Currell Graphics N-1 Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
o yup very cool a freind of mine has made one allready I have it on my computer somewere but have run out of colour ink so ill have to wait :)

Originally posted by Pyro Pro
Awesome pictures and video.

I really need to make one of these

Originally posted by Chrisn
o yup very cool a freind of mine has made one allready I have it on my computer somewere but have run out of colour ink so ill have to wait :)

Thanks Chrisn & Pyro Pro.

Welcome to TRF Chrisn. Hope you get some ink and can start building one soon. Keep us posted if you do...

Jason

Originally posted by Mike_BAR
No way!!!! You need to redecorate your living room and place both the Saturn V and N-1 in a premiere location... :)

Hey Mike,

It's been a long time since you posted this, but I found a good place to put the N-1. It's in my son's room on a shelf we put up along one of the walls. There's no risk of little hands getting it for a while, and when he does get tall enough to reach I'm sure he have learned to "respect the N-1".

Anyway, here's a pic of the N-1 and his friend the Proton Zond sitting proudly on the shelf. Notice that there is plenty of room for other rockets...heh heh heh...
I'm getting an itch to do a 1/144th scale Saturn V to stand next to the N-1. That's a ways away at this point.

Jason

n1_onshelf.jpg

I recently ordered the book "The Soviet Reach for Moon" by Nicholas L. Johnson. It's a pretty definitive book on the N-1 and the Soviet lunar program. It is long out of print and pretty rare. I got it from an amazon.com reseller.

I paid way more than I usually do for these types of books, but it was worth it to an N-1 maniac like myself. Lots of nice pictures, tables, and diagrams. It would have come in handy last year when I was building the N-1. Most of the information is on the web (along with many of the pictures), but I just like having a book.

There was a big surprise when I got the book, which may help explain the price. It was autographed. The inscription said in English "With best wishes." The rest was in Russian. It was easy to make out "Salyut-7 Soyuz T-5/T-7". I couldn't read the signature, but a quick look at another book "Soyuz: A Universal Spacecraft" showed that the signature was Anotoli Berezovoy's. He flew onboard Soyuz T-5 on the first mission to the Salyut-7 space station. He returned to earth on Soyuz T-7 after spending 106 days in space. Pretty cool!

I didn't know where to post my story about the book and decided the N-1 fans on this old thread might appreciate it. Anyway, that's my update on the N-1.

Jason

Originally posted by jjnodice
Hey Mike,
It's been a long time since you posted this, but I found a good place to put the N-1. [Snip]
I'm getting an itch to do a 1/144th scale Saturn V to stand next to the N-1.
Hi Jason,

I love the shelf on the wainscoting, and I noticed all the room for future builds.

Does Jonathan Leslie have a 1:144 scale Saturn V at his website? I know he has a 1:96 version. This model could be scaled down rather easily.

Museum-quality Saturn V, over 4' tall. 1/96 scale

I’ve been lurking here not doing much rocketry, paper or otherwise. Life has gotten in the way of my hobby. :(

I did write an article for our rocket club newsletter: How-to build an 18-mm motor mount from scratch. I’m threatening to start a modified Fat Boy for the Fourth of July, my Patriot Boy. And I'm figuring out how to load my new PICO altimeter in to my Sayonara Paper Tiger.

Great job on the N1 and the rocket display for your growing collection.

Regards,
Mike

Hi Jason,

I love the shelf on the wainscoting, and I noticed all the room for future builds.

Does Jonathan Leslie have a 1:144 scale Saturn V at his website? I know he has a 1:96 version. This model could be scaled down rather easily.

Museum-quality Saturn V, over 4' tall. 1/96 scale

Yup! That's the one and that's the idea. It's easier for me to downscale than to upscale. The 1/144th scale Saturn V will be a nice size for a flying model. I might go nutty and cluster it. I am not anywhere near starting, just marking out space on the shelf, so to speak.

I’ve been lurking here not doing much rocketry, paper or otherwise. Life has gotten in the way of my hobby. :(

I did write an article for our rocket club newsletter: How-to build an 18-mm motor mount from scratch. I’m threatening to start a modified Fat Boy for the Fourth of July, my Patriot Boy. And I'm figuring out how to load my new PICO altimeter in to my Sayonara Paper Tiger.

