Composite/Rocketry Warehouse X-Celerator take 2!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey John,
Were you ever able to salvage the MMT or booster?
See above. New parts have arrived. Now that I know I have what I need to finish the build, I may play around with trying to salvage the old stuff.

See above. New parts have arrived. Now that I know I have what I need to finish the build, I may play around with trying to salvage the old stuff.
Yeppers, give the mallet a whirl.....

Side note: When I was much, much younger, I was a bike & snow ski mechanic. The nickname we used for our rubber mallet was "The Italian Speed Wrench". Just had to put that out there....

Yeah, what about those people? ;) Actually, you can't see them in the picture, but I do have three equal-size holes in the band, on 120*. Sometimes I use four, especially on bigger rockets where I don't want humongous holes. You could even use five or more, but you have to have room for switches, if you use external switches like I do.

The key is to get enough air into the bay for accurate sampling, and you don't want to create a weird pressure differential where air is rushing in but can't get out, or vice versa. Some people go with one hole, but I don't like that method. Air is fighting to get in and out of the same small hole. If using one hole, I'd go with one bigger than the calculator recommends.
Old timers rule. Only use a odd number of vent holes. That way they will not line up with each other. Cross wind used to set altimeters of when arming.

Yeah, what about those people? ;) Actually, you can't see them in the picture, but I do have three equal-size holes in the band, on 120*. Sometimes I use four, especially on bigger rockets where I don't want humongous holes. You could even use five or more, but you have to have room for switches, if you use external switches like I do.

The key is to get enough air into the bay for accurate sampling, and you don't want to create a weird pressure differential where air is rushing in but can't get out, or vice versa. Some people go with one hole, but I don't like that method. Air is fighting to get in and out of the same small hole. If using one hole, I'd go with one bigger than the calculator recommends.

I ask this because I was told by someone it isn't necessary to drill 3 holes when using modern altimeters with accelerometers. For this type one hole is sufficient. I was wondering if anyone else can confirm this hearsay?

I ask this because I was told by someone it isn't necessary to drill 3 holes when using modern altimeters with accelerometers. For this type one hole is sufficient. I was wondering if anyone else can confirm this hearsay?
Not all "modern" altimeters have accelerometers. It is an extra feature that is expensive. I don't own any, but it seems logical that having an accelerometer might change the need for barometric accuracy.

If an altimeter has a barometric sensor, then the size of the holes that it uses to sense need to conform to all previous stated guidelines for said device, otherwise it's getting garbage information regardless of the use of an accelerometer or not.

Hey John,

Very clean looking bird! I've always enjoyed your threads. I was curious, what are you using for tracking and any pictures of the nose cone bay sled/components? Also, what reloads do you plan on using (given waiver limitations)?

Fred, L2
ICBM, Camden, S.C.
KG4YGP

Hey John,

Very clean looking bird! I've always enjoyed your threads. I was curious, what are you using for tracking and any pictures of the nose cone bay sled/components? Also, what reloads do you plan on using (given waiver limitations)?

Fred, L2
ICBM, Camden, S.C.
KG4YGP
Thanks. I use a BRB900. I slide the transmitter into a piece of pipe insulation, drop that in a plastic pill bottle, then duct tape the hole thing to the payload harness.

Flight planned for January 9 will be with a Loki K960 that I have sitting around.

SHE'S FINISHED!

Booster built:

1608753904028.png

1608753927328.png

Shear pins in booster:

1608753960785.png

Vent hole in booster:

1608753991576.png

Top half of the booster wrap on:

1608754018660.png

Bottom half:

1608754041424.png

And, here she is. I didn't get the wrap 100% straight, but it was a beast.

1608754094512.png

Rail buttons (1515) are on, too, but I didn't take a picture.

Nice work John! Can't wait for the launch. Unless it's windy with a 100' ceiling....then I can wait.
Looking like it's going to be frigid, but the clouds and wind should cooperate. Of course, you never know with the Eastern Shore.

Got the final mass (14 lb.) and actual CG (51.5" from NC tip) and sim updated. Coming in at 5043' with a max acceleration of 18G.

Ground tested and settled in on 1.6g and 1.9g as primary and back-up for each section.

That was what I noticed too, if that's the same girl in the first pic, she has grown a foot taller since you built the first rocket!
Also, there's some white stuff on the ground that doesn't look natural. Might want to remove it before it spreads...

Stayed up longer on drogue due to winds aloft. That sucker really floated a good bit under drogue.

That was a long defense game. The team looked happy they got to make up for last year's previous playoff match
I thought they had lost it in the first ten minutes. What a pleasant surprise. And then to have the Browns knock out the Steelers last night ... I had a nice Sunday.

I thought they had lost it in the first ten minutes. What a pleasant surprise. And then to have the Browns knock out the Steelers last night ... I had a nice Sunday.

I'm happy that the Browns are doing much better, they had a rough patch a few years ago. But if they let it get to their heads and get full of themselves, they'll get consigned to my hope-they-lose list (along with 3/4 of the NN)

Back