Currell Graphics N-1 Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by vcp
Funny thing about it is that I have never called it "Visual Center of Pressure"; people just assumed...

GC

Hmmm...I got the name from this link. I assumed it was your site. I am sorry about spreading confusion.

https://v-serv.com/vcp/

So what does VCP stand for? Virtual Center of Pressure?

Thanks for putting together a great program. It's really been helpful to me and I'm sure many others.

Jason

The truth, never before revealed:

At the time I was working on a project that used an inmos transputer processor. A feature of that processor was the "Virtual Command Processor". VCP

It just sounded catchy, so thats what I used - the first version of VCP didn't do anything 'visual' at all.

GC

BTW, I just noticed a local store that has 11x17 card stock, and we have an HP1220C printer here that I think will feed straight thru. Anyone tried scaling up that N1?

GC

Originally posted by vcp
The truth, never before revealed:

At the time I was working on a project that used an inmos transputer processor. A feature of that processor was the "Virtual Command Processor". VCP

It just sounded catchy, so thats what I used - the first version of VCP didn't do anything 'visual' at all.

GC

Originally posted by vcp
BTW, I just noticed a local store that has 11x17 card stock, and we have an HP1220C printer here that I think will feed straight thru. Anyone tried scaling up that N1?

Wow! A mystery solved. Thanks for sharing that. I always assummed the CP stood for center of pressure. Now we know!

I don't have access to an 11x17 printer, so I looked at having Office Depot and Kinko's print out the upscaled sheets. They quoted me over $2.00 a page. The heavy stock and the color print is what drove the price so high. With ~20 pages to print I couldn't justify spending that much $$$ on this project. One of the advantages to card stock models is that they are low cost.

Now if I had access to my own 11x17 I definitely would have upscaled it to match the Estes Saturn V. Several folks have done the 1/100 upscale. Look at the gallery on the Currell website for a couple examples.

In the end I'm happy with the 1/144 scale. It still has some size to it, but still comes in around 6-7 ounces. I'm happy with the weight! Normally I overbuild!

Jason

Well, If you want or have to use 'standard' cardstock, depending on your prociency with printers and possibly making your own tabs to fit parts- You could just use the snapshot tool, to save individual sections, or parts, scale them up to where you want, and just keep repeating it in the same percentage for the whole model.
I have to re-look at it, to see how "I" would do it. I know several folks who are "experts" at it, and one person has already made about a 3ft long version of the REGULUS-2 I just released last week! OI! :D Looks good! If ya'll want, I'm taking a bit of a designing break- I can try to upscale the kit to whatever y'all want :) Sounds like fun! I aint hijacking your thread Jason- we're still having N-1 fun! :D
With near completion of the first phases of design engineering, I reccommend to the poiltburo, that we should begin work on the next logical step of technological advancement and engineering from our Comrade 'hobby' rocket scientists to further glorify the achievements of our People! VCP=very cool program!
Eric :D

Originally posted by Eric/VAl
Well, If you want or have to use 'standard' cardstock, depending on your prociency with printers and possibly making your own tabs to fit parts-

...snip..

With near completion of the first phases of design engineering, I reccommend to the poiltburo, that we should begin work on the next logical step of technological advancement and engineering from our Comrade 'hobby' rocket scientists to further glorify the achievements of our People! VCP=very cool program!
Eric :D

No one is hijacking the thread in my opinion. This is all good stuff.

I looked at using the snapshot funtion in Acrobat Reader to cut and paste the pages and upscale. It looked BAD BAD BAD. I definitely am not proficient in those skills. If I had Adobe Acrobat and could do the scaling there, I bet it would look better.

You crack me up Eric. As this phase of the 5 year plan for conquering the solar system is completed -- I'd be happy to see someone take up the mantle and build a 1/100 scale flying cardstock N-1 to the glory of the Party and TRF. Whoever does it should do it with 30 Estes motors as well. But not me! :D ;) :p Oh wait...That 1/16th beast that is being built more than covers the next phase of the 5 year plan!

This has been lots of fun. But after this I'm going to build a 1:1 clone of the Estes Mosquito! Something quick and easy!

