cheap altimiter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joey1117

Reaction score
I just got home from our meijers store and they now sell a max trax rocket for 21.99.but here is the best thing it comes with an altimiter! hey for that money i bought it to put in my bigger rockets and will use the rest for parts
joe

After scouring the web, I found this at eHobbies.

https://store.yahoo.com/ehobbies-com/rk-est-1434.html

I am quite curious to see one of these up close or at least read a review. It is made by Estes and comes in an RTF started set. Why oh why haven't we heard of this before? It doesn't appear in the '02 catalog either.

I'm also curious what the max altitude reading is.

Anyone? Opinions?

Joey:
that estes MaqxTraxx is not really an altimeter....its actually a timer with a streamer attached that is ejected at apogee and then it times itself until it hits the ground and then calculates the altitude.......

anyway.....if you do a google search on rec.models.rockets for maxtraxx(sp?) you will see a very good review on it.......basically its a TOY not a real altimeter.............sorry

You should go to EMRR and see Nick's review....everything you ever wanted to know.

i've read all the negative about this unit. I have one and while I as well, experienced some troubles, with the exception of the first flight, the unit performs as advertised.

No reading on the first flight. Second on a C6-5 - 651', reasonable on this motor rocket combination. rest on C6-5's similar withing a few feet one way or the other.

However, my unit did experience a problem. The bottom row of segments on the LCD went out on the last launch. It's boxed up and on it's way back to Estes right now. We'll see how good thier turn around is.

You can test the unit very easily. Here is how it works. There is a switch on the side that does not start the timer, it appears that it still requires the mechnical Q switch to be triggered as well. it's a little wire cage that surrounds a spring on the Circuit board. It also appears that most people are having troubles because the unit lands mostly on it's side and not it's nose. I sent Estes a note to ask about that the ineffectiveness of the streamer. Hopefully, they will ask and engineer who will tell them to attache the streamer at the end or if in the middle to use 24" instead of 12. Would be worth some experimentation.

One note, I was the hit of the launch with the unit. Everyone wanted one, warts and all. They are very cool. Now if I could figure out how to deploy one from an HPR, that would be too cool!

Alan

well after taking the kids out today to test the new rocket we loaded a c6-5 lit the thing recovered it ...no reading!did it again ...no reading and so on and on about five flights nothing .now if i hold it and through it in the air it works great but not in the rocket any thoughts?maybe too long of a delay and it was REALLY windy today not real impressed with it but it is fun ....maybe convert it to a 29mm just to watch it go away.(i hate when things dont work)
joe

Back