Charging Lithium Carbonite Batteries

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As I am getting into dual deploy and E-bay electronics, a lot of the 1S batteries that are recommended for use with different vendor products come marked as "Lithium Carbonite" batteries. That is not helpful, since both LiPo and Li-ion batteries can use Li-carbonite in the cathode. So, the question is, should you use the LiPo or Li-Ion setting on the charger to charge these batteries? It's not obvious nor intuitive, the batteries are delivered without any charging instructions and I can't find a reference on my internet searches for either option. TIA.

If they're brand new, what voltage do they read at? Charging 1/2C to 3.6/4.1V -should- be pretty safe, but that's just my opinion.

If they're brand new, what voltage do they read at? Charging 1/2C to 3.6/4.1V -should- be pretty safe, but that's just my opinion.
The charging voltage isn't my concern, it's which charging regime (LiPo vs. Li-Ion) to use. The charger has them as two different methods for a reason. I am assuming the 1S Lithium Carbonite batteries are LiPo, but it isn't explicitly denoted.

The charging voltage isn't my concern, it's which charging regime (LiPo vs. Li-Ion) to use. The charger has them as two different methods for a reason. I am assuming the 1S Lithium Carbonite batteries are LiPo, but it isn't explicitly denoted.
I believe the regime is just "how fast" to "how high". Is the nominal voltage marked?

Li-poly chargers charge to 4.2V per cell (unless they're the so-called high voltage cells that can go to 4.35v). Lithium ion cells (the typical cylindrical types anyway) used to be charged to 4.1V/cell, but now I see that some chemistries go to the same 4.2V as pouch-type li-polys. Cylindrical cells also used to be less tolerant of high charge rates (though of course Tesla is changing that :) ).

Your charger's li-ion setting probably goes to 4.1V before going into constant voltage charge mode, vs. 4.2V for li-poly. The rate, of course, depends on the cell capacity. Choosing li-ion would be more conservative, then. How much of the cell's nominal capacity will you be needing in your application?

This is a long-winded way to say pretty much what dhbarr has said. Chaging to 4.1V will be safe, which is probably what your charger's li-ion setting does.

Li-poly chargers charge to 4.2V per cell (unless they're the so-called high voltage cells that can go to 4.35v). Lithium ion cells (the typical cylindrical types anyway) used to be charged to 4.1V/cell, but now I see that some chemistries go to the same 4.2V as pouch-type li-polys. Cylindrical cells also used to be less tolerant of high charge rates (though of course Tesla is changing that :) ).

Your charger's li-ion setting probably goes to 4.1V before going into constant voltage charge mode, vs. 4.2V for li-poly. The rate, of course, depends on the cell capacity. Choosing li-ion would be more conservative, then. How much of the cell's nominal capacity will you be needing in your application?

This is a long-winded way to say pretty much what dhbarr has said. Chaging to 4.1V will be safe, which is probably what your charger's li-ion setting does.
Thanks. That helps.

Back