Jason

I was hoping someone could give us the magic upscaling secret for the N-1! I would love to have it to go with my unbuilt Estes Saturn V and my now closer to being unbuilt Saturn 1B, and my unbuilt and barely planned 1/100 Proton-Zond:rolleyes:
Seriously, it would be great to have all the man-rated Moon boosters in one scale.
Jason, your N-1 looks great; can't wait to see flight pics. But I know what you mean about these projects! It's why in the midst of my Energia-Buran project, I have built a few Semroc kits!
Drew

Well, until physics, laws of avverage, Mother Nature, and or any combination or sum total of all the above prove me wrong- I tend to think I can do whatever I want!:D
Let me take a look at that oversized aero rail-road spike, and I'll see what I can do!:)
30 motors OICHININI! UH-UH- If I can't put it in the air for the cost of ink, cardstock, modeling clay, and no more than 2-3 motors- (unless I'm building a hard kit) I aint doing it! That would break the CRR (Cheapskate Redneck Rocketry) code of ethics! :) (what do you expect from a guy who's directions to his house not only include 'turn off the paved road' but also- 'cut through the cemetary'):D
Eric- again:)

Originally posted by dtomko
..snip...
Seriously, it would be great to have all the man-rated Moon boosters in one scale.

Will you have to add a 1/100 Soyuz to your fleet if the tourist flight resurrection of the Zond mission comes true??? ;)

Drew, with the quality of your work that would quite be an impressive fleet to see! We can't wait to see your Buran in action!

Eric...Sounds like you are go for the 1/100th scale "oversized aero rail-road spike"! :D

Well guys I tried. I got up this morning and really tried to shoot the N-1. The weather didn't cooperate. I got to my prime location and got set up. As I set up some weather began to move in. Just as I put the ignitor in the model I felt rain drops start to plop.

It was just a trickle/sprinkle but with a paper model I didn't want to continue. I tried to go to another field a few miles away but it too was drizzling. In other places it was a full up heavy rain. By the time I made it there it was also thundering so I went home.

Oh well. Maybe if it clears I can try later today or tomorrow afternoon.

The cameras were rolling so here's a pic when I realize I had gotten started about 30 minutes too late...

Had a launch Fizzle from Drizzle?
I can relate to that! It took me almost a week waiting before I could actually launch the first final SCUD-C into the air. I have a short movie, and you can see all the clouds. IT began drizzling again, but since this was a TEST model all i needed to know is if it would fly or not. So I told Bunny to just 'PUNCH IT' I have a short movie of it, and you can see rain hitting the camera lense.
It is a good idea to coat the paper ones with a clear spray. I like MATT for scale modles, unless it is something that was made shiny, like a Regulus. I'm not sure about all brands, but if you appy KRYLON type carefully, it actually seems to bring out little drawn details on tha paper an make images much clearer. Art's little 13mm Delta Saucer with the Earth scheme looked absolutely stunning after I added 3-4 coats. Just a thought. :)
Eric:)

Originally posted by rdbones
Andy is documenting the build at www.polecataerospace.com.

Ken Sparks and a gang from Arizona are building a 1/16 scale Saturn V that will be next to the N-1 !!!

Build pics at www.arizonarocketryteam.net

Thanks for posting those links. Humbly nods in respect -- I'm not worthy -- I'm not worthy... :eek:

I've been following the N-1 build. I'm anxious to see some more pics of their progress. :) Keep everyone posted and best wishes to both teams! This is a case where you really can't root for one over the other! After the effort it takes to do that type of build everybody roots for success.

So...Who gets to launch first? Or will they drag race! :eek:

Jason

I flew the N-1 once this morning!

The boost was perfectly straight as an arrow! The CG/CP relationship got nailed! WAHOO!!!

I did have a shock cord burn through so the first stage came in ballistic. It landed on the aft end in tall grass. NO DAMAGE! Other than the shock cord.
The upper stage came in fine.

I'll call this a sucessful flight!

Pics to follow! I'm so psyched!!!!

