Coronavirus: What questions do you have?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm no expert on masks....

A half face respirator is better than a normal face mask because a properly fitted half face mask should be able to pull vacuum when the filters are blocked. The filters attached are rated the same (N95, P100, R100, etc.)

For my 3M 7501 I have both N95 filters as well as P100 filters. N95 will filter 95% of particles but aren't rated for oil resistance. P100 filters will filter 99.7% of particles and is oil proof. R100 are the same as P100 but only oil resistant. There are also canister filters that are the same but include activated carbon filter for chemicals.

I use the P100 canisters with my 7501 mask when I'm spraying lacquer paint because it'll filter the acetone and other VOCs.

A half face respirator is better than a normal face mask because a properly fitted half face mask should be able to pull vacuum when the filters are blocked. The filters attached are rated the same (N95, P100, R100, etc.)

For my 3M 7501 I have both N95 filters as well as P100 filters. N95 will filter 95% of particles but aren't rated for oil resistance. P100 filters will filter 99.7% of particles and is oil proof. R100 are the same as P100 but only oil resistant. There are also canister filters that are the same but include activated carbon filter for chemicals.

I use the P100 canisters with my 7501 mask when I'm spraying lacquer paint because it'll filter the acetone and other VOCs.

I have a 3M FF-403 full-face respirator and their 60926 P100 filters. Protects the eyes getting exposed, too. Lots of filter choices, but I got the one for VOCs at the time.

I am an expert on the Virus and I can tell you that a mask with a filter with large holes than the size fo the virus would not be superior if the virus passes through. 99.7% great as long as the particles of concern are filtered. The P100 should be effective, but I have not seen any studies. That being said, I would use it.

Both a half mask dust mask N95 (soft flexible material type) and a Half mask air purifying respirator have the same Assigned Protection Factor from OSHA an APF/PF of 10. However a properly fitted half mask respirator such as a MSA Advantage 200 LS or similar will give superior sealing around the edges. The two having the same PF is IMO B.S. as the Half Mask APR is the better product and more protective, fit testing with the soft dust mask style N95 was usually problematic (erratic getting a proper seal) whereas the MSA Advantage 200 was easy to get properly sealed (as long as the right size mask was worn, most adult males are mediums). While I am not a doctor, until last year I was a qualified Respiratory Instructor at a Dept of Energy training facility.

Here is a link to OSHA's document on Protection Factors https://www.osha.gov/Publications/3352-APF-respirators.html

Last edited:
I use combinations of all the above mentioned filters and masks. However I've always doubled the filter pads in all of mine. Not sure why or where I picked it up from over the years, but I do. Does anyone else? Is there any benefit?

Kaiser Permanente told Mrs. OD today they would not refill her Plaquinel prescription so she called her rheumatologist who had prescribed it for her. He told her that the new policy was due to shortage related to the Wuhan Virus.

Is there anything you are able to disclose (without having to kill me) on treatment of the virus with Plaquinel?

It's been touted during news conferences as either a possible cure or treatment. So a lot of healthcare professionals started prescribing it for themselves, their family members, and their friends, creating a shortage. There is zero evidence that it is effective, but when you have the president saying it might work, some folks are going to act on that information.

The FDA is trying to clamp down on that, but it's probably too late, the damage has already been done and existing supplies were wiped out. And now people that really need it can't get it.

Tony

Kaiser Permanente told Mrs. OD today they would not refill her Plaquinel prescription so she called her rheumatologist who had prescribed it for her. He told her that the new policy was due to shortage related to the Wuhan Virus.
Hope your wife got a prescription for an alternative medicine from her doctor.
Had to do that a couple of times over the years when one of my meds was in short supply for one reason or another.
PS Plaquinel is a brand name for hydroxychloroquinine, an anti malarial drug which was mentioned by POTUS as one of the drugs being looked at for treatment of Covid-19.

Last edited:

Is there anything you are able to disclose (without having to kill me) on treatment of the virus with Plaquinel?

That is highly unfortunate because Plaquenil only appears to work on the very ill and they need to see a physician anyway. The research is terrible. It might be the other medication in the combo that actually achieve the benefit. People might be stocking up on the wrong medication.

I've put in an offer to donate the unopened half-mask respirator and will report back on if they want it.

This should provide some protection. I could not find the micron size filtered. I will tell you that some protection is better than none. If ti filters 0.3 microns, it will filter out the virus.

By definition (from NIOSH), N95 cartridges filter out 95% of particles 0.3 microns or larger. As I understand the literature I've read so far, filtration efficiency tends to increase somewhat over time as more pores get clogged. Eventually enough pores get clogged that the mask is hard to breathe through.

Anyone have questions or ones front he past I have no answered? Respond to this post.

Chuck, do you feel that your facility now has the testing capacity it needs to test everyone you think should be tested, or is bandwidth dictating that some folks you would like to test (maybe milder, but consistent symptoms...mild case types) not being tested? Also, what are you hearing from other folks in your position at other facilities regarding testing bandwidth on the ground?

Basically I'm wondering if the positive test numbers we are seeing are more representative of the infected population than they were early on, or if we are still in catching up to the actual infected population when it comes to testing.

All of this is of course, to the extent you feel comfortable discussing it...not trying to put you on the spot here.

Chuck, do you feel that your facility now has the testing capacity it needs to test everyone you think should be tested, or is bandwidth dictating that some folks you would like to test (maybe milder, but consistent symptoms...mild case types) not being tested? Also, what are you hearing from other folks in your position at other facilities regarding testing bandwidth on the ground?

Basically I'm wondering if the positive test numbers we are seeing are more representative of the infected population than they were early on, or if we are still in catching up to the actual infected population when it comes to testing.

