Blue Raven in 29mm bulkhead form factor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. I have a sample of a LOC 1.14 coupler as well as the BMS C52H-34. Will probably order some Apogee thin-wall 29mm couplers here soon. I should post up a comparison.

Alternately, the standard Blue Raven will fit fine in the BMS C52H-34 if mounted longitudinally.

Last edited:
I am definitely in for one or more of these eventually.

Just to confirm, it fits in the coupler with a 0.977 ID that is a centering ring between 29 MMT and BT-50?
@SolarYellow --

See @Neutronium95's Post #78

I've been researching parts for this gadget for a while but I don't have one in hand yet to play with so YMMV ...

I believe they SHOULD fit inside a 1.026 ID Always Ready Rocketry Standard 29mm Blue Tube Couplers ( but not inside the 0.980 ID SEM-CPL-52H-4 Couplers available from eRockets ).

I also believe you'll need to be clever with the width of the sled and the height of the components above the centerline of the coupler.

-- kjh

EDIT: too slow gathering my notes ... @Adrian A already answered.

Last edited:
I finally completed my production test fixture, and the first production units are ready to ship.

I'm working on information about this product for the website.

One way to install this altimeter is just flat on a sled like a regular altimeter, but taking up less space. As an example, here is an av-bay sled that fits into a 29mm coupler. The only wiring needed was to connect the battery via an extension cord, because the magnetically-activated power switch is built into the altimeter. This makes it even easier to install than the original Blue Raven.

View attachment 634633

The charges are connected to the mounting screws on the underside of the board, like so:

View attachment 634634

This example is for an av-bay sled that fits into a 29mm coupler. In a more typical av-bay you could do it the same way, but with more breathing room.

I'll include the hardware needed for this type of installation in the standard product. I will also have mounting kits available for an installation where the 29mm Blue Raven is mounted across the diameter, and the threaded rods for the av-bay are the terminals. More on this in another post.
These new altimeters will be ready to order from the website today or tomorrow.

I should have the website updated for ordering today or tomorrow.
That is beautiful, @Adrian A !

What are the dimensions of your sled ?

And what hardware do you have in mind for the kit ?

Thanks !

-- kjh

@SolarYellow --

See @Neutronium95's Post #78

I've been researching parts for this gadget for a while but I don't have one in hand yet to play with so YMMV ...

I believe they SHOULD fit inside a 1.026 ID Always Ready Rocketry Standard 29mm Blue Tube Couplers ( but not inside the 0.980 ID SEM-CPL-52H-4 Couplers available from eRockets ).

I also believe you'll need to be clever with the width of the sled and the height of the components above the centerline of the coupler.

-- kjh

EDIT: too slow gathering my notes ... @Adrian A already answered.

Pasted from the Apogee site:

1.14" (29MM) LOC COUPLER​

• Model: 13154
  • Qty per pack: 1
  • Material: Kraft Paper
  • Weight: 6.7 g (0.23 oz)
  • Length/Thickness: 2.5" (6.35 cm)
  • Inner Diameter: 1.006" (2.56 cm)
  • Outer Diameter: 1.127" (2.86 cm)
  • Manuf. Model #: TC-1.14
  • Manufactured by: LOC Precision Rocketry

29MM BLUE TUBE COUPLER​

• Model: 13100
  • Qty per pack: 1
  • Material: High Density, High Strength Paper
  • Weight: 15.8 g (0.55 oz)
  • Length/Thickness: 8" (20.32 cm)
  • Inner Diameter: 1.007" (2.56 cm)
  • Outer Diameter: 1.132" (2.88 cm)
  • Manufactured by: Always Ready Rocketry

AC-29A COUPLER​

• Model: 13010
  • Qty per pack: 3
  • Material: Red Paper
  • Weight: 2.3 g (0.08 oz)
  • Length/Thickness: 2.5" (6.35 cm)
  • Inner Diameter: 1.098" (2.79 cm)
  • Outer Diameter: 1.134" (2.88 cm)
  • Manufactured by: Apogee

From BMS:
C52H-341.137x.977x34inch T52H coupler stock .080thk$6.00BUY

Note that has an ID to work as a centering ring from BT-50 to 29MMT or Quest 30mm (which appears to be the same as Apogee's "thin wall" 29mm).

@Adrian A --

I just now re-visited the Featherweight Blue Raven Altimeter Page and ...

WoW !

The new 29mm Av-Bay Kit designed around the 1-inch diameter Blue Raven is beautiful !

Now you've got me thinking about redesigning the 29mm Av-Bay around your new 1-inch diameter Blue Raven and the 29mm Av-Bay Kit in my almost-ready-to-fly BT-55 Rocket ...

One ( maybe dumb ) Q:

The LiPo Charger Connection on the 38mm Av-Bay is a GREAT feature ...

Would it be possible for one to wire your LiPo Charger into either 29mm Av-Bay so the battery could be recharged without disassembly ?

Thanks !

-- kjh

@Adrian A --

I just now re-visited the Featherweight Blue Raven Altimeter Page and ...

WoW !

The new 29mm Av-Bay Kit designed around the 1-inch diameter Blue Raven is beautiful !

Now you've got me thinking about redesigning the 29mm Av-Bay around your new 1-inch diameter Blue Raven and the 29mm Av-Bay Kit in my almost-ready-to-fly BT-55 Rocket ...

One ( maybe dumb ) Q:

The LiPo Charger Connection on the 38mm Av-Bay is a GREAT feature ...

Would it be possible for one to wire your LiPo Charger into either 29mm Av-Bay so the battery could be recharged without disassembly ?

Thanks !

-- kjh
Thanks, kjh!

Yes, the dual battery charger is designed so that it can be wired in place. Each of the short ends of the board have 2 plated through holes (PTH) that are connected inside the board to the battery connector. The idea is that you can plug the battery into the battery connector on the board, and use the PTH to wire out to the tracker or altimeter that you want to power. Then you can leave the battery in place and just charge it by plugging into the standard USB micro connector that's on the board.

Earlier this year a professional client tested a board of mine for an application that had 20,000 Gs. It did fine. It was a 1.5" diameter circular circuit board in 93 mil thickness, and honestly that extra thickness was probably overkill also, but that G level was a little out of my experience range so we went for some extra factor of safety. I've been producing 29mm and 38mm diameter rocketry circuit boards in standard thickness since 2010, and the weakest link on those products is the surface-mounted header connector for the Raven, if you put too much bending on the Raven while it's clamped onto the pins. No broken caps.
20,000 Gs?

More like a steel block hitting another steel block embedded in a concrete floor.

Based on other flight data I have seen, the lawn dart rocket above probably had about 500-1000 Gs of acceleration.

Back