Coronavirus: What questions do you have?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chuck,

One key thing to remember is that, apparently, no "immunity", of any type, is developed by coming down Covid-19. You could keep getting re-exposed and re-contracting it, theoretically, perpetually.

Since it's an RNA virus and mutates frequently, will ANY vaccine be able to provide adequate protection against it ?

Dave F.
This isn't known to be true, and in fact is certainly false. The reason we recover from a viral infection is because we develop an antigenic response, immunity if you will, against it.

What we don't know is how long it lasts against the current strain and how much it will be meaningful as the virus mutates.

There are a lot of anecdotal reports right now covering lots of points on the spectrum.

What is needed is a strong clinical study to evaluate the immune response to the disease. Here is an example of such a trial that begins enrollment in April:

https://investors.adaptivebiotech.c...ogies-and-microsoft-expand-partnership-decode

Chuck,

One key thing to remember is that, apparently, no "immunity", of any type, is developed by coming down Covid-19. You could keep getting re-exposed and re-contracting it, theoretically, perpetually.

Yes, I realize that Naftali Bennett, the Minister of Defense for Israel, said that people would be IMMUNE after recovery, in the YouTube video above . . . HOWEVER, that is the ONLY SOURCE that has said that, to my knowledge !

Since it's an RNA virus and mutates frequently, would ANY vaccine be able to provide adequate protection against it ?

Dave F.

“There is no immunity” is a fallacy. It is suspected that there are reinfections. There is some evidence that this might be happening. There is also some evidence of some immunity. Until we study the virus, it is all conjecture. How do you tell that some has a second infection versus one that did not fully clear the first time?

I get this all the time with chicken pox. “I had it twice” is common. In my experience that is very rare. More often, people get another bug, scabies, or incomplete clearance of the first infection instead of two separate infections of chicken pox.

Chuck,

Yes, I realize that Naftali Bennett, the Minister of Defense for Israel, said that people would be IMMUNE after recovery, in the YouTube video above . . . HOWEVER, that is the ONLY SOURCE that has said that, to my knowledge !

Since it's an RNA virus and mutates frequently, would ANY vaccine be able to provide adequate protection against it ?

Dave F.

That's not the current state of knowledge. In monkeys that healed from COVID-19, researchers were not able to cause reinfection.
https://www.livescience.com/monkeys-cannot-get-reinfected-with-coronavirus-study.html

If you have any reputable source that confirms COVID-19 reinfection in humans is happening, please post it.

Reinhard

Let me clear up an incorrect impression that so many apparently have that I think this is a bioweapon, something that I was typing a response to in my original thread, conveniently just as it was closed. I DO NOT think that and have said it many times.

See Israel's solution in my post 506 above and why there is absolutely no need for panic once you realize how right what THEY are doing is.

Except that your post is misleading and is a misrepresentation of Israel's Covid-19 response strategy and reality.

Israel is doing exactly the same thing as everyone else, and are facing the exact same magnitude of challenges, as does the US: "Israel's government approved emergency measures to limit movement of citizens and trade, shuttering cultural and recreational establishments as well as schools and universities and banning gatherings of over 10 people"
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...estinian-pm-orders-lockdown-in-west-1.8700788
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...navirus-response-health-experts-say-1.8700250
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Winston, you really need to diversify you information sources from just conspiracy theory dumpsters....

Let me clear up an incorrect impression that so many apparently have that I think this is a bioweapon, something that I was typing a response to in my original thread, conveniently just as it was closed. I DO NOT think that and have said it many times.

It is definitely not a bio weapon.

To the posters, lets post questions and answers. This is not a news thread unless if answers questions.

It is definitely not a bio weapon.

To the posters, lets post questions and answers. This is not a news thread unless if answers questions.

Chuck,

QUESTION : What is your theory as to the origin of the coronavirus ?

The Chinese government, originally, denied everything and is still concealing the truth.
The only Level 4 Bio-Lab in China is located in Wuhan.
The "wet market", which China tried to implicate as the source, is less than 8 miles ( 13.5 km, by road ) from the Level-4 Lab.
The source article clearly shows no connection between the Market & "Patient Zero".

This article has a good overview of the timeline . . .

https://www.cnsnews.com/article/int...wirl-about-source-chinas-coronavirus-outbreak

This is a map of the region : ( The "wet market" and the Level-4 Lab are 8 miles apart )

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Wuh...2fd18fef96!2m2!1d114.3508524!2d30.5391912!3e0

GROUND ZERO.JPG

Chuck,

QUESTION : What is your theory as to the origin of the coronavirus ?

The Chinese government, originally, denied everything and is still concealing the truth.
The only Level 4 Bio-Lab in China is located in Wuhan.
The "wet market", which China tried to implicate as the source, is less than 8 miles ( 13.5 km, by road ) from the Level-4 Lab.
The source article clearly shows no connection between the Market & "Patient Zero".

This article has a good overview of the timeline . . .

https://www.cnsnews.com/article/int...wirl-about-source-chinas-coronavirus-outbreak

This is a map of the region : ( The "wet market" and the Level-4 Lab are 8 miles apart )

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Wuh...2fd18fef96!2m2!1d114.3508524!2d30.5391912!3e0

View attachment 410059

There are multiple reliable sources with opinions. I suspect that it is from an animal. I guess a bat is possible. Right now, I am trying to save our patient's lives and where it came from is not my primary concern. It certainly will not help treatment. I suspect that epidemiologies are trying to find the animal in China right now.

