cheap and easy mask

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeenRocketNerd

Reaction score
I just tried this for the first time, with great results. I read this in Apogee's Designing a Model Rocket Book, and today was the first time it's been warm enough to even think about painting. The book said to use "celophane tape" (scotch tape) and stick it briefly to your forehead, to reduce the amount of "stickiness" on the backing. Then, go to town masking with the pieces. Man, it really gives nice, crisp lines, much better than painter's tape, IMO. I think this is a good alternative to buying automotive masking. Has anyone else tried this?

Yes, I use it in some cases, mostly modrocs and plastic models. I use it like frisket film when masking canopy frames and the like. The 3m "Magic brand satin (frosted) finish works best. Don't leave it on for any longer than necessary as the adhesive bond gets stronger over time.

That said, it will never replace the blue fine line auto tape - fine line is stretchy and much easier to apply over compound curves (i.e. nose noses) and you can make tightly curved shapes of any size.

Cello/scotch tape cannot be curved or worked to conform to compound curve shapes.

Where can you buy 3M Fine Line tape? There are a few places online, but do any retail stores have it?

yep,that was the best price I found, even better than the local stores.fast shipping too

Back