Cordless Drills....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDcluster

Reaction score
Everyone needs one!
What ones do you like?

I have 3 now.
One is just a museum piece: A 1997 Craftsman 12 Volt NiCad Drill / Driver.
3 batteries not much life to any of them. Replacement costs ( if still available) $50.00.

Two is a: Dewalt 14.4 XRP. NiCad
It's about 12 years old.
I have 3 batteries for it but with very little life in any of them.

Three is a: 19.2 volt Craftsman Lithium-Ion drill / driver.
Bought it Sunday for about $20.00 more than what it would cost to replace one 14.4 volt Dewalt battery.
It only came with one battery but, will pick up a higher capacity one soon.
I haven't had a real chance to put it to work (yet)

JD

I have had the same 12v NiCd Dewalt for ~18 years. When the batteries died I bought a new battery even though the battery was half the price of a new drill. There is a great deal to be said for something you KNOW through experience will do the job everytime.

Ingersoll-Rand 1/2 inch impact, came with the drill attachment (more like a hammer drill), 20V 3.0A Lithium battery. It's a beast!
Impact Gun is rated 700 ft.lbs working, 1100 ft.lbs peak.

Did I say it was a beast? IT'S A BEAST!! :dark:

Last edited:
9.6 Volt Makita , I bought it back when dinosaurs roamed earth

really late 1980's even has a steel case

I had a cordless drill like this way back in the 60's - never needed charging!!! :)

post-millerdrill.jpg

Makita 18v lithium ion with driver.

I have used numerous brands on my last job and prefer Makita.

Dewalt lithium at home Milwaukee at work. Lithiums are far superior!

Dennis

Started with a cheapo Craftsman 7.2v, moved to a Porter Cable 9.6v (back when Porter Cable meant something), then when those batteries died, bought a DeWalt 12v that I still use today.

G.D.

I bought a Hatachi drill with a 1/2 inch chuck and 2 18V Lithium batteries this last summer for 75 or 80 dollars at one of those closeout stores. So far I really like it. The batteries really hold their charge. I also have a 7 or 8 year old Craftsman 18V that the battery runs out really fast.

9.6 Volt Makita , I bought it back when dinosaurs roamed earth
The one with the 'stick' batteries? Loved mine until it was submerged for days in my cellar after the flood in 2011 :y:. The chuck for it was repurposed for my launch rod... so part of it lives on!

Replaced by a Craftsman bought on Black Friday.

Makita 14 V drill and the non-battery, hand drill from the 70's. Just bought two new batteries for the Makita last month and I have used it for the last three days replacing the trailer floor in the elk hunting trailer (soft floors) and I'm still on the first battery!

1984 I bought a Hitachi. Then Dewalt, Makita, Bosch, Panasonic, currently Milwaukee. My favorites are the Panasonic and Milwaukee. The new small Dewalts are really nice.

I use both the makita XLT 18v impact drill and driver on a daily basis at work and we all carry a makita 12v impact on out tool bags. Gosh I love that little impact driver.
-Ken

I bought a Dewalt 18v cordless drill nearly 20 years ago. I have replaced the two NiCads once. I have had great service from the drill and would only buy Dewalt again.

I have a Craftsman C3 19.2v cordless with a NiCad battery. Sadly, the last of my 4 NiCads is on its way out. Time to upgrade to the LiIon packs - I have enough invested in other C3 tools to make it worth buying new batteries. It's actually sometimes cheaper to buy a drill with battery and charger than just a battery.

I bought my first cordless drill back in 1982. It was a Craftsman, it had internal batteries and it charged through a plug in the base of the handle. I used it almost exclusively as a screw driver back in my consumer electronics technician days, it was great for removing case screws on countless pieces of equipment.

Since then I've owned quite a few cheap NiCad models mostly from Harbour Freight. The HF drills are very good for what they cost unfortunately the chargers are crap and have to be baby sat to prevent ruining the battery. It is often cheaper to get a whole new drill with battery than to buy a new battery.

I've been looking at LIon drills but dang they are high priced. The prices are gonna hafta come down a bit before I get one. Health insurance just went up 45% :y: so there are many things that will have to wait for a while.

Health insurance just went up 45% :y: so there are many things that will have to wait for a while.
This is a surprise?

I received a DeWalt 12V drill for fathers day around 1980, still works well but within a year of purchase they changed the battery design. Of course they were not interchangeable. About ten years ago I bought a Ryobi because they had multiple tools for the same battery. Been very happy with it. They recently went to LI batteries and the new batteries work in all my old tools.

Mike

Makita 18v lithium ion. I have heard really good things about the Panasonics as well.

I only have a cheap Harbor Freight 18volter that was under $20. It runs fine but is clearly less powerful than the bigger name brands. It works OK for my rocket drilling and light duty household use.

I have a Ridgid 18V lithium drill and a hammer drill. Both have been bullet proof. I got one on clearance at a local Home Depot with batteries, and bought just the hammer drill (no battery, etc) off ebay. So far they've been the best drills I've owned! One thing though, I'll never have a NiCd power tool again, lithium is just too darned good.

Also have a Ridgid miter saw that's been great, too.

Old school Makita here, got to say I much prefer a plug in electric though. My 20 year old Dewalt has seen better days so just purchased another this week. Nothing wrong with the old one but it has many black tape repairs and has lived a hard life. Don't like keyless chucks either, never hold as tight as a real Jacobs chuck. I bet I have used both Makita's less then 12 times.
DSC00125.JPG

For anyone else who prefers electric my new Dewalt was purchased at Lowes on clearance for $44 (Reg $59)
https://www.lowes.com/pd_150087-70-...ct_qty_sales_dollar|1&page=1&facetInfo=DEWALT

DSC00125.JPG

Ryobi 18V Lithium (along with an assortment of other cordless tools in the set).

060219022.jpg

I've got two Craftsman 19.2v drills that I like. I got the second one because it was cheaper than buying an LI battery separately. The newer drill is physically smaller yet more powerful than the original drill. Both have 1/2" chucks. Love love love LI batteries! I've since bought a second LI for them. I also have a Craftsman Nextec 12v LI drill that I really like. I also LOVE the Nextec cordless sander. And for the range, I have a Bosch 12v LI "pocket driver". It's basically a drill without a chuck. It only accepts 1/4" hex attachments.

Back