Composite/Rocketry Warehouse X-Celerator take 2!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
Life is a story. Back in 2014 when I got my level 2, I decided to build my first fiberglass rocket. I picked the then (then) Rocketry Warehouse X-Celerator. Mark at StickerShock23 made me an awesome wrap, and I named it "Skyburner."

Here she was with the stock plastic NC:

1599083099039.png

And I later upgraded to a black FWFG NC.

I had go fever something awful back then, and on a day that was too breezy, I desperately wanted to launch my first L motor. Everything was prepped, motor built, and I didn't listen to my subconscious mind and postpone the launch. I expected about 9000 feet (which would have been a new record for me), and it was our last day at Higgs Farm until seven months later. I just couldn't not launch.

And it had GPS in it. What could go wrong?

Well, it disappeared, and the GPS coordinates I got back led me to an irrigation ditch that goes out (eventually) to the Chesapeake Bay. No rocket. Altimeter, motor hardware, retainer, chutes, GPS transmitter ... everything gone.

I loved that rocket, and have often thought about a rebuild. Well, I just bought one from Composite Warehouse. It has a 4" longer FWFG NC, but everything else is the same. When Mark is back on his feet, I hope to get him to redo the wrap.

I have ordered accessories from MAC Performance, OneBadHawk, and Missileworks. I have the rocket washed and in my basement. Unfortunately, my wife just broke her foot, and I am now having to do my jobs, her jobs, and take care of her. So no building time right now. But when I do, maybe I'll post a few build pics.

Yes!!!!!

I love “building back” sentimental favorites

I personally did that late last year and hope to again soon.

I have one of these in the box. I haven’t flown anything in two years, but after attending Airfest this past weekend, I’m itching to fly again. I’ve decided this will be my “first” build back. I’ll be watching this thread with excitement!

I have one also. Need restart building. Level 3 and now COVID destroyed my ambition to build and fly.
Yikes! Don't let that happen. Although I admit, I have not been out to fly since February. Looking forward to it, though.

Meanwhile, though I haven't built anything, I have been ordering stuff (Rocketman chute, D-bag with pilot; Doghouse wiring and wells; OneBadHawk harnesses and hardware; Missileworks RRC3; SCP Concepts thrust plate). And finishing my OR file:

1600287778271.png

Yikes! Don't let that happen. Although I admit, I have not been out to fly since February. Looking forward to it, though.

Meanwhile, though I haven't built anything, I have been ordering stuff (Rocketman chute, D-bag with pilot; Doghouse wiring and wells; OneBadHawk harnesses and hardware; Missileworks RRC3; SCP Concepts thrust plate). And finishing my OR file:

View attachment 431967
Will this be a full wrap a la Stickershock?

Yikes! Don't let that happen. Although I admit, I have not been out to fly since February. Looking forward to it,
I have one also. Need restart building. Level 3 and now COVID destroyed my ambition to build and fly.

+1. Same thing here. When the national lockdown started here in late March I started thinking about all the builds I could do, but the enthusiasm soon died. In the end the thought of having a load of unflown rockets had no charm at all, so I repaired / refurbed a few existing birds, and ordered a few motors. I just wanted to get back to flying, and at that point it wasn't clear when that would be.
We finally had our first post lockdown club meet at the start of this month (lockdown, followed by harvest), and it was a beautiful day, but tinged with a sadness. So much had happened since the last time we'd all been together at the range. Looking forwards to a two day event this weekend, but the "hunger" is more for motors and flying what I have rsther than any more builds. Something tells me it'll be like that for a while.
Great build by the way.

I also just ordered a kit after not building a rocket in over a year. I ordered a Madcow 4" fiberglass DX3 XL during their Labor Day sale. Then I also ordered a retainer, a harness, some rail buttons, a quart of Aeropoxy . . . Here we go again.

I decided that after not having built a rocket in over 2 years, the WM Punisher 3 would be my first build. But since it’s like riding a bike, that X-Celerater is calling my name from inside that cardboard box...

So far I've spent over $850 on this sucker, and that doesn't include the StickerShock decal I've yet to order, the RocketPoxy I already had, some hardware I already had, and an RRC2+ I already had. Sheesh!

So far I've spent over $850 on this sucker, and that doesn't include the StickerShock decal I've yet to order, the RocketPoxy I already had, some hardware I already had, and an RRC2+ I already had. Sheesh!
How do you have that much into it?

The kit, harnesses, hardware, extra CR, aluminum thrust plate, RRC3, Rocketman main and D-bag, rail buttons, charge wells, wiring, ...

The kit, harnesses, hardware, extra CR, aluminum thrust plate, RRC3, Rocketman main and D-bag, rail buttons, charge wells, wiring, ...

That’s why most of my recovery gear gets used in multiple rockets. Saves lots of $$$

Most all of my 4" rockets share recovery gear, altimeters, years ago I used to use the same coupler avbay in 4 differant rockets. To each their own it's their project

sounds about right

I have about 1k in my Drago 4 “EX-1127”. That includes electronics and full recovery gear.

Good thing a lot of items are reusable. Just trying to see where the 1k is? Motor hardwear to?
I share stuff between rockets of the same size, but this is my only 4". So, all knew stuff. My 7.5" and 8" rockets all share the same AV sled and electronics.

I think I have a full list of expenses somewhere. No, no casing, but crazy shipping adds up :-/

like bat-mite, I intend on sharing components, but again similarly, this is my only current 4”

A few more teasers. Man, with working evening shift and my wife's broken foot, I just can't find much time to work on this.

Rocketman chute and D-bag
1602186008790.png

D-bag closed up (this is the Rocketman D-bag with the sewn on pilot chute)
1602186152312.png

MMT (not epoxied yet)
1602186185244.png

And, what everybody REALLY wants to see -- the StickerShock23 full wrap!
1602186292095.png

Cool!
I have one on the way from Composite Warehouse. Those guys are great!
A couple of questions; What size main chute are you going to use? Are you putting a tail cone on it? Is there a good Rocksim file for this rocket?

Back