All of this is of course, to the extent you feel comfortable discussing it...not trying to put you on the spot here.

We can test 850 per day. We are testing for quite a bit of the network facilities in the SE. Currently, we are testing most patients that present with Lab Corp and the remainder we test with our equipment. We only test symptomatic patients. The most we have tested in 130-150 per day. Currently, we have less than 10 positives in 2 weeks.

We can test 850 per day. We are testing for quite a bit of the network facilities in the SE. Currently, we are testing most patients that present with Lab Corp and the remainder we test with our equipment. We only test symptomatic patients. The most we have tested in 130-150 per day. Currently, we have less than 10 positives in 2 weeks.

Glad to hear you have the capacity you need, at least at the moment. Hope you enjoy your day off, you have earned it.

I got so used to working every day that it feels odd not.

Hello, Chuck. Since some were discussing masks earlier in this thread, One thing I've noticed is you see people in public places like stores, etc, wearing face mask, but often they wear no eye protection like goggles or face shield. Can Corona virus not enter through the eyes, or tear ducts like some other respiratory virus can? If the same tiny droplets that might be inhaled land in your eyes, could this also result in infection?

Some of ours are too busy complaining about an ordinance issued by our health commission forbidding church congregations from gathering en masse and suggesting services be broadcast as an attack on their religious freedom despite several cases of Covid-19 linked to local church.

Oh yoi! Now some may consider me knutz (many do, I'm afraid...), but I am a person of very deep faith - it was a gift. And I know that I can very much trust my Father, but not if I swan dive off a skyscraper. I think you get my point. It sure ain't a question of religious freedom, public safety can temporarily override that. We had our Men's bible study last week via "teh intarwebz", which is pretty impressive considering most of the guys are in their 70's and even 80's...

Hope Dr. Chuck had a restful day off.

ETA: I have no idea how that got so out of order. I still have some learning to do about this forum software....

I am back to work tomorrow. I am praying this week will be the time we turn the tide on this vile virus.

Good luck, Chuck. Hope you were able to manage some rest, and enjoyed that bourbon.

Hello, Chuck. Since some were discussing masks earlier in this thread, One thing I've noticed is you see people in public places like stores, etc, wearing face mask, but often they wear no eye protection like goggles or face shield. Can Corona virus not enter through the eyes, or tear ducts like some other respiratory virus can? If the same tiny droplets that might be inhaled land in your eyes, could this also result in infection?

Simple masks carried by the public probably help more by reducing the amount a person sheds. It's my understanding that in some Asian countries it's considered a courtesy to wear them if you are sick.
I just learned that here in Austria they will be handed out at entrances of supermarkets starting on Wednesday and wearing them in supermarkets will be mandatory from then on, with plans to extend that to all public spaces later. It seems that the gravest shortage of masks might be over by now.

Reinhard

I've been taking 200mg of hydroxychloroquine daily for over a year. It was prescribed to "suppress the immune system", which in my case was attacking red blood cells, causing severe anemia, kidney damage and inflammation. (I also get monthly infusions of Benlysta and have been getting along quite well.) My dose is half of the typical standard 400mg dose because I couldn't tolerate the digestive system side effects. 2 of our kids are RNs, working in CA and MT, so while they are a safe distance away, we are all a bit distressed over this situation. Hope to see this new virus fade with the change of season, apparently the warm weather helps to kill viral bugs off generally. Because there are a lot of people who have been taking the hydroxychloroquine as a treatment for SLE, it would make sense to identify those patients who contract covid to help understand if the drug helps or not. Tomorrow I have to travel to a hospital for an infusion because my local centers are closed, so I'll have a chance of being exposed, not so much in the facility as in the surrounding parking debacle. Confusing to me is how a compound that works to suppress the immune system could help to provide "immunity" to this virus, or malaria for that matter. My suggestion would be to await the outcomes of FDA studies before taking any new or panic-driven treatments because of the damage that they can cause.

Thank you Chuck for sharing your observations and insight.

With launches being cancelled and delayed, there is now time to build bigger and better rockets.:D

I've been taking 200mg of hydroxychloroquine daily for over a year. It was prescribed to "suppress the immune system", which in my case was attacking red blood cells, causing severe anemia, kidney damage and inflammation. (I also get monthly infusions of Benlysta and have been getting along quite well.) My dose is half of the typical standard 400mg dose because I couldn't tolerate the digestive system side effects. 2 of our kids are RNs, working in CA and MT, so while they are a safe distance away, we are all a bit distressed over this situation. Hope to see this new virus fade with the change of season, apparently the warm weather helps to kill viral bugs off generally. Because there are a lot of people who have been taking the hydroxychloroquine as a treatment for SLE, it would make sense to identify those patients who contract covid to help understand if the drug helps or not. Tomorrow I have to travel to a hospital for an infusion because my local centers are closed, so I'll have a chance of being exposed, not so much in the facility as in the surrounding parking debacle. Confusing to me is how a compound that works to suppress the immune system could help to provide "immunity" to this virus, or malaria for that matter. My suggestion would be to await the outcomes of FDA studies before taking any new or panic-driven treatments because of the damage that they can cause.

Thank you Chuck for sharing your observations and insight.

With launches being cancelled and delayed, there is now time to build bigger and better rockets.:D

Hydroxycholorquine does not provide immunity or at least there is no proof of that today. So far, the indication to treat only the severest of infections. To be honest, the mechanism is known but is theorized to suppress the immune system which might be causing the damage to the body in these severe infections. The evidence is very limited and the researcher who hypothesized it has been debunk in the past for outlandish claims. I have treated on patient with it and we have have had 100% positive results. That could be a coincidence. Time will tell with more data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back