Glues, Epoxies and batteries

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
An interesting topic and looking for some feed back. I guess being off work for a week and the last couple years not having time to really build much I started taking inventory of my batteries. I had the garage door panel go out and all it needed was a 9-volt battery. Heck I have at least of those laying around and tried them and not one worked. Great off to Costco tonight to get some, but I started thinking well what else has expired and is it usable?

Batteries- I found are best kept in room temperate storage that is dry. Not the garage in a cabinet, although temps are not that bad in my garage, but it does it warm sometimes? So the all the AAA and AA batteries are now in the house. Just looking for a box to put them in. I have the Costco size packages. I also have D batteries too. All unopened. I also looked this up but no you don't store them in the frig due to the condensation, but not sure if a zip lock would help.

CA Glue - I have four new bottles that I bought over a year ago and have kept them in the frig since I had them unopened in a coffee can, but now I have put them in a sealed class jelly jar. They also recommend using that salt packages that come with electronics to extend the life of the CA and include that in the jar. I also have in a separate jar the used bottles of CA. I also purchased on Amazon new caps for the bottles, not the colored caps, but the white plastic ones that come in contact with the CA. Those seem to really get damaged and become unusable the most.

Wood glue - Is the same and states that you should store in the frig like your groceries. See below:

https://www.igmtools.com/articles/how-to-extend-the-life-span-of-titebond-glue/

JB Weld and Epoxies - Apparently you can freeze 2 part epoxy and thaw them out, but I think just storing them in a cool dry place is the best procedure. I'm assuming this would also apply to JB Weld. Looked on the back of the package and it doesn't mention on how to stored JB Weld. I do know that over time it does become more difficult to get it out of the tube and best to toss it and get a new package. This what I pulled off the Internet "Epoxy shelf life can last many years when resin and hardener are properly stored at room temperature and in closed containers to prevent contamination. Those who have used polyester resins know that its shelf life is only about six months before it turns to a useless jelly-like substance. "

Everything does eventually go bad over time, but if you can extend the life of those 12 bottles of CA you bought because you found a good deal, then I say do it!

I hope the rest of you can add your experiences and clear up any myths.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back