great time for me. It helped keep me going.

Hey hokkyokusei,

Thanks for the compliment!

JJ-USA

Originally posted by jjnodice
I'm trying to figure out where to put mine long term. It's too big to go where I keep a few rockets. It may just have to hang out in the closet with my Estes Saturn V. [Snip]
No way!!!! You need to redecorate your living room and place both the Saturn V and N-1 in a premiere location... :)

Originally posted by Mike_BAR
No way!!!! You need to redecorate your living room and place both the Saturn V and N-1 in a premiere location... :)

Mike,

My wife is tolerant...but not that tolerant! :) For now it will probably temporarily go in the closet. :(

We don't have children yet and she often tells me -- "you need a son so you could "decorate" his room with rockets".

We are planning to adopt from Russia, so part of me building Russian rockets is so that I can someday "decorate" his room with them...I have a 1/144 scale Proton and will probably do a 1/144 R-7 Vostok to go along with the others...

We had planned to adopt this summer but it hasn't happened yet and our timetable is uncertain. The reasons are a LONG story...Every day is a roller coaster. Hopefully someday I will get to post some amazing pics in the Coffee House about our future trips to Russia to get our son and our visit to Memorial Museum of Cosmonautics in Moscow...

So now you know the untold story why I built the N-1!

Jason

Jason,
I sort of assumed there was a "better-half" voting for the closet. :(

I wish you the best of luck with your adoption plans, and I look forward to reading more news in The Coffee House.

Sincerely,
Michael O'Malley

The second flight of the N-1 occurred today. It was on a C11-3. Another perfectly straight boost. The N-1 seemed to hang in mid air just prior to the ejection. It was really cool looking. The C11-3 gives it a nice slow push. Very scale like.

Here is the ignition:

I've been using a digital camera on a tri-pod to take MPEG movies of my launches. It's great for getting the liftoffs. The draw back is anything of interest that goes on outside of the field of view gets missed.

This flight was on a windy day, I waited for a lull to launch it. When the parachute deployed the wind carried the N-1 down range a bit. I REALLY wanted to catch it to avoid any nasty encounter with the ground so I ran after it...

Well...The pic speaks for itself...

I made a perfect catch downrange. Unfortunately the catch was outside the FOV of the camera.

The N-1 is safe and ready for another day of flying.

My wife came with me today. After my run and catch she said, "Nice sprint, a perfect 10!"....:D

I'm really stoked this thing flies so nicely.

I will try a D12-3 someday. It should give it a lot more altitude...

Nice form on the running, Jason. Can you play WR? My Ravens can always use a deep threat! :D

I am making up my list of winter projects [the Sandman LJII and Soyuz for openers] but the N-1 looks like it might be added. Very nice model!

Jason,

Nice launch pics. Recovery shots too. ;)

It's on my list of rockets to build if I ever get free time to do it.

It looks like it was worth the effort involved in contruction.

Keep up the good work.

Originally posted by Rocketcrab
Nice form on the running, Jason. Can you play WR? My Ravens can always use a deep threat! :D

I am making up my list of winter projects [the Sandman LJII and Soyuz for openers] but the N-1 looks like it might be added. Very nice model!

Rocketcrab,

I'm not partial to the Ravens, but I'll try to catch anything they throw at me if they gave me a big enough signing bonus!

Think about how much card stock I could buy after a year playing in the NFL??? Alright, now I am getting too silly...:kill:

Seriously, the last time I played "touch" football I got a little too crazy and cracked a rib as I dove for the ball...That was back in June. I'm back to full speed! From now on I'll stick to chasing down rockets...

Jason

Originally posted by BobH48
Jason,

Nice launch pics. Recovery shots too. ;)

It's on my list of rockets to build if I ever get free time to do it.

It looks like it was worth the effort involved in contruction.

Keep up the good work.

Bob,

The last time I flew I used two cameras at different angles, but didn't today. I'm sure the picture of "the catch" would have been great. I would have given Willy Mays a run for his money today!

Jason

Today was flight #3. This time on a D12-3. I flew from my backup school field because the prime school field was locked down/barricaded for the holidays!

Here it is on the pad.

Here's the launch pic. The video is cool, because left of the pad you can see the shadow of the N-1 rising. Very cool...

The D12-3 was a good motor choice. Definitely more altitude than the C11. It's a wash as to my favorite. It might be fun to try this on an E9 sometime!

The winds carried the N-1 downrange to a landing almost on top of a storage shed. Fortunately, it landed just short of it!!! That was a lucky escape.

After touchdown, the winds manage to re-inflate the chute. The N-1 got drug along the ground for about 15 feet before I could reach it.

There was some cosmetic damage to the tower and 3rd stage, mainly dirt stains that easily came off with a moist paper towel.

The third stage loosened from the 2nd stage during the dragging. I could not fly it again until that got fixed.

Right now I am thinking that the N-1 made it's final flight today...Depends how well the repairs go. It's in great shape for display -- it just needs a little TLC for another flight.

It's been so much fun going through this build and the three flights!

Very nice! That pic with the shadow is very cool. Thanks for the update, and Merry Christmas!

Originally posted by Rocketcrab
Very nice! That pic with the shadow is very cool. Thanks for the update, and Merry Christmas!

Thanks Rocketcrab!

Here's one frame later (1/30th of second)...You can see the shadow has moved some...

And here it is ~4 frames later. You can just see the shadow about the leave the track...Still moving straight, too!

Back