Estes Cosmos Mariner - what to do with it ;-)?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As I know this is a special favourite of yours, this might be a bit of fun ;)

I bought it as part of a bigger package, together with other rockets, as I liked the theme and shape.
Knowing well that gliders can be quite tricky, but without having investigated furhter at that point in time.
Then afterwards starting to investigate what I actually had bought, the full (sad) story materialised quite soon.
But hey, now that I anyway have it, question is what to do with it - suggestions welcome!
And as I started the "poll" I will give it a start:

1.) keep it seald and put it to the bin
2.) build it with as little as possible efforts and go for an expected one-off launch on the green field, with no spectators at all, me wearing safty gear
3.) build it with attention to detail and make it a shelf-queen
4.) ...

Now you :bravo:

P.S.: Anyone around here got it seriously flying?

Attachments

• Cosmos Mariner_1.jpeg
    Cosmos Mariner_1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • Cosmos Mariner_2.jpeg
    Cosmos Mariner_2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I built one. Got it to glide a couple times, out of several launches. It can get done! But it's unlikely.

If it was mine, I would build it and fly it. Most of the reviews that I have seen noted that it was heavy and underpowered so I would build it light and perhaps use a larger composite motor.

I have an SRX that I purchased built but not painted. I plan to finish it up and fly it when I get the chance. I will probably launch it with a Quest 18mm composite D when I get it done.

If it was mine, I would build it and fly it. Most of the reviews that I have seen noted that it was heavy and underpowered so I would build it light and perhaps use a larger composite motor.

I have an SRX that I purchased built but not painted. I plan to finish it up and fly it when I get the chance. I will probably launch it with a Quest 18mm composite D when I get it done.
I think I will just give it a try with the (here easily available) Klima D9-5

No GIF

🙃

So it is confirmed that it has certain glider abilities 😉😀!
Thanks for sharing
And that was an Estes D11-P which may be a good match for the Klima D9, though maybe a D9-3 instead.

kj

Attachments

• klimaD9vsestesD11.JPG
    klimaD9vsestesD11.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 0
I built one. First flight was a disaster as it weather cocked badly then weather cocked back the other way. Motor burned out and it tumbled to the ground with no harm done.

Added a little nose weight and got a better flight out of it but it still incredibly susceptible to any minor wind. Again, tumbled to the ground and landed it tall weeds. Took a while to find but no harm done.

Never got it to glide, never really got a good flight out of it. Gave it to a buddy before I crashed it. Hated everything except the build. The build was kinda fun :)

Last edited:
Back