Quantcast

Composite/Rocketry Warehouse X-Celerator take 2!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Wayco

Desert Rat Rocketeer
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe we should start an X-celerator fan club. Here are two that usually show up at "Holtville Havoc":

1603538333024.png

My "Rapiditty" and Mark's "Fairly Fast Finch"

Tobor

Get your peanuts....
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well thx a lot Bat-Mite!

While reading your thread this morning I finally realized "Composite Warehouse" was a separate entity from "Rocketry Warehouse" ala Madcow Rocketry, although they both share some of the same kits. (I am sure there is a convoluted story surrounding that relationship, but that is none of my bee's wax). Anyhoot while perusing the CW site, I discovered their Lotus 3 kit. And low and behold, it is on sale for 50% off. Well... I just had to buy it!!!

So when my better half sees the new box in the build pile and scowls, I'ma gonna blame you for starting this thread that led me to the CW site!

See, it's not fault. I am completely innocent of my actions.... 👼

SkyFire

Reaction score
Well thx a lot Bat-Mite!

While reading your thread this morning I finally realized "Composite Warehouse" was a separate entity from "Rocketry Warehouse" ala Madcow Rocketry, although they both share some of the same kits. (I am sure there is a convoluted story surrounding that relationship, but that is none of my bee's wax). Anyhoot while perusing the CW site, I discovered their Lotus 3 kit. And low and behold, it is on sale for 50% off. Well... I just had to buy it!!!

So when my better half sees the new box in the build pile and scowls, I'ma gonna blame you for starting this thread that led me to the CW site!

See, it's not fault. I am completely innocent of my actions.... 👼
That's a cool rocket for a great price! Just the filament wound nose cone alone costs more than the entire kit on sale. I just built a rocket with the standard conical fiberglass nose cone. Because of the seams it took a lot of work to get it looking perfect. The FWNC is a big plus!

Tobor

Get your peanuts....
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Dammit Tobor! See what you made me do? I had to order one after reading your post.
Oh my my. This may be the beginning of an epidemic!
I say Nay Nay, It's not my fault.

Idunno

Reaction score
A few more teasers. Man, with working evening shift and my wife's broken foot, I just can't find much time to work on this.

Rocketman chute and D-bag
View attachment 434284

D-bag closed up (this is the Rocketman D-bag with the sewn on pilot chute)
View attachment 434285

MMT (not epoxied yet)
View attachment 434286
Are the allthread and nuts just to hold all the centering rings in place while you epoxy them? I assume they come out after the epoxy dries, right?

Rocketclar

Reaction score
Here's my X-Celerator (for the Fan Club) that's still flying. (Don't look too closely at the metalflake paint as you'll see lots of dings....) It has a Slimline Bell nozzle/retainer. It's rugged. Fell out of the sky at 4000' on only a drogue that was fired by a Quest Q2 backup charge as the other charges failed since they were suppose to be fired by the MJG firewire initiators. I got a box in 2015/2016 that had a 100% failure rate due to a raw material that was out of spec. MJG replaced my defective box. (I had reported on the failures before.) Because of the X-Celerator's ruggedness, I built my L3 project around their Blue Iguana V and it's proved to be rugged too.

Attachments

Tim51

Reaction score
Are the allthread and nuts just to hold all the centering rings in place while you epoxy them? I assume they come out after the epoxy dries, right?
I imagine so. That's certainly been the case with Bat-mite's other excellent build threads (check out 'My Quest for an O motor' thread if you haven't seen it already)

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
No, I leave them in to attach the thrust plate. They are super light aluminum and don't affect stability.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
So, a sad announcement. Due to a weird fluke, a boogered up the MMT to booster attachment, and the lower half needs to be replaced. I also put in one fin before I realized it was fouled.

I have a call and e-mail in to Madcow and an e-mail to Composite Warehouse. Neither has responded. Sigh. Maybe after Black Friday.

Idunno

Reaction score
No, I leave them in to attach the thrust plate. They are super light aluminum and don't affect stability.
My apologies if I am asking really obvious questions, I am still coming up to speed on construction techniques. I know what the purpose of a thrust ring is on a minimum diameter rocket. But you already have a motor mount and centering rings to take that force so why the thrust plate? Is this for added strength? Some sort of retention?

David Schwantz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I like to use a thrust ring as it transfers power directly to the airframe. If all is positioned correctly thrust is transmitted from thrust ring to the body tube, CRs, and the fins with no gaps in between.

David Schwantz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Rich, how bad of a booger is it? Can heat soften up the glue and could you remove it a start again?

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
Hey Rich, how bad of a booger is it? Can heat soften up the glue and could you remove it a start again?
It's John, but no worries. :) I might be able to do it with heat, but I'm not sure. I will try that if I get desperate.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
My apologies if I am asking really obvious questions, I am still coming up to speed on construction techniques. I know what the purpose of a thrust ring is on a minimum diameter rocket. But you already have a motor mount and centering rings to take that force so why the thrust plate? Is this for added strength? Some sort of retention?
I like to use a thrust ring as it transfers power directly to the airframe. If all is positioned correctly thrust is transmitted from thrust ring to the body tube, CRs, and the fins with no gaps in between.
Bingo. I don't need to epoxy the two middle CRs. I just put a fillet on the top one (the one that gets tugged by the drogue harness), and the bottom one to the lower fins. Then the thrust plate takes all the force of the motor. Not a good idea to use one if the extra weight makes the rocket unstable. But the lack of epoxy on the other CRs kind of balances out.

Idunno

Reaction score
Bingo. I don't need to epoxy the two middle CRs. I just put a fillet on the top one (the one that gets tugged by the drogue harness), and the bottom one to the lower fins. Then the thrust plate takes all the force of the motor. Not a good idea to use one if the extra weight makes the rocket unstable. But the lack of epoxy on the other CRs kind of balances out.
OK I see. I assume you have internal fillets? If so I would think the two middle CR's get some epoxy. Thanks for explaining, I look forward to the rest of your build. It's good to see different ways of doing things.

David Schwantz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi John, sorry bout that. Where the h3ll did I come up with Rich??

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
Got the easy part done! NC coupler and eyebolt installed, AV-to-payload rivets drilled, NC to payload shear pins drilled, tapped. Everything except adding the wrap and attaching the alt. switches.

1605631053065.png

1605631075321.png

1605631096487.png

crossfire

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The 2 large holes on switch band are for the switches? The 2 large hole don't effect altimeter function?