Chuck,

Are you/they seeing any correlation between people who have a common source of the disease and those that present with severe symptoms? The case of 4 family members passing went around on the news over the weekend. We also have 3 in the ICU vented and prone with the same likely source of infection.

Filler for attention

Chuck, my wife had open heart surgery as an infant and now has heart arrhythmia and had preclampsia when our second child was born. Would this put her in the high risk category that would necessitate getting her to the hospital sooner rather than later if she contracts the virus?

Chuck, my wife had open heart surgery as an infant and now has heart arrhythmia and had preclampsia when our second child was born. Would this put her in the high risk category that would necessitate getting her to the hospital sooner rather than later if she contracts the virus?

I would depend on what medications she is on currently.
The murmur: It really depends on the type of murmur and which valve. https://www.heart.org/en/news/2020/02/27/what-heart-patients-should-know-about-coronavirus
High blood pressure is a risk as is diabetes.

As far as getting to the hospital, anyone sick that develops shortness of breath should be seen quickly. I would not lose sleep over this increased risk. You can't change it. She just needs to be more vigilant to keep her hands clean and avoid public places for a little while. Your and the rest of the family need to try not bring anything home to her.

Just so you know, multiple of my family members have similar risk factors. I have told them the same thing.

Chuck,

Are you/they seeing any correlation between people who have a common source of the disease and those that present with severe symptoms? The case of 4 family members passing went around on the news over the weekend. We also have 3 in the ICU vented and prone with the same likely source of infection.
I am certainly no expert, but it seems like this might be from other confounding factors, e.g., family members live in a house that has mold, weakening their respiratory or immune systems.

Chuck,

All of our ICU patients have one thing in common: Immunosuppression. Transplant patient, End-stage liver disease, end-stage pulmonary disease, and congestive heart failure. We have several other positive patients that tested to confirm exposure. They were confirmed positive and are doing fine. I would not have ordered the test on them, but a colleague did.

I am getting ready to head to work again. I hope everyone has a safe day at home.

Remember 40 rolls of TP should last through the Zombie Apocalypse. I have 10 and that will last me a good 3-4 months. If it doesn't consider more fiber and less fat.

I am getting ready to head to work again. I hope everyone has a safe day at home.

Remember 40 rolls of TP should last through the Zombie Apocalypse. I have 10 and that will last me a good 3-4 months. If it doesn't consider more fiber and less fat.
Don't know about that. I think more fiber would have the opposite effect, i.e. going more frequently.

Don't know about that. I think more fiber would have the opposite effect, i.e. going more frequently.

You would think that but fiber makes it more voluminous but less wiping is needed in most people.

Question: Is anemia, specifically low WBC an increase risk of severity if contracted due to reduced ability of the cells to combat illness? How about low RBC and other factors of anemia? Thanks in advance cwbullet and others who may have relevant and useful information.

Summary of clinical trials (real ones, with control groups...not anecdotal observation) to read out so far. Short answer, some failed out right on efficacy/futility, one made people worse (side effect profile), and at least one was inconclusive due to high response in placebo arm...that makes it neither positive or negative, but as the author notes people will be quick to declare failure. There were some, if I squint just right I might convince myself that did something, which is better than nothing in a small trial, but only slightly.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/03/24/the-latest-coronavirus-clinical-trials

Please note, I am not criticizing the choice to pursue any of these options in actual clinical trials, even that weird Russian antiviral that makes my liver hurt looking at the structure (it's a medicinal chemist thing). This is a throw everything that has a chance at the wall and see if something sticks emergency. The trick is, you have to do it in a way that you believe the answer as A LOT of people are going to jump on that first thing to actually work, and there are truly limited resources for producing these things.

It seems like a dearth of interest in Favipiravir as discussed in this video (4:05 mark). I wonder if it is because there isn't a source here in the U.S., only Japan.

Also, don't drink fish tank cleaner. Chloroquine Phosphate is not the same thing just as sodium hydroxide should not be confused with sodium chloride.

Thanks, you can gain a lot from faith. Thanks for the verse to review.

I have been gifted with a skill. I hope my body continues to provide strength to lead us through this ordeal. I think the toughest thing is coming home to an empty apartment with my family just a little over 2 hours south of me.

Then you have my prayers. One thing I haven't heard much is a national call to prayer, either I missed it or...? Where are our church leaders?

Then you have my prayers. One thing I haven't heard much is a national call to prayer, either I missed it or...? Where are our church leaders?

Some of ours are too busy complaining about an ordinance issued by our health commission forbidding church congregations from gathering en masse and suggesting services be broadcast as an attack on their religious freedom despite several cases of Covid-19 linked to local church.

I think the toughest thing about this virus is explaining to folks that they do not need a test.

Categories of requests:
1. I am sick and want tested: Most want a test to clear them to be around others. Just stay home. Even if you test negative, you might catch tomorrow. The test does very little if the walking ill.
2. I am not sick and walk to make sure I have not been exposed - Definitely not needed. A waste of valuable resources.

I recommend that all that can stay home and avoid public spaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back