Great job on the N1 and the rocket display for your growing collection.

Regards,
Mike

Tell me about it. We've been plenty busy the last few months with the adoption finally happening. Now we are just basking in our newfound joy. We got our son just in time for Mother's Day.

Yesterday was my first real launch of the year. I flew a few back in January but spent most of my time that day looking for a lost rocket. It was great to get out yesterday.

Take care,

Jason

Over the last couple weeks I have made some progress in building a cardstock N-1 Rocket from Currell Graphics. I am planning to build it to fly. I've converted a couple of cardstock models to flight and decided I was up for the challenge of this model.

Currell has several great free kits that can be converted to fly.

https://currell.net/models/mod_free.htm

My Friede is a 355% upscale and flys well on a RMS F40 and G64s. Low and slow so you see the entire flight.

FriedeDSC_0206_CR.jpg

Not into paper myself, but really enjoyed this thread. Great job by all the builders.

Cheers, Bruce

Originally posted by hokkyokusei
That's a great launch pic! Do the fins suffer much?

Thank you....
Just got lucky on that one, my photography skills suck.
Actually no, the fins are unharmed. Almost the entire mass of the rocket is in the NC, making the airframe so light that it just sort of floats down. And no scorch marks either, which surprised me.

Originally posted by Pem Tech
Currell has several great free kits that can be converted to fly.

https://currell.net/models/mod_free.htm

My Friede is a 355% upscale and flys well on a RMS F40 and G64s. Low and slow so you see the entire flight.

Nice looking upscale. You'll find fans of the Currell models around here!

Can you describe your upscale process? I only have a standard 8.5x11 printer so I am curious to hear how folks upscale.

I have heard of folks getting the pages printed on standard weight 11x17 paper and pasting it to cardstock. Then there are the lucky folks that can directly print 11x17 cardstock.

Jason

Nice looking upscale. You'll find fans of the Currell models around here!

Can you describe your upscale process? I only have a standard 8.5x11 printer so I am curious to hear how folks upscale.

I have heard of folks getting the pages printed on standard weight 11x17 paper and pasting it to cardstock. Then there are the lucky folks that can directly print 11x17 cardstock.

Jason

Jason,
A correction is in order, the upscale is 275%, resulting in a 5.5" airframe.
DOH!

Anyway, the first part was easy.......
In our state office we had a 36" plotter that no one monitored too closely. I'm a environmental chemist not a graphic artist, but no one screamed about all the paper I used.
:D
The PDF files were printed onto heavy plotter paper at 275% enlargement, the exterior sheets were then rubber cemented to poster board and the rings to foam core. The poster board parts were cut out and assembled as per Currell's directions. A hole for the 29mm motor mount was cut in the two centering rings and the centers of the nose cone sections were removed before assembly. Currell's model allows for a removable nose cone so this is what I did, using a sheet of poster board as a shoulder to hold it in place. A piece of 3/8" dowel was glued across one the openings in the upper sections of the nose cone for a shock cord attachment. Assembling the motor mount was simply a matter of shoving the MM tube into the centering rings and gluing it in place. Motor retention was good old fashion tape. Be sure to seal all the edges of the foam core rings to avoid melting by the ejection gases.
RockSim indicated the need for 7.5 ounces of nose ballast.
And the final model ended up weighing only 15.85oz with 30" chute and shock cord!!!!
She flys great on RMS F40, F52 and G64's.

The good news is that I printed off 40-50 full color paper rockets before I left AR Dept. of Env. Quality. The Bad news is the Department of Health DOESN'T have a plotter. The gooder news is that the graphic artist at my old office is a good friend and will print me even more.

According to Mark Hamilton (the rocketeer not the Jedi), who did a 300% upscale of the Currell V2, print shops can print off B&W upscales on a plotter for a reasonable price. Color, on the other hand, is $15 a square foot I believe.
ouch......

Now that you ask about Friede, I may do an article for EMRR......

Jason,
Anyway, the first part was easy.......
In our state office we had a 36" plotter that no one monitored too closely. I'm a environmental chemist not a graphic artist, but no one screamed about all the paper I used.
:D

Ah Yes...You are one of those types I curse in my sleep. ;) Just kidding. I don't have any access to a printer/plotter like that, so I'm jealous.

