LiPo/LiOn/LiFe references?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdjsky01

Kim's Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ok a broad subject. So point me to the threads if this is LONG since hashed out. I can read. But searching brings up a lot of fluff.
For those powering their altimeters from Lithium style batteries:

Specifically for charges, do you just use a single battery? Or separate for the deployment? How many cells (for low current ematches) if separate? Or if a single battery? The EggTimer quark implies a simple 2S pack will do,

I know there are a lot of variables. Just asking. I have never used anything other than 9v batteries, and never really been an issue, I just make sure that are > 9.1v before flight. No I don't replace them after every flight. Just making sure they are > 9.1v seems to be fine. Then I use the ones that are less in smoke detectors (as long as > 9v). They work fine.

I am looking to change to LiPo's or LiOn, (or even 3.6 600mah 18500s)? as I have a few more modern things (from like EggTimer) than are powered from 3.7v on up. They don't need a 9v. And 9v are not 'cheap' compared.

Like the Quark, it has one connector. But the Classic has separate battery connectors. I am not relishing three batteries. I guess part of the point is to be able to fit in a smaller space. A 9v and holder are heavy(ier) and require a certain space. Whereas I see 300mah 20C 2S LiPo's on eBay (for drones I guess) that would work? And 9v's are not recharagable.

Anyway what in your ebay? Not talking MASSIVE rockets. Still, from D's to J's.
Anyone recommend 2S cells (premade). And do small cells like that still need a balance charger? Not to worry, I have one (I used to be into Park Flyers). Just askin' as I see some packs don't have a balance tap.

Ok a broad subject. So point me to the threads if this is LONG since hashed out. I can read. But searching brings up a lot of fluff.
For those powering their altimeters from Lithium style batteries:

Specifically for charges, do you just use a single battery? Or separate for the deployment? How many cells (for low current ematches) if separate? Or if a single battery? The EggTimer quark implies a simple 2S pack will do,

I know there are a lot of variables. Just asking. I have never used anything other than 9v batteries, and never really been an issue, I just make sure that are > 9.1v before flight. No I don't replace them after every flight. Just making sure they are > 9.1v seems to be fine. Then I use the ones that are less in smoke detectors (as long as > 9v). They work fine.

I am looking to change to LiPo's or LiOn, (or even 3.6 600mah 18500s)? as I have a few more modern things (from like EggTimer) than are powered from 3.7v on up. They don't need a 9v. And 9v are not 'cheap' compared.

Like the Quark, it has one connector. But the Classic has separate battery connectors. I am not relishing three batteries. I guess part of the point is to be able to fit in a smaller space. A 9v and holder are heavy(ier) and require a certain space. Whereas I see 300mah 20C 2S LiPo's on eBay (for drones I guess) that would work? And 9v's are not recharagable.

Anyway what in your ebay? Not talking MASSIVE rockets. Still, from D's to J's.
Anyone recommend 2S cells (premade). And do small cells like that still need a balance charger? Not to worry, I have one (I used to be into Park Flyers). Just askin' as I see some packs don't have a balance tap.
Rarely do I fly two batteries per altimeter....unless doing airstarts. My RRC3gets a steady diet of 9V batteries, my Quarks 180mah LiPo, and the wifi enabled products get 300mah LiPo's, trackers (Eggfinders) get larger batteries in the 400+mah LiPo sizes, except for the TRS which is both a tracker and a deployment altimeter, it gets two LiPos. As for chemistry I use mainly LiPo's cuz they are cheaper, but my old school ProSeries launch controller uses two 7.4v LiMh iirc (direct replacement for the NiCd RC car packs.

I use a single 9 volt battery per altimeter usually. I use redundant altimeters. Nothing fancy, just two separate altimeters with a battery and switch for each. Two sets of charge holders. I’ve used batteries down to 8.72 (that’s not a threshold for future reference, just history).

I use the small 2S LiPo 200 to 400mA-Hr batteries sold for electric copters or aircraft. 2S is about perfect to power eggtimer and other altimeters and the ones for electric aircraft will put out many Amps to fire any Ematch and many motor ignites (used for 2nd stage air-start).
I have only run one battery per altimeter. Haven't really seen a need for dual batteries yet. Maybe if I get to flying L3 sized rockets then dual battery per altimeter will be desired.

You do want LiPo and without any protection circuits built in as these can severely limit current causing non-firing of ematches and possibly re-setting of the Altimeter.

A 200-400mA-Hr Lipo is smaller and lighter than a 9V battery and can output a lot more current.

I typically do not balance charge these 2S LiPo's unless I see that the two cells have a bit difference in Voltage.

my two cents.

I use very small 2S 300mah 45C batteries with my commercial altimeters. They are about the same size or smaller than a 9v. I do not run a separate battery for pyros, unless I am doing something exotic. Most of the modern altimeters have current limiting drivers and brown-out caps. That won't protect against every possible situation, but that is why we always run redundant altimeters and pyros in dual-deploy. I also only use high quality eMatches for my altimeters. Cheap "orangies" are great for making pad ignitors, but they can pull 2-3amps to pop sometimes. The good commercial ignitors (like MJG) only require .5A to fire reliably. If you are making your own eMatches and using a 15 year old altimeter you might want to consider a separate pyro battery circuit.

The advantage of the lipo is threefold: 1) I don't need to remove it to replace or recharge it. I charge it in place on the sled using a charger that only requires the three pin balance plug. 2) 9v batteries are not all created equal. Many of them just have six small cells that aren't even soldered together inside the shell, so high g and/or vibration can cause power drops. 3) Replacements -- I'd never fly a 9v twice, so when I was flying with 9v batteries I was burning through a lot of them and always needed to make sure I had them on hand. It seemed like such a waste when flying a lot.

I use the small 2S LiPo 200 to 400mA-Hr batteries sold for electric copters or aircraft. 2S is about perfect to power eggtimer and other altimeters and the ones for electric aircraft will put out many Amps to fire any Ematch and many motor ignites (used for 2nd stage air-start).
I have only run one battery per altimeter. Haven't really seen a need for dual batteries yet. Maybe if I get to flying L3 sized rockets then dual battery per altimeter will be desired.

You do want LiPo and without any protection circuits built in as these can severely limit current causing non-firing of ematches and possibly re-setting of the Altimeter.

A 200-400mA-Hr Lipo is smaller and lighter than a 9V battery and can output a lot more current.

I typically do not balance charge these 2S LiPo's unless I see that the two cells have a bit difference in Voltage.
ALWAYS balance charge multi-cell LiPos. If you don't one cell could over charge which is a fire risk.

Well, back in the day, we did not have 'balance' chargers. But I know they are much safer.
I have one... but rarely used to use the external balance board as my GWS park flyers could care less.
Of course 6S 6000mah bombs, need to be treated with respect!!
:)

Back