Old power tool disposal

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both my Makita and Ingersoll-rand stuff have charge indicators as well.
Makita is awesome. I have a 4" corded angle grinder that I bought new, and that is over 25 years old, that I have used and abused on a weekly basis. I've changed the motor brushes once, and it works as good today as the day I bought it.

Makita is awesome. I have a 4" corded angle grinder that I bought new, and that is over 25 years old, that I have used and abused on a weekly basis. I've changed the motor brushes once, and it works as good today as the day I bought it.
I don't think anyone yet has a 25 year-old Li cordless tool. That's just about when Li batteries started hitting the shelves. But the worst that can happen is the battery losing charge over the years in which case it can be replaced. The tool itself doesn't wear any more than a corded one. So for the extra cost, a cordless tool provides the same longevity, more freedom, and no cord in the way, as long as compatible batteries are still available in 10-15 years.

I don't think anyone yet has a 25 year-old Li cordless tool. That's just about when Li batteries started hitting the shelves. But the worst that can happen is the battery losing charge over the years in which case it can be replaced. The tool itself doesn't wear any more than a corded one. So for the extra cost, a cordless tool provides the same longevity, more freedom, and no cord in the way, as long as compatible batteries are still available in 10-15 years.
It's going to be interesting to see battery technology changing, they say breakthroughs are coming.

Replaced? Exactly my point. Plugging a corded tool into a 120 volt source, nothing ever needs replaced.

And the worst that can happen is the batteries are no longer available which, for most folks, means the tool is now worthless. That's been happening for years as technology changes, and likely will continue to do so. Buy the latest and greatest battery powered tool... now it's a paperweight.

An equal quality and performance battery powered tool will always cost more than a corded tool, due to the cost of building the battery. And its overall cost to the owner will continue to rise due to charging the batteries over and over again. And less we forget, the battery powered tool has a bigger carbon footprint, again, due to initially building the battery, and since it needs recharging.

So, if you can use a corded tool, it is better for your wallet, and the current population of the asylum would tell us a corded tool is better to minimize the "climate crisis".

Last edited:
Anything cordless can be frustrating if you like to keep them for a long time. I have a corded drill that is nearly 50 years old that still works perfectly well, and I can count 2 generations of cordless drills that I've gotten rid of. I bought a replacement battery for my DeWalt 14.4V and it worked for awhile, I handed it down to my daughter. That battery recently died on her so I'm handing down my 20V DeWalt and I'm going to buy a new one when they go on sale later this year.
Around 10 years ago I bought a Rigid set on clearance at Home Depot, the batteries never did work in that set so they just sat on a shelf in my garage. I recently bought a new 5AH battery from Amazon so now I can use those again.
I understand I could buy an adapter for my 14.4V DeWalt so it could use current 20V batteries but for what the adapter and a new battery cost, I could buy a whole new drill kit.
I will tell my daughter to take her old drill to a secondhand store and donate it but she will probably put it in her store room and it will still be there when she gets ready to move next time.

So, if you can use a corded tool, it is better for your wallet

My go-to router is almost 70 years old, my father handed it down in the 80’s and it still works fine. Just like this one:

5246DC5C-7616-4B10-BABF-B3CB14D499F5.jpeg

My first cordless drill (Ryobi 7.2V) lasted about 10 years. I’ve had 2 more since then. My new drill has a cord.

My go-to router is almost 70 years old, my father handed it down in the 80’s and it still works fine. Just like this one:

View attachment 541587

My first cordless drill (Ryobi 7.2V) lasted about 10 years. I’ve had 2 more since then. My new drill has a cord.
nice thing about those old all metal tools is that usually the only repairsxthey need are: switch replaced, cords replaced, bearings or bushings replaced or motor brushes replaced, all of which are pretty easy to do, and typically are standard sizes. Brush replacement is super easy, remove the two black bakelite plugs pull out old brushes put in new ones and run tool (a special abrasive stick can be used to help seat the new brushes to the rotor faster).

Back