Reflections on Epoxy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayco

Desert Rat Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The laundry/epoxy/sanding room has been busy this month. We decided to attend Airfest and both Sharon and I have several projects that need to be done before the big road trip.
It started with the Wild child when the expanding foam escaped containment in the fincan. Sorry, no pics. we were much to busy cleaning up.
This week we have stuck fins in the Wild Thang and my new X-Celerator, with the Super Duper Dark Jart soon to follow. I was running external fillets today and looked around my work area, quite a collection! I posed a pic. so I can remember what all is there:
012-3.jpg

Left to right:
1 qt. Rocketpoxy
1 pt. Proline 4500
squeeze bottles of Rocketpoxy
1 qt. West systems 105/205 (behind the goof off)
syringe of Hammerhead 5 min.
Great Planes 30 min.
JB weld (behind the Great Planes)
Microballons filler
Milled fiberglass filler
Chopped carbon
All of which has seen use this month.

Sharon used West Systems with some chopped carbon fiber to inject fillets in her Wild Thang and then again with the microballons for small fillets:
153.jpg

The edge of the W is so close to the BT that a larger fillet would flow through. So she just poured some WS with microballons in and let it settle. No wet finger or other tool to smooth, just leveled it and let it set:
151.jpg

We do have a handy curing oven right next to the epoxy room, called a garage:
154.jpg

Today the thermostat is set for 107* while just outside the sunshine is cooking along at 110*:
007-Copy.jpg

I'm slowly getting the hang of this new Rocketpoxy, mainly by ignoring all the advise given on TRF and developing my own technique. First, don't try to do more than one set of external fillets at a time, regardless of how thick you think it is, it will still flow if you turn your rocket, even after an hour from mixing with the room temp. at 76*.
Don't bother letting it set up for 30 min. either, it just makes it harder to work with, and it will still flow, unless you have a handy garage like mine. Nothing flows after a few minutes in there, even West systems. If you're not used to it, it can even stop the blood flowing in your circulatory system.
:y:
Here is the second set of fillets I did today, using 60 grams for all four fins:
003-1.jpg

I'm getting pretty good results now, but in my opinion it can't beat the Proline for a smooth fillet.
We were sticking on Aeropac retainers and I decided to finish up a tube of JB Weld. After two retainers were finished, there was some left, so Sharon used it to attach 1/2" kevlar to the MMT of her new Jart:
002-1.jpg

The X-Celerator is held together mostly with Rocketpoxy, with JB weld on the retainer and some Hammerhead on the upper CR to hold it in place for fitting fins. I talked to CJ this week and he convinced me to not inject my inner fillets. I double buttered the roots and stuck them in twice, set it out in the oven for an hour and did the next set. Sharon is going to try this method on the new Jart later today, then follow up with some Rocketpoxy fillets tinted black so it can go mostly naked with a little future floor wax to seal the nifty new Stickershock stickers she got from Mark. I'm painting the X-Celerator and her Wild Child, and her Wild Thang this weekend. Have to start early or the paint will dry before it can get from the rattlecan to the rocket. But it does speed up the curing process, and as you all know, "It's a dry heat".

47dbee0c67b14_58886n.jpg

Reflections on Epoxy . . .

Ode to Epoxy . .

Sonnet to Epoxy . . . how do I love thee - let me count the ways . . .

Speaking of 'counting', I have 5 different epoxies also now and jb weld .

Kenny

You may have made the right call not injecting internal fillets. Just did them on my Wildman Jr. using Aeropoxy with chopped CF and feeling some regret. Couldn't bring myself to use Rocket Poxy; just too thick. With CF added it seemed like it might not even come out of the syringe. Even Aeropoxy and a tiny amount of CF was like peanut butter. I injected about 80 grams and have no idea how evenly it spread because the black body tube is completely opaque. Hope I did more than just move the CG aft!

Last edited:
I only use 5 min epoxy in those $5 packs. Do I really need to go fancy for builds that just kiss HPR?