I was REALLY nervous setting up for this launch. I had to tell myself -- it's just a rocket...

Here it is moments before the launch...

Here's ignition...

Not the best res pic...Flights like this I wish some of the great photographers on this site were around!

As I said before, the boost was arrow straight. It was shocking to see it fly so straight! VCP was 100% CORRECT.

The C11-3 was a good motor choice. The N-1 flew to around 125-150 feet (if I guessed correctly). The model hung in the air for a moment at apogee before the chute deployment.

I opted to go with a single mylar 24" chute rather than recovering the booster and upper stages separately. The shock cord burned through right at the front of the tri-fold paper mount I used. Argh!

Block-A came in ballistic, but the moment of inertia must have been perfect for it come in tail first in some grass. Not so much as a scratch as far as I can tell!

The upper stages gently came down on the chute. The escape tower got crushed somewhat. It can be repaired or replaced easily.

A D12-3 would really be awesome. I'm dissapointed I didn't get to try it But the good news is I WILL ANOTHER DAY!!!!

I have another camera to download pics from, but they'll be worse quality than the ones I've already posted.

So I tried to launch and carry a video camera at the same time. Once the coast phase started I hurredly MEGA zoomed without really paying attention to what the camera was seeing.

For the most part all I got was sky but by luck I managed to get a couple frames of the Block A descent.

The audio portion goes something like this:

"Commmm ONNNN PARACHUTE!!!!!!! <PAUSE> Yuh----OHH NOOOO!!!!"

I really thought I would have crumpled Block A but NO SCRATCHES!

Here's one just after ejection. The resolution is really bad.

Alright guys -- All of you have been great.

This has been a really fun thread for me. Thanks for the messages of encouragement and support along the way. Thanks for answering questions when I've asked them. All of the suggestions and tips have proved valuable to me!

Now all I have to do is fix that shock cord and escape tower and it will be on to more flights!

Oleg and Alexei express their gratitude in support of fulfilling their dream of a lunar mission!

Awesome! It flew!
It didn't break!
You already have a more successful flight than all of the real N1 flights :D
Nice pics too

time for me to build one:p

David

As a representative of the TRF poliburo on paper Soviet design, and servant of the peoples of TRF and paper rocketry, I would like to humbly reccommend to my fellow comrades, and tavarische, that we bestow upon Jason the Medal of "HERO of SOVIET DESIGN CARD ROCKETRY", for outstanding achievement, foritude of charcter, and continual archiving of engeering events during this difficult and tumulutuous(sp) task of engineering for flight, Comrade Ralph's N-1 hobby class rocke t) Please join with me, and in a salute for Comrade Jason, and the begining of the next phase of further engineering for the glory of our Peoples, Paper Rocketry, and TRF....
WAY TO GO DUDE!!! You're a real ROCK-et-ROLLER NOW!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOHHOOOOO!
Eric:)

Alright!! It flew!!

Now it's a real rocket and not just a model.

Congratulations on the successful flight. I have been anticipating this moment since this thread started.

Now I have to make one for myself. I have been off doing a few conventional model rocket projects so this should gear me up for a paper rocket project.

Thanks comrades! I really appreciate the kind words!

Eric, I humbly accept the medal you've bestowed to me! I'm glad to have done the people and the TRF community proud! I dedicate it to all the card modellers striving for rocketry utopia! ;) :rolleyes:

You know what? I was looking at my pics (on my computer) and I printed out the sheets for this project exactly 3 months ago today on May 20. What a fun project this has been! It definitely pushed my skills in new directions.

This project ranks with my Estes Saturn V in terms of satisfaction. It may even surpass it! Seeing that N-1 leap off the pad really was a great feeling.

Bob, you're definitely right about the N-1 now being a real rocket and not just a model. I look at it very differently now that it is a flight veteran. I KNOW it works and no longer have that element of fear that it would fail.

Next I need to work on an EMRR report for this project. Then it's on to Eric's Dust Mite -- not an Estes Mosquito -- and carded Top Secret. I've wanted to build one of his carded rockets for a while. He's been pretty patient with me while I was preoccupied with the N-1.

Jason

Back