CONTEST PREVIEW (NEED Q's and COMMENTS)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMRR

Reaction score
Folks,

It is coming very soon and so far the prize list is OUTSTANDING!

But I need some folks to kick the tires for me: All comments welcome.

I reserve the right to any final say :p

DESIGN THIS SPACESHIP CONTEST

Regards,
Nick

Looks like a great contest! IMO the Replication Bonus for #2 should be at least as high as #3, though.

Phil

I like the theme of the contest...but none of the designs really appeal to me! Maybe you could add a few more designs?

I may be willing to add 1 or 2 more, but I don't want to dilute the field too much.

I like Brianc's.

I also have this one:

NOTE: I have a bunch of others too, but am cast most away for some reason or another.

Nick

Is there anyway you could lighten or increase the contrast on #3?

One of the problems with all these 3D rendering programs is the result
tends to be way too dark to discern the details. This is OK, if you're
looking for the 'artistic' picture, but terrible if using the shot to build from.
Unfortunately, most of the pics available on the net are created by artists. :rolleyes:

If you want #3 to be dark on purpose, then that's OK, too. It could result in
lots of variety. Or maybe contestants will stay away from it....

Oh yeah! THAT one I like! Any chance of a different view of that one Nick? Kinda hard to see what is going on with the front end...

I've seen that pic that Brianc posted, but always discounted it as a build as it's just a little too phallic... :eek:

Okay, I've updated it with the two additional designs (thanks Brianc).

I'm still negotiating on the weighting so you can sound off now prior to finalization.

Also, here's the first glipse at the prize table...

Thanks,
Nick

Originally posted by EMRR
Okay, I've updated it with the two additional designs (thanks Brianc).
Oh sure! You're gonna force me to go ahead and build it... :D

BTW- you added the extra photos, but neglected to update the contest
text and rules...
below you will find four (4) Spaceship pictures ....
.... one of these four pictures ...

Many THANX to the prize sponsors!!!

Great prize selection--I'm thinking about 4 entries just to go for max prizes. In all seriousness, I'd consider limiting to 1-2 entries per person.

Replication and write-up are undervalued in relation to flight and best in group scores. Flight is certainly going to take 100 points for a winner, and won't really differentiate/rank top contestants. Best in group is going to basically put the 5-6 individuals who happened to get most votes in their group (VERY subjective, prone to ballot box stuffing) in a class by themselves, and replication, the hardest thing to do and highest weight factor is only going to work out to maybe 20-30 points tops, which is then watered down by 60%.

Make the scoring for flight and group rank a bit closer in value to the others, and you've got a great contest. Otherwise, it's to the contestant's advantage to build one quick and dirty entry in each of 4 classes, get 4 flights apiece in, and work the ballot box campaign.

Two other tips--make the photos post-flight, including one of the smoked motor mount, so that unstable flights are basically penalized via damage, and make the voting as anonomous as possible (we vote on pictures, not names).

--Chan Stevens

Originally posted by brianc
Oh sure! You're gonna force me to go ahead and build it... :D

BTW- you added the extra photos, but neglected to update the contest
text and rules...

Many THANX to the prize sponsors!!!

Got it, but left max entries at (4). Should I go to (6)?

Originally posted by chanstevens
Make the scoring for flight and group rank a bit closer in value to the others, and you've got a great contest. Otherwise, it's to the contestant's advantage to build one quick and dirty entry in each of 4 classes, get 4 flights apiece in, and work the ballot box campaign.

Two other tips--make the photos post-flight, including one of the smoked motor mount, so that unstable flights are basically penalized via damage, and make the voting as anonomous as possible (we vote on pictures, not names).

--Chan Stevens

I agree so I made some changes.

Oh man.......This looks like it could be fun! But, I gotta agree about bettering the contrast on one or two of the pictures. I can't figure out what #3 looks like.

Originally posted by Swampworks
Oh man.......This looks like it could be fun! But, I gotta agree about bettering the contrast on one or two of the pictures. I can't figure out what #3 looks like.

Are you guys having this trouble on the enlarged version? Or just the thumbnail shown on the contest page?

nICK

I can see #3 just fine on the enlarged one. I am, however, using a very bright, high contrast monitor.

I had to run #3 thru The GIMP (increasing the brightness to 60%) before
I realized it was a fleet of craft, not an Alien monstrosity...

Here's my edited version.

I was able to see it just fine. However Brianc's version definately shows a lot more detail, I think.

I made one like #5 one day at Apogee, so I know it can be done. I think they could all be done. (Professional designers and idiot savants should be disqualified anyway...ringer!)

Back