According to Mark Hamilton (the rocketeer not the Jedi), who did a 300% upscale of the Currell V2, print shops can print off B&W upscales on a plotter for a reasonable price. Color, on the other hand, is $15 a square foot I believe.
ouch......

I really wanted to do the N-1 in 1/100th scale to match my Estes Saturn V. I checked having it done by Staples/Office Depot (somebody like that). They were going to charge ~$2.00 a sheet for color printing on 11x17 cardstock. The cost of the job would have been >$40.00 and my cheapness settled in so I just did 1/144th scale.

Now that you ask about Friede, I may do an article for EMRR......

Please do! Your work should get documented!

Jason

Originally posted by hokkyokusei
That's a great launch pic! Do the fins suffer much?

Here is a "NASA" shot I happen to get on that same launch. Looks like the air flow around and through the fins protects them.

DSC_0207_CR.jpg

Originally posted by jjnodice, regarding Pem Tech's upscale Friede
Ah Yes...You are one of those types I curse in my sleep. ;) Just kidding. I don't have any access to a printer/plotter like that, so I'm jealous.
Hi Jason,
I'm jealous too.

I used to have access to that color plotter. At the time, I wasn’t a BAR, and didn’t know of paper rockets. :(

Now I have a Canon color laser printer down the hall at work. It prints 32 pages per minute! :p

FYI, I called Kinko's in Durham, NC to ask about color laser printing on 11 X 17 card stock. They quoted me 89 cents a sheet. Don't know if other Kinko's would charge the same.

Please do! Your work should get documented!

Jason

Well, I curse in my sleep too but I don;t think we are talking about the same thing.
:)

Man, what I wouldn't give to have a plotter at home......

Wonder if there would be a market for upscale paper rockets?

Hi Jason,
I'm jealous too.

I used to have access to that color plotter. At the time, I wasn’t a BAR, and didn’t know of paper rockets. :(

Now I have a Canon color laser printer down the hall at work. It prints 32 pages per minute! :p

Lucky you!
My *#&$^%! HP prints maybe 32 pages a WEEK, between jams and misfeeds.

Lucky you!
My *#&$^%! HP prints maybe 32 pages a WEEK, between jams and misfeeds.

Hey! I have that same printer!!!! I haven't been building much lately, so 32 pages a week works ok for now...

Originally posted by BARX2
FYI, I called Kinko's in Durham, NC to ask about color laser printing on 11 X 17 card stock. They quoted me 89 cents a sheet. Don't know if other Kinko's would charge the same.

That's much better than the quote I got from another place! Thanks for the tip.

This thread keeps rearing it's ugly head. :D

On another forum I learned of some N-1 videos that are online. I wish I had seen them when I was building the model. They have good shots of the first vehicle along with the extraordinarily large "kaboom" that resulted from the second flight.

The videos are here:

Real_N1_Flight_One

Real_N1_Flight_Two

They are on this website:

Russian_Video_website

Which is in the Russian language, but the webpage easily translates with this:

https://world.altavista.com/

There is a great video on the Plesetsk launch site and has lots of nice shots of a Soyuz being prepped with a Photon (an unmanned descendent of Yuri Gagarin's Vostok capsule). It's a huge video but I got GREAT download speeds.

I have not done much of anything with rockets lately, I'm stuck about 75% of the way converting a Classic Paper Space Models Vostok for flight.

Jason

Jason,

Good to hear from you.

I'm having the same problem I had with links from the Buran group. When I hit the link it opens in Windows media, but sound only, no video.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Drew

Originally posted by dtomko
Jason,

Good to hear from you.

I'm having the same problem I had with links from the Buran group. When I hit the link it opens in Windows media, but sound only, no video.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Drew

Drew,

Check to make sure you have the DIVX codec installed. I know some of those videos require it.

https://www.divx.com/

I use the free version.

hope this helps,

Jason

Jason, great link. Thanks! I've got the Classic Paper Space Model Vostok as well as a Dr. Zooch Luna to build "one of these days". Drew, yes they do require the DivX codec.

Rats! I have Windows 98 at home and my work computer won't let me install DIVX:mad:

Drew

Back