Concerns About Epoxy Integrity: Piercer 98 Stored for 1.5-2 Years

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STOPPIE

Reaction score
Around 1.5 to 2 years ago, I acquired the Piercer 98, but due to a lack of time, I haven't been able to assemble the EV bay. Consequently, it has been stored in my garage all this time. Although all the preparations were completed back then, including epoxying everything with JB Weld, I never got the chance to fly it. Now, after this considerable period, I have the time to finally take it for a spin. I'm wondering if there should be any concerns about the epoxy potentially weakening during the time it was left unused? This flight will be for my L2

I think the epoxy is still fine. However, if it's been cold for a long time, it might be a good idea to warm it up to 140 F or so for an hour or two before mixing it. Sometimes resin will crystallize. That doesn't mean it's bad, just that it needs to be de-crystallized. Which flavor of JB Weld is it? The kind that comes with metal ballast mixed in? ;-)

he states that he already epoxied it all.
So, the questions are:
1. How well did you do your surface prep?
2. Why JB Weld?

send it. I routinely fly rockets I built long before you did yours, and routinely do worse things to them then a J motor......
Good luck!

I think the epoxy is still fine. However, if it's been cold for a long time, it might be a good idea to warm it up to 140 F or so for an hour or two before mixing it. Sometimes resin will crystallize. That doesn't mean it's bad, just that it needs to be de-crystallized. Which flavor of JB Weld is it? The kind that comes with metal ballast mixed in? ;-)
the epoxy is cured on the airframe, with the fiberglass motor, centering rings, and fins on/in the airframe

he states that he already epoxied it all.
So, the questions are:
1. How well did you do your surface prep?
2. Why JB Weld?

send it. I routinely fly rockets I built long before you did yours, and routinely do worse things to them then a J motor......
Good luck!
Same here, I still have some hanging around that were built in the 90’s that fly

hmmm. 30 year old epoxy? the question is does it cure? Is the resin all crystalized? I'm sure that theoretically it's degraded but we really overbuild anyhow....

would make for some interesting tests, if you have the time and inclination,.....

I stood on a rocket built with nearly 10-year-old epoxy and it was all good! In addition, my dad has flown his rocket built with the same epoxy over ten years ago well past the speed of sound on multiple occasions. You're alright!

I have a small boat in my backyard. I must have built it about 25 years ago. The epoxy that holds the wood together is holding up well, but some of the wood is not. Of course, it's been outside most of that time. It would all probably still be fine if I'd attended to some damage immediately.

Back