I only use 5 min epoxy in those $5 packs. Do I really need to go fancy for builds that just kiss HPR?

aeropoxy is the best thing I ever did. A TON more for $40. just by volume it's worth it.

107* garage..... I'd just die.

That depends on how much, and what, you plan to build.

If you see this before the launch today, we can discuss more at the field.

-Kevin

You may have made the right call not injecting internal fillets. Just did them on my Wildman Jr. using Aeropoxy with chopped CF and feeling some regret. Couldn't bring myself to use Rocket Poxy; just too thick. With CF added it seemed like it might not even come out of the syringe. Even Aeropoxy and a tiny amount of CF was like peanut butter. I injected about 80 grams and have no idea how evenly it spread because the black body tube is completely opaque. Hope I did more than just move the CG aft!

I inject the internal fillets with Aeropoxy on all my HP rockets. I've done it on enough fiberglass rockets that I could see though to have confidence that it does flow, even though it's thick. It still finds voids, so any internal fillet injection should be preceded by sealing the gaps between the fins and centering rings. Otherwise it runs where you don't want it, however slowly.

The thing that you have to understand about epoxy, and the manufacturers don’t want you to know, is that epoxy is ALIVE. It is an accidental byproduct from a bio-warfare laboratory sold to the public as “Glue”.

As a living organism epoxy has an agenda, it has things to do and those things and that agenda has nothing whatsoever to do with your plans for it. In fact, epoxy’s schemes are inevitably inimical to your wants needs and desires. This is why epoxy tends to go many places you don’t want it to go.

Now when using epoxy it is important to remember the 1st law of epoxy. When using 30 minute epoxy you can screw-up two things each hour. With 15 minute epoxy it is possible to screw-up four things each hour and with 5 minute epoxy you can pretty much screw-up everything in a single hour.

The thing that you have to understand about epoxy, and the manufacturers don’t want you to know, is that epoxy is ALIVE. It is an accidental byproduct from a bio-warfare laboratory sold to the public as “Glue”.

As a living organism epoxy has an agenda, it has things to do and those things and that agenda has nothing whatsoever to do with your plans for it. In fact, epoxy’s schemes are inevitably inimical to your wants needs and desires. This is why epoxy tends to go many places you don’t want it to go.

Now when using epoxy it is important to remember the 1st law of epoxy. When using 30 minute epoxy you can screw-up two things each hour. With 15 minute epoxy it is possible to screw-up four things each hour and with 5 minute epoxy you can pretty much screw-up everything in a single hour.

IYQ

That's why I use 24-hour epoxy.

No doubt! I went to go use some of my Loctite 5-min epoxy and the hardener in the bottle has turned into some sort of rubbery paste..Weird..I was still able to mix it with the resin but it was a real biotch to squeeze out of the bottle.Made 1 fillet with the little batch I made-seems to have cured hard..Made the rest of fillets with Great Planes 6-min epoxy..The hardener flowed so much better:). I think the Loctites next storage location is my trash can...

One other item I would also mention about the Rocketpoxy versus the Proline epoxy is that the Rocketpoxy has been formulated and tested to Elongation at break of 6.3% per test standard ASTM D638, for Proline epoxy I could not find this test data published but I suspect it would be less than half this amount, what this means is the Proline is a lot more brittle, So if your rocket has a hard landing (and multiple hard lift offs) the fillets and internal constructed frame parts are much more likely to fatigue and crack with Proline epoxy versus the high strength Rocketpoxy, I have personally witness this many times. Once you get the hang of making the fillets with Rocketpoxy you should get great results, I would put my smooth Rocketpoxy fillets up against any epoxy. I always have fellow rocket builders asking me about how I made such professional smooth fillets at rocket meets, and being able to easily color the Rocketpoxy fillets to match my fiberglass color tubing (not just black) really creates excitement.

Last edited:
That's why I use 24-hour epoxy.

That way you can sleep on ... what you messed up that day!!!!

haha!!!!!...

I have BUNCH of poxy, so as soon as i can work my way through it, i plant to get some rocketpoxy to try it. shouldnt take long at the rate... 4 pumps per day this last two weeks....

Back