Country Music by Ken Burns on PBS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A 16 hour film in 8 installments.
Parts 1-4 showed last week.
Parts 5-8 showing this week.
Late to the show, caught parts 6 and 7 the past two nights.
SO GOOD!
And I'm not even a country fan.:D
Anybody else watching?

Good stuff just like you'd expect from Ken Burns. Random favorite parts: Jimmie Rodgers and Louis Armstrong on the same record ?!? In the 1930's !!!
Merle Haggard was a Californian !!!!! :)

Fascinating to see the evolution of country music. Countrypolitan, country rock, outlaw.
But it all comes back, like the unbroken circle.

Last edited:
Hearing Emmy Lou Harris singing Jambalaya last night, I remembered my late mom's record collection. 78 rpm "shellac" records, mostly swing bands and Frank Sinatra. But then I went digging today and found these:
0925191310.jpg
Hank Williams
Side A: Jambalaya
Side B: Window Shopping
Hank Williams Jr. was saying on the episode how hard it was growing up as the son of not only a country star, but a country god. Hank Williams' popularity must have been immense, to cross music genres and appeal to a young teenaged girl thousands of miles away in the middle of the Pacific Ocean during the 30's.

Also found this:
0925191311.jpg
Eddy Arnold.
Loaded em on my record player and had a grand ole time.
Laters.

Not a country fan at all, but the series is great. What's interesting is how country, folk, and early rock all evolved together.

The last scenes of Johnny Cash singing were haunting in a good way.

An outstanding series and it brings back memories of sitting on the floor and listening to the Grand Ole Opry on the radio. Yes, I'm dating myself and the only downside now, is that I have some of those great old songs rattling around in my brain.

Miss the first part last week but started watching this week. Really like the part on Willie Nelson never knew that he opened for KISS.

I was country, when country wasn't cool.
Burns hit it out of the park with this one.
Waiting for it to come out on DVD
Jazz and country/bluegrass are the only true